DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some pretty interesting lessons in Perl programming today, I finally managed to install a spell checker. It should be available in all posting modes including private messaging and quick replies. Since we are still in a beta testing mode, please let me know if you have any problems. Thanks!

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Wow and its fast loading too, great job Chris!!!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
WOW! :eek:

Now I'll no longer have to copy/paste my compositions into the other guy's spel cheker. :lol:

Thanks.

Nickster :smoking:

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
It took Chris a good day to get the Spell Checker working as it was not written for VBBS or PHP.

This spell check works great! And the best part is it does not cost us $150 for every 100,000 searches (or every 6 months whichever comes first)

It's just another great feature here on DBStalk.COM

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
And the best part is it does not cost us $150 for every 100,000 searches (or every 6 months whichever comes first)
That's one of the great things about this spell check. It all runs completely from our own server. No extra costs required.

So far it seems to be working well. Thanks everyone for your support.

·
Godfather
334 Posts
It doesn't know:

DirecTV
Echostar
LNB
Multiswitch
TiVo

·
Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
I'm having trouble with words like:

doesn't
aren't

it sees them as doesn and aren.... Try it for yourself..... :confused:

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Yeah James I have seen that as well, The spell check works off a unix backdoor, I don't know if we can edit the word file or not.

The thing to remember is you know its spelled correctly, so make no corrections to that word. :)

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went into the Perl code and found the "ignore words" list. I've already input a few words like DirecTv and such. Please list any words that you find that should be on the ignore list here. Thanks!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
"Please list any words that you find that should be on the ignore list here."

"Rage" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nickster :smoking:

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, here are the words that the spell check should ignore as being misspelled:

http, ftp, nntp, smtp, nfs, html, xml, mailto, bsd, linux, gnu, gpl, openwebmail, HTF, AVS, DVD, DIVX, VHS, LD, SVS, directv, echostar, lnb, multiswitch, tivo, dishplayer, doesn, didn, aren, wouldn, couldn, don, hadn, wasn, isn, shouldn, ain, haven, url, osama, DBS, DBSTalk, DBSForums

Any others you can think of?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Heres a few more Chris...

- TiVo, DirecTiVo, EKB, SVHS, toslink, firewire, Primestar

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.