DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the wash DC area, using 61.5, 110 and 119 two dish solution. i was doing some reading and noticed some talking about new sats at 72.x and 77?? I got the idea this allowed for a single dish solution??

being an HD customer with a 622 and about to add a 722, I was interested as the thread was discussing the new all mpeg4 . Am I in any need of getting a different dish setup to get all the mpeg4?? would there be any benefits other than that based on where I live for getting the new locations?? potentially things like less rain issues etc???

thanks

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
garys said:
All that is, is the sd channels are in mpeg4 not mpeg2 allowing the sats to deliver more sd channels.
And at the moment (and for the forseeable future) existing subscribers will get the same channel line up as MPEG4 subscribers to the same package. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

· AllStar
71 Posts
Well I'm one of those that had to yesterday. I'm not able to get 129 at all so at first the two Dish setup was first choice. However the installer and supervisor came out and installed a new Dish 1000.4 and set it up to 61.5 and 70.7 (?). From what I was told there is a third bird up in the same area but not active yet. I've got everything we had before the upgrade in SD off 110 & 119.

Kenny J
Nashville TN

· Hall Of Fame
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, so no "need" to change my setup. So here's what is likely a tougher question. Any likelihood that a 1k.4 dish would provide a more stable reception, with less rain issues???

for some history, my initial dish install was a 500 dish (don't recall what it was called exactly) for 110/119, with a 501/301 in about 1999/2000 timeframe. I was nervous, but found the signal to be super. i recall some really nasty storms, including a really bad Nor'easter that blew thru in like 2001 and i think I lost signal for 10 minutes over the few days it was going thru.

Around 2004 (whenever that dern 921 came out) I upgraded to HD, added a 61.5 single dish. Immediately and ever since, I have gotten noticeably worse rain fade issues. It's to the point now, that I've considering switching to FIOS or other options to eliminate the rain issues. In the past year, I've had multiple recordings get jacked up due to rain caused signal loss. And these aren't nasty, trees bending blow hard storms, these are little drizzlers (granted, in my area, all rain storms cover the entire sky, so it's hard to tell what's going on up top) with light rain and a little wind. Most aren't even T-storms.

I've had Dish peeps out a couple times, and my dish's always seem to be aimed correctly. My signal strengths are usually well over 100 on a clear day, but I do recall the last time I had Dish out, they asked me to check when it was a rainy day, and I had gone from a 120'ish signal to a sub 80 on a day with a light rain. I've always felt something had to have changed when I was upgraded to HD. I don't have paperwork to know, but I'd swear the tech did replace my LNB unit at that time, which has made me wonder if the newer LNB's are not as good as the old ones, or something else changed that makes them more susceptible to rain? or perhaps i've had bad luck with the techs that came out to 'align' and verify my dishes??

I've read too many recent posts with people stating how well their units are performing in the rain, so I'm really curious as to what might be messing me up. I even thought some tress might have gotten in the way, so I had them topped a year or so ago to remove branches near the path of the dish, made no difference that I can tell. Then again, it's not like I loose signal on windy days, only rainy ones (or snowy ones).

Any thoughts??

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.