DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALL, The DTV guys came out this morning to see if they could get satellites 119 and 110 somwhere on my roof. It’s hopeless.

I did get some good info, though. They had a DTV staff meeting last week where it was announced that due to a new satellite launch in late November, all the channels will be consolidated into one LNB. This will allow more precise alignment, capture of all satellites from one aim spot, and better picture quality. It will require a new, smaller dish and only one LNB.

Has anybody heard ANYTHING on this??

Dave in Houston

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yah... no... that is not happening.
At least not the way they explained it to you.

There are 7 oribital slots that DirecTV uses. 5 are most commonly used, with the other two being for international and local programming.

Anyway, they are NOT moving to a single SAT position.

What they are doing though, is going to be releasing a new DISH for your home. That will have a single lnb assembly. That assembly is able to receive the signal from 5 orbital slots. (as compared to today's AT9 that has two LNB assemblies)

It will allow for quicker allignment, more precise allingment... but it will not change Picture Quality.... As these are digital pictures... You either get them or you don't.. (however, PQ can also be related to less drop outs and stuff like that).

The Disk is the Slimline.... and it is a little bit smaller then the AT9, but not drastically smaller.

You simply can't get too small, if you are trying to see 5 SAT slots that range from 99 to 119

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, makes sense. Will it be easier to pull in 110 and 119, do you think? I have no problem with 103, et al. As it is, I get all of the local HD, but not the 70's series HD channels.

Dave in Houston

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.