DBSTalk Forum banner

New Roof New Self Install

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Grentz 
#1 ·
It's been time for a new roof for the last few years. I finally had it scraped off to bare wood, papered, and applied 30yr comp shingles. The original install by DTV was on the side of the roof, lag bolted strait through the shingles. There was not a chance that I would allowed this to be done on my new roof. After searching around DBSTalks I ended up buying a Commdeck. http://www.rstcenterprises.com/our_products/commdeck.phtml I could not be happier. Installation was strait forward. The Commdeck installed just like any other vent or pipe flashing. I added the extra support clips for the mono poles.

The cables are run through a 1inch hole drilled in the 1x6
I was able to line up one side of the Commdeck flashing to a joist. The other side got bolted into the 1x6.

I have a old house that was never wired for TV. The original install had lines running over the roof and drilled through exterior walls.

With the new Commdeck the 4 lines from the LNB go into the attic where I mounted a SWM-8 along with my OTA antenna. I was then able to fish all new lines and install low voltage boxes and wall plates. (at the same time I ran cat 5e)

LNB to SWM is 18 feet
SWM-1 run is 80 feet to PI located in the theater rack I installed last year.
From PI to SWS 2 splitter, Power Passing leg is fed to perfect vision diplexer. The OTA is then split, one to HR21 the other to my SR8500 for FM radio.

Final thoughts new install up and running great. I have my OTA antenna diplexted into the SWM-8 with no problems.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
bobnielsen said:
I will probably be replacing my roof soon and the Commdeck mount looks like the way to go. I don't have an attic, so the cables will still need to be strung across the roof.
To Paraphrase the weird dude with the stringy hair in "The Search for Spock" Strung across the roof allowed is not.

#10 ·
Rolando42 said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Nice looking install, as long as the dish doesn't get hit by lightning!
Honestly if a dish on your house gets hit with lightning, a grounding block is not gonna save you. Lightning is such high voltage that it can jump huge amounts over/through things and will pretty much destroy most electronics in your house, and some in your neighbors houses as well!

If you have seen how lightning rods are grounded you know what I mean...the grounding cable is enormous in comparison to what is used with the little grounding block.

Grounding is still important IMO to eliminate floating ground and static buildup though.

#12 ·
Grentz said:
Honestly if a dish on your house gets hit with lightning, a grounding block is not gonna save you. Lightning is such high voltage that it can jump huge amounts over/through things and will pretty much destroy most electronics in your house, and some in your neighbors houses as well!

If you have seen how lightning rods are grounded you know what I mean...the grounding cable is enormous in comparison to what is used with the little grounding block.

Grounding is still important IMO to eliminate floating ground and static buildup though.
Actually, I've seen a dish that was properly grounded get hit by lightning. Melted the drip loop together, blew the cable out of the connectors, exploded the lnb, made the static ground coming from the dish turn into little gobs of copper and steel throughout the yard, shot fire out of the switch.... and not a single receiver or tv was hurt. Weirdest damn thing.

#13 ·
Johnnie5000 said:
Actually, I've seen a dish that was properly grounded get hit by lightning. Melted the drip loop together, blew the cable out of the connectors, exploded the lnb, made the static ground coming from the dish turn into little gobs of copper and steel throughout the yard, shot fire out of the switch.... and not a single receiver or tv was hurt. Weirdest damn thing.
I saw lightning hit a juniper tree, set the thing on fire. terrify a rattle snake that was curled up under the tree. Poor thing bit itself, killed itself with it's own venom. tree burned to a cinder, but no other trees were damaged, nor was the grass on the ground touched.

#14 ·
Grydlok said:
Question?
If you fished all new lines in the wall, why not fish 2 lines instead of diplexing?
Less insertion loss.
I have dual rg6 to all locations but one. So to get OTA to that one location i have to diplex the line. So instead of spiting my OTA signals six times to feed all locations and then feed the SWM-8 I decided to diplex at all of my locations. All of my OTA signals are above 95 for the major networks and it works great.

#15 ·
I guess its like how at my relatives house that went through a category 4 hurricane the insulation was blown so hard into the dry wall that it actually pierced it like a knife and doors on cabinets were blown off...yet wine glasses sat untouched in the cabinet!

Nature can do weird things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.