DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my TiVo Series 3 has been acting up and after a lot of research, I felt like I did not want to toy around with it. We'd been looking at DirecTV for awhile, but did not make the jump due to missing AMC HD, and no way to watch local ball games (due to comcast nonsense) Now we can stream the games (for a small fee) and AMC is there, so I started looking, and liked what i saw in the new HR34, so I bit the bullet.

Last summer, I talked with an installer who was installing next door, and I think we are good to go, but I wanted to verify here about DECA, etc.

1) We have comcast cable internet, and the wiring in the house is fairly new (house is 7 years old).

2) I would like to keep the existing house wiring, without running all new wiring

3) I am using a NIM100 MOCA to carry internet to the downstairs living room. I would like this same functionality.

So as I understood it from the installer, he said they could just run a new coax into the office where my cable modem is. This would carry the sat signal from the dish. Then they would install a SWiM somewhere, to utilize the exsiting in-house cabling for whole room.

We're not going whole room atm, we only have one tv and I'd rather wait and see if RVU actually happens. So:

Does this sound possible? Can they keep the cable internet coming into the house from comcast, and also use that wiring to run the DECA for the whole room should we want it?

Can I get a second DECA box of some sort to supply ethernet to the living room? If so, what box would I need?

They are giving me some cinema connection install package, but I am not sure what comes with that.

Thanks for any input! They don't come for 10 days, but I would like to be educated before they arrive.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
You can not use active cable internet cable for DirecTv. Your best bet is to have them install the HR34, and connect it to the internet via ethernet to your router. If you have ethernet where the HR34 is going, you can use a 4 port switch to connect both the HR34 and whatever else was connected at that location to go back to your router.

Additional receivers, when added, would then simply be a matter of inserting a splitter in the coax between the dish and the HR34, and running additional coax (or using UNUSED Cable coax runs) to the additional boxes. Any additional boxes added, would automatically be internet connected through the bridge in the HR34, so no additional worries would be incurred.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah so the problem is that our cable modem and routers (we have two wifi networks) are upstairs, and the HR34 will be downstairs in the living room.

Running ethernet between the floors is not an easy solution, as I'd rather not go out through the walls and up the outside if I can avoid it.

Right now I have no ethernet downstairs, I am using a pair of NIM100s to send the network over RF Coax downstairs, and then I have a switch plugged into the NIM for the TiVo, PLaystation, xbox, Apple TV, etc.

So maybe the best approach is to run both a coax for the the DVR and one for the internet upstairs, and then disconnect comcast from the in-house wiring and use the in-house wiring for back-feeding everything else, and using DECA to send the network downstairs?

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
The HR34 does not need to be where the internet is, just figured you might have internet where it is going. If they run the Dish coax to the same location as your current router is located and put the splitter there, then use either an existing coax, or run a new coax from there to where you want the HR34, you can use a DECA bridge between the splitter and the router.

Yea, if you have all that downstairs running off coax now, just use DECA instead of comcast on the same coax.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input!

But I am confused, our in-house wiring is all connected (I think) and thus has the cable internet on it. I could be wrong, maybe it only runs to one room, but I don't think so.

So you are saying they can run a new cable to that room, and then put deca back over the cable the internet is on to send the sat signal down to the DVR in the living room?

I think it will be solvable, I am sure I am not the first one in this position. I just want to figure out how I can move my internet connection over the RF down to the living room so my other devices can access it. Maybe I will get that for free seeing as I already have a switch downstairs and they'll be putting a DECA box downn there? Or does the HR34 have DECA support built in?

Thanks for walking me through this. Maybe I should draw a diagram :)

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
I'm not sure how Deca or Moca speeds compare to Cat6 ethernet speeds, but runnning an ethernet cable should be as easy as running a second coax. the only reason I have mine attached to a DECA is for Whole Home Dvr. then I have to have a modem on the DECA system to connection to a switch connected into my home network so my DVR's have internet connectivity. It is a bit convoluted, but faster than when my receivers did Whole Home via ethernet and the Deca doesn't use up bandwidth on the home network for streaming shows.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob,

Thanks for the help. The problem is I can run coax from the outside ito the upstairs fairly ok, but I really don't want to run cat6 outside the house. I've seen a number of issues with weatherization of the cable, and I guess a conduit could be run, we have some rules here (HOA). Coax run (and later painted) is ok, but external conduits are not.

I'd LOVE to have cat6 downstairs. I looked into it, but it would be an in-wall job running over $1000 to do properly (4 cat 6's so later I could extend HDMI if I wanted all of this hardware upstairs some day)

So I am not trying to be cheap, but be realistic. It would be nice if they had built the house with cat6 everywhere, seems like a crime to not do so these days.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Well, usually the cable company runs the cable into the house, and splits the internet off the first splitter. If yours does the same, you can just disconnect the splitter, and hook the splitter input cable directly to the cablemodem. Then you can run the dish coax to that location, and use DECA to bridge the internet (and any other devices on the DECA network) from that location. If you have multiple internet devices requiring ethernet at locations without ethernet, you could run a switch off the HR34, add a deca bridge between the coax and a switch, or just about any configuration you want. I doubt you would saturate the DECA network coax enough to even interfere with Whole Home, once you add other receivers or RVU. Cant guarantee it tho, since RVU isnt really being used yet. I dont know how much bandwidth it requires for 3 simultaneous RVU clients.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! ok that is likely what they did, as it makes sense that they would not send the internet to every jack in the house. I am sure the installer can figure this out.

So that should mean that any interruption in the internet would be minimal. That will please my wife, as she works at home :)

So it sounds like I will need some DECA box for downstairs to break out ethernet. Where do I find those, or can I get one from DirecTV?

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Are you going to be "breaking out" at the location of the HR34? If so, it has an ethernet jack on it you can use. If not, DECA boxes can be ordered from DirecTv, Solidsignal.com, possibly value electronics, ebay, etc. There are several different forms, from straight DECA boxes, to Wireless internet connection kits, etc. If you do get a DECA box, remember you will need a power supply for it also. They are designed to be run off the receivers power, but have an external power supply available for them as well. Newer ones have the power supply: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-DECA-Broadband-with-power-supply-(DECABB1R0)

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet, thanks.

Yes, I'll need ethernet where the HR34 is. So you are saying that the HR34 will get the network over RF via DECA, and then I can use the ethernet on the HR34 to connect to a switch? So all network traffic will go through the HR34?

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
sriggins said:
Sweet, thanks.

Yes, I'll need ethernet where the HR34 is. So you are saying that the HR34 will get the network over RF via DECA, and then I can use the ethernet on the HR34 to connect to a switch? So all network traffic will go through the HR34?
Yes, in theory. I have not tried it backwards like that yet tho. I also do not know what happens when the unit is put in standby (does the port shut down?).

The "neater" approach would be a two way splitter, one to the HR34, and one to the DECA box I linked to. I am sure using the HR34 as a backwards bridge is probably not a supported configuration by DirecTv. Its actually designed to be used to connect the DECA network to the router.

If you want me to try it though, I would be happy to after football is over tonight.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, that is fine, you have been more than enough help. I like the idea of the splitter to my own DECA box.

I imagine that the cinema install package I am getting will not have two of these DECA boxes, likely just one. Maybe I should go ahead an order a second? I could always use it in another room of the house if I ever wanted ethernet there.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Yea, the installer will hook one up there by your cablemodem, where the cable tv splitter is now. I couldnt tell you if they would give you two for free or not. If it were me, and you wanted minimum downtime for the internet, I would have it handy, along with a two way green label splitter just in case.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cool. We do not have a splitter upstairs, it is just an outlet from the wall to the cable modem. There are no tvs anywhere in the house other than the living room, but that might change! :)

I'll pick one up, and a splitter, thanks!

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Has to be a splitter somewhere, to get cable to the wall outlet and the TV. Might be outside. But you do have a coax running from where the cablemodem is to the room downstairs already, right?

Im thinking now that the splitter is outside, with two separate coax runs, one to the wall outlet for the cablemodem, and one for the LR TV downstairs. If that is the case, then DirecTv is going to have to run another coax parallel to the cable internet coax for the DECA, and install their splitter outside where the comcast one is, so they can re-use the coax already going to the LR TV. Still do-able?

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, well,I don't know how it is wired. We have one jack in each room, that is all I know :) Where the splitters are, under the house, or in a box outside, I am not sure.

But as for how the wires run within the walls, I do not know.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
I added to previous post. DirecTv installer should be able to figure out where the splitter is, and do what you want to do. If he does it right, you should have DirecTv available on all those outlets, unless Comcast did something stupid like using multiple splitters inside walls or the attic.

·
AllStar
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe your assessment is correct and what the installer told me last summer. I misunderstood and thought that the cable he'd run upstairs was from the dish to the DECA, but clearly it is to feed the internet back to the splitter box on the house, as you suggest.

Then later, if we'll want TV in that office upstairs, we'd need a second cable up to that room, correct? Or maybe they can split off the cable they installed for the DECA?

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Yes, the can add a 2 way splitter where the deca connects to the internet for a TV. Anywhere on the DirecTv coax can be split for a tv. The only "rules" are the DECA network can only be bridged to the internet at ONE location, and, you do not have more than 8 tuners. Only the original cable going to your cablemodem cannot be used for anything except the cablemodem. All other coax runs can be used for TV or to carry DECA internet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.