DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced a few times new recordings deleting themselves. Today I recorded the NHL hockey game on VS. I was watching other shows and flipping back to the hockey game. When the game ended I was watching another channel, so I went back into the VOD guide to watch the hockey game again and it was gone.

I went to the history and it said it was deleted, but I did not prompt it to be deleted.

Any suggestions for this one? Is there any way to recover a deleted show?

Thanks!

J.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
There is no way to recover a deleted show.
However, there is a bug in the system that if you stop an recording early and tell it to KEEP... it doesn't show in your MyVod till after a reboot.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
JDogHooey said:
Has anyone else experienced this automatic delete issue or am I the lucky one?
No, you're definitely NOT the only one. I've had the HR20 about 4 weeks, and have had at least *7* instances of this happening (oh yes, I'm counting them!).

And they're all sporting events for some reason (although not all special 'extra' sports pay packages). Have lost 2 college football on MPEG4 local networks, 1 college football on ESPN-HD, 2 NFL games on Sunday Ticket, 1 Sharks game on FSNBA-HD, and 1 other hockey game on OLN/VS. Strange that there's never been a loss of a regular (non-sports) programming though.

The recording settings always appear properly in the "To-Do" list, the front light comes on OK during the recording time and the event appears with the live 'R' next to it in "MyVOD"................but as soon as the event is over, it disappears from "MyVOD" and is listed as 'Deleted' in the History. Even though NO ONE deleted it, and there is PLENTY of space available on the hard-drive.

Very, very, very frustrating and upsetting. I'm mighty tired of it. Luckily haven't lost any other Sharks games or any Steelers games (my 2 favorite teams).......yet!

Earl, could you please give an update on if there's an official D*TV bug or stance on randomly deleted programs??!!?? I've seen this same problem attiributed to add-on sports package channels (like 'Sunday Ticket' or 'ESPN Gameplan'), and also to the changing of title data in the guide, and to stopping the recording too early, and to manually scheduling a specific time-frame recording (rather than selecting the guide 'box' for the game), and to a rebooting of the box, etc, etc, etc!!

But it just seems like that's WAY too many mentions of this kind of problem for it to be a coincedence or for it to be ignored. Earl, please tell us this is being looked at and/or addressed........?!? Please....??

· AllStar
56 Posts
I've mysteriously lost many shows. Sometimes they show up as "deleted" and sometimes "partial". They've included both sports and non-sports.

· Icon
777 Posts
When these shows disappear, are you padding them at the end? I was recording (and watching) the race yesterday and had it padded for an hour. It only recorded 4 hours (normal schedule). It didn't disappear, possibly because we were watching it delayed at the time.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Lost ANOTHER game today! And it was my Steelers!!! Can't believe I didn't get to watch them beat up on Kansas City.....!!

This is completely unacceptable. My old original Hughes 30-Gig Series-1 TiVo was WAY, WAY more reliable. And that was 7+ year old technology. The very LEAST thing a DVR should do is be able to record a selected program and keep it for future viewing. Just that one single thing....!

Can someone PLEASE tell me if and when D*TV plans to address this?!!!?

· Cool Member
18 Posts
kevincmccallum said:
Lost ANOTHER game today! And it was my Steelers!!! Can't believe I didn't get to watch them beat up on Kansas City.....!!

This is completely unacceptable. Can someone PLEASE tell me if and when D*TV plans to address this?!!!?
Wanted to also mention this lost event was NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan HD channel (725). And that this time the event was marked as "Cancelled" in the 'History' list (rather than "Deleted").

So add-on sports packages seem to have the most trouble with the random auto-deletes.

· DBSTalk Club Member
49 Posts
I may have figured out at least one way this can happen. If you lose the sat signal to the channel that something is recording, it will stop the recording and auto delete the show, no matter how much was recorded.

I was recording the mets/cards game just now and it started raining slightly (barely sprinkling, so i lost my mpeg4 locals). I was about 45 minutes behind live tv in watching the recording, and the stupid "Lost signal on sat input 1 (771)" message comes up and stays on my screen for awhile [Is there any way to get that to go away?]. Then all of a sudden it stops recording (orange led turns off), stops playback, switches to another channel, and deletes the recording from myVOD.

This is unacceptable. Has anyone else run into this? I've also found that if you have something in the TODO list and you lose a sat slightly before it starts, it won't even record it and it will show up as "deleted" in your history. I'm guessing it's the same issue.

Give it a try. Start recording something, pull the sat cable, and wait a few minutes. $10 says it will delete what it already had recorded. Maybe now that it is repeatable D* can easily/quickly fix this one for the next release?!

Granted, it shouldn't record a bunch of nothing if the signal goes out, but when it comes back, it should continue recording and append to the previous position before it lost the signal. This is a BAD BUG! Don't delete my shows!

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
It must only but the "package sports" as I recorded a replay of a Hawaii Winter League baseball game on MASN this afternoon. Program was labled "Baseball" in the EPG......it recorded all 3 hours and showed in my VOD list in fact Im watching it now. I DO have an upcoming live game next week so I'll see if what everyone else is seeing happens with me too. Since I set up a "season pass" for the Hawaii Winter League games.

· Cool Member
31 Posts
jhindmon said:
I may have figured out at least one way this can happen. If you lose the sat signal to the channel that something is recording, it will stop the recording and auto delete the show, no matter how much was recorded...
I just had this happen today. I was recording 2 NFL games at the same time this morning; the Eagles/Saints game on the HD Network channel & the Seahawks/Rams game on a Sunday ticket channel. When I got home the Seahawk/Rams game was on the hard drive, but the Eagles/Saints was missing & showed as deleted in the History.

On the surface, it sounds like losing the sat signal could not have happened in my case because the one game kept recording, but I believe the Sunday Ticket channels & the HD Distant Network are on different satellites. So, it is possible I lost signal just from the satellite that carries that distant network feed.

This is a very serious bug! Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

· Icon
828 Posts
I lost the Nextel Cup race and Countdown to Green.
I pad C to G 1 minute on either end and pad the race 1 minute on the front and 3 hours (for rain delays) on the back end.
Both showed up in history as "partial-deleted".
Very frustrating and we have out of town friends visiting who I think may have been ripe for conversion to D* from cable. I doubt that this deletion impressed them very much.
I have two hr20's and will make sure that I schedule races on both.
I will also schedule them on my old hr10 just for triple insurance.
I join everyone else in urging D* to put this problem at the top of the list for a new s/w correction.

· Godfather
425 Posts
I lost the Cowboys game that was recorded on my local HD CBS. History said deleted. Clear skys all day, so not due to loss of signal (although I had that issue last week with Lost). Fortunately, I recorded the game on my R-15 also.

· Icon
968 Posts
there is definitely a problem with this unit and the temporary sports channels (ie 701-799 & 94-98). when the game finishes and they put up the directv logo everything is fine.. but when that goes off the air, i'm guessing there is a "program not available" type of messages that is sent out on that channel and after 5-10 minutes of that being sent to the DVR it thinks you aren't authorized for that channel and stops and deletes the recording. this is extremely frustrating and it still baffles me how this type of stuff gets the D* engineers/beta testers. i have ran into this at least a half dozen times with my NHL:CI package... now i've just resorted to recording the games via the home teams RSN (over the years i've come to learn that CI picks up the home team's tv feed.... haven't been burned on this method yet.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the-sloth said:
there is definitely a problem with this unit and the temporary sports channels (ie 701-799 & 94-98). when the game finishes and they put up the directv logo everything is fine.. but when that goes off the air, i'm guessing there is a "program not available" type of messages that is sent out on that channel and after 5-10 minutes of that being sent to the DVR it thinks you aren't authorized for that channel and stops and deletes the recording. this is extremely frustrating and it still baffles me how this type of stuff gets the D* engineers/beta testers. i have ran into this at least a half dozen times with my NHL:CI package... now i've just resorted to recording the games via the home teams RSN (over the years i've come to learn that CI picks up the home team's tv feed.... haven't been burned on this method yet.
Sounds like a pretty logical explaination but it is completely unacceptable for D*. What's the point of having a DVR if you can't record what you want to watch?

· Mentor
31 Posts
It's not just sports channels. I've had 3 shows in 2 weeks that show up in history as deleted without anybody possibly deleting it. For me it is stuff I've recorded off MPEG4 locals. I've since swithced all my local "season passes" to my MPEG2 network channels. So far nothing deleted.

· Icon
828 Posts
ssn said:
It's not just sports channels. I've had 3 shows in 2 weeks that show up in history as deleted without anybody possibly deleting it. For me it is stuff I've recorded off MPEG4 locals. I've since swithced all my local "season passes" to my MPEG2 network channels. So far nothing deleted.
Don't rely on your MPEG2 channels to be any more reliable than MPEG4.
The only programs I lost were off of SD broadcasts from the ABC local off the satellite. Sunday's NASCAR race and pre-race show both disappeared as "partial recording-deleted" and both shows were padded.
Who knows--it may have something to do with padded programs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.