DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new software download last night and it deleted my todo list, and 750 GB of programming.

Thanks Directv!

Edit:

Receiver wasn't recognizing my external hard drive. had to remove the power from both units to get it back.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
neckhardt said:
Got the new software download last night and it deleted my todo list, and 750 GB of programming.

Thanks Directv!

Edit:

Receiver wasn't recognizing my external hard drive. had to remove the power from both units to get it back.
Glad it's all back, that had to be a pretty bad feeling to wake up to.

·
AllStar
97 Posts
System likely restarted with the s/w update. External drives are often not recognized when this happens. Doing the powerup like you did later corrects the issue as you found.

It is nerve-wracking when it first happens. Glad it was a simple fix.

Kevin

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
There are indeed uncomfortable moments. Sunday morning I got the dreaded blue screen indicating a problem with the storage system, saying if a reboot did not fix it to call customer support and tell them it was code 14-442. A reboot did not fix the problem.

But then, this was not my first rodeo. I had seen this on other DVRs before. I unplugged the power and went back to sleep. When I woke up, plugging the power back in woke up the DVR as well. Good as new.

I have also seen the dreaded "overheating" BSOD. Since the cover wasn't even warm, I did the same thing; unplugged it for a few hours and plugged it back in. Months later, still no problems.

But it is unnerving. And for the sake of argument, if an up rev does coincide with a wiped HDD, that may be more coincidental that causal. IOW, if that happens, you probably had creeping significant latent HDD issues already, and the up rev just pushed it over the edge.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
When did they tell you this? Its in the stream for quite a few models right now. Only thing would be is if they're having a problem with a particular model that isn't in the stream but there are several boxes that aren't in the stream right now.

·
2 Posts
They told me this on the 20th. Been having issues with my receiver since the HD guide build 47b, I did finally get the 59e upgrade but no Pandora and you tube went missing, other problems have come and gone even after a replacement receiver swap. Not sure if dtv knows what to do, might be out of their league, do not seem too knowledgeable.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"harryrambo" said:
They told me this on the 20th. Been having issues with my receiver since the HD guide build 47b, I did finally get the 59e upgrade but no Pandora and you tube went missing, other problems have come and gone even after a replacement receiver swap. Not sure if dtv knows what to do, might be out of their league, do not seem too knowledgeable.
Case management is supposed to have some of the most knowledgable CSRs, with certifications etc.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
neckhardt said:

Thanks Directv!

Edit:

Get used to it, as it is very likely to happen again. I see it about every third or fourth time my HR20-700 reboots. I'm using a 2 TB drive with Thermaltake dock. Works great, but as with any external drive on the HR20-700l, as well as most other sat boxes, you will need that "start over" procedure at various times. Glad you found it sooner, rather than later.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
harryrambo said:
Is it a DVR or receiver? Receivers won't get Pandora.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
hasan said:
Get used to it, as it is very likely to happen again. I see it about every third or fourth time my HR20-700 reboots. I'm using a 2 TB drive with Thermaltake dock. Works great, but as with any external drive on the HR20-700l, as well as most other sat boxes, you will need that "start over" procedure at various times. Glad you found it sooner, rather than later.
I've never had that problem using a TT. I have had it many times using an MX-1, but I think that was the HRs fault (HR20-700). I put the MX-1 on another 20-700 and it always came up properly using either the Menu, Restart or pulling the plugs.

I'm really surprised. Thought the damn TTs were reboot proof....:lol:

Rich

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Rich said:
I've never had that problem using a TT. I have had it many times using an MX-1, but I think that was the HRs fault (HR20-700). I put the MX-1 on another 20-700 and it always came up properly using either the Menu, Restart or pulling the plugs.

I'm really surprised. Thought the damn TTs were reboot proof....:lol:

Rich
They are....it's the recognition software in my HR20-700 that is ...well...flaky:)

I've very, very happy with the Thermaltake.

BTW...snowing like crazy here in central Iowa this late afternoon.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
hasan said:
They are....it's the recognition software in my HR20-700 that is ...well...flaky:)

Snow, what's snow? Haven't had the snow-blower out but once and didn't really need to do that. Be Spring soon and we've had nary anything like a decent snowfall the whole winter.

I had a couple 20-700s that were prone to not recognizing the MX-1s and I thought it must be the 20-700s. Put TTs on them and they always are recognized by the 20-700s. Stopped using MX-1s. Still think it's a good enclosure, just not worth the hassle.

Rich

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
hasan said:
...it's the recognition software in my HR20-700 that is ...well...flaky:)

Got to 80 where I am today. :p

I think you may be jumping to a conclusion about the HR20-700; they are not known to ever have had this problem and nor are the other HRs; it is quite rare for anyone to see this sort of behavior; I think I have seen it posted a grand total of twice since 2007 (well, now 3 times). My two '-700's have been rock solid with x drives. I would suspect the HDD itself before suspecting the HR or the enclosure.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Case management is supposed to have some of the most knowledgable CSRs, with certifications etc.
I'm not sure how they get their training to be certified, but if they want competent CSRs, they should make it mandatory for them to monitor these forums at least 4 hrs a day for a month. A quiz at the of the months training would be given and you would need a passing score to become certified.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
azarby said:
I'm not sure how they get their training to be certified, but if they want competent CSRs, they should make it mandatory for them to monitor these forums at least 4 hrs a day for a month. A quiz at the of the months training would be given and you would need a passing score to become certified.:lol::lol::lol:
You can get certified within a company or corporation. I was certified as an asbestos and lead paint "competent person" and a public speaker, test constructor, estimator, trainer...the list goes on, but I went to every seminar (usually at least a week long) I could, anything to get out of that place for awhile.

After I quit, taking a voluntary retirement package, I taught in a local college and the public speaking certification and especially the test constructor certification were key in getting that very lucrative job.

The CMG agents are definitely a different breed, for the most part, of CSRs. They've solved every problem I've presented them with. I've found a couple who were kinda nasty and a couple who didn't know as much as the normal agents, but for the most part, they've been very helpful.

But, in any event, they're probably certified by D*. Kinda normal in a lot of big companies.

Rich

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.