DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on here since I found this forum. Great place to learn about satellite TV. My apologies if this should be moved to another area.

Just had DirecTV installed last week and want to know what should be the best way to set up a home theater.

I also purchased a a new receiver and DVD player to go along with the TV I should get later on today. Just got a Samsung DLP 61A750 and Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver.

I would like to know what would be the best way to get the best sound and picture. Should I hook up the sat box to the receiver through the HDMI connections and then back to the TV through HDMI?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
325 Posts
With that receiver you should run everything through the receiver connecting with HDMI. That should handle your audio and video. You will then be able to switch everything through the receiver. I did this with a new Onkyo receiver I got a couple of months ago. It simplified all the connections and made switching from one component to another much easier.

By the way, Welcome. Your right, this place is an excellent source for information. :)
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
Make sure you have the digital optical cable to connect the sat receiver to the Pioneer so you can play with that baby when it arrives.

Good receiver, got one myself.
 

· Dry as a bone
Joined
·
12,321 Posts
2dogz said:
Make sure you have the digital optical cable to connect the sat receiver to the Pioneer so you can play with that baby when it arrives.

Good receiver, got one myself.
Since he'll be using HDMI, the optical cable is not necessary.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
spartanstew said:
Since he'll be using HDMI, the optical cable is not necessary.
Yeah, guess you're right. Brain thinking about older receiver. So many cables back there, I confuse myself sometimes.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the info.

That is what I figured with the HDMI connection. Just run the sat box to the receiver anad then to the TV. But if I do that will I get sound on the TV without turning on the receiver all the time?

I was reading the Pioneer manual and let me say - holy ****. I didn't realize all the settings for everything. By the time I get everything figured out , the receiver might be obsolete...lol
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
darkon said:
Thanks everyone for the info.

That is what I figured with the HDMI connection. Just run the sat box to the receiver anad then to the TV. But if I do that will I get sound on the TV without turning on the receiver all the time?

I was reading the Pioneer manual and let me say - holy ****. I didn't realize all the settings for everything. By the time I get everything figured out , the receiver might be obsolete...lol
Once you hear the sound thru the pioneer you'll never use your tv speakers again :D
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
I don't think the receiver passes audio through to the TV. Most TVs have an option to turn audio off, which I have set on mine. So it doesn't matter if it does pass it.

Manual is a tough read. High on pictures, low on explainations. At least it seems to have been edited by a native English speaker. But some terms don't translate well from the Japanese. Just concentrate on getting the basic 5.1 set up and working first. Play with all the features/options later for entertainment value.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top