DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is my first post to this forum, although I've read extensively since I found it. It is tremendously useful. Thanks to all of you experts that take your time to help all of us.

I have been a D* customer for 7 years. Very happy. Equipment is SD Tivo and service is Total Choice, HBO, Showtime, etc. I live in Indiana

We just bought a new 60" Sony A2000 SXRD tv and are anxious for HD from D*. I called today and ordered a HR20 and HD service. By the way, I got the DVR for $150, free Dish, free install, some free HD service. From this forum, I know there were better deals to be had, but I thought that was fair, and didn't want to work that hard to do any better. The install is not yet scheduled.

My questions:
1. Due to trees (too big to cut down!), I will be putting the new dish in a location different from the present 3lnb dish. (I'm planning on keeping the current dish in place -- back-up, trouble shooting, etc.) Again, because of trees, I will have to mount the dish in the yard - about 35 ft from the house. At that point, it is looking over a lake, so lots of clear sky. I plan to have the mounting pole installed and conduit run before the installer comes. My current dish is mounted on a 4X4 post, but I'm concerned that the new dish should have something more substantial. What should I put into the ground to mount the dish on? If other than a post, do I get that from the installation company or???
2. I read that many of you recommend putting the DVR on a UPS. Do any of you have a cost effective recommendation of a specific unit?
3. On my phone call with D*, they said the installer would move my current Tivo to another TV for me. I said, "that wasn't necessary, I'd just leave it where it was." She said that two sat boxes could not be hooked to the same TV. Is that correct? I can understand that I would have to use different inputs. It's no big deal either way -- it just made me curious.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
:welcome_s

1. You can use the 4X4 post, but ideally you want to use a 2" outside diameter pole/post w/ a 80lB bag of concrete. You should be able to get the pole from Home Depot or Lowes. That would be the best thing to do. Put the pole 2 feet in the ground, IMHO. The installation company may or may not have the materials for this. I've heard where some just keep that stuff on there truck. The best thing to do is ask D* who the local installer will be and call that office and request it before hand. If your at all mechacnically inclined you can probably do it yourself w/ a trusty post hole digger.

2. Can't help w/ this one.

3. You most certainly can connect two DVR's to your TV.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
What he said. A 2" diameter pole would work great. I am not fully versed in the "how deep do you put the pole" thing. I've heard 1/3 under, 2/3 above ground, but am not sure what application that applied to.

If you do the post yourself, I believe it is absolutely critical that it be plumb or the dish pointing may not work right.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Well...How deep came from the fact that's what mine is. IIRC the hole is about 20" deep. Which accomadates a a 80lb. bag of concrete nicely. It is solid, it's not going anywhere. YMMV.

LOL.... the whole 1/3 in ground and 2/3 above ground of course is all relative the the length of the pole.
Sorry JLUC, I'm just busting on you a little bit.:grin:

But the pole being plumb is critical. Thank you for pointing that out.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Bust away! :)

I was speaking of something of which I had no knowledge, basically trying to make the point about it being plumb. I love a good smack up-side the head once in a while - it keeps my head on striaght! :D

Now that I think about it for a minute, I think that may have had to do with flag poles. Again - no knowledge, look like an idiot!

·
Icon
914 Posts
The reason everyone is saying use a metal pole is because wood will bend and twist over time. It's not as stable as metal over time. If you use a 4x4, you may notice your reception go down or even loose reception over time if the 4x4 warps (and most stand alone 4x4's tend to warp.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
JLucPicard said:
Bust away! :)

I was speaking of something of which I had no knowledge, basically trying to make the point about it being plumb. I love a good smack up-side the head once in a while - it keeps my head on striaght! :D

Now that I think about it for a minute, I think that may have had to do with flag poles. Again - no knowledge, look like an idiot!
lol...Well JLUC, Your logic applies, I basically did the same, I never stated how long the pole was.

So to clarify, I had a pole 6' pole and I put it in about 20". So you logic certainly applies.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
You also mentioned conduit, which is a great idea as you can pull replacement wire through it when needed. Make sure it is big enough to accomodate FOUR runs of RG6.

Carl

·
Icon
914 Posts
carl6 said:
You also mentioned conduit, which is a great idea as you can pull replacement wire through it when needed. Make sure it is big enough to accomodate FOUR runs of RG6.

Carl
Very, Very True. I ran 2" conduit to my car port from my house and burried it. (My dishes are on the other side of the car port.) Now I've already got 6 CAT5 Lines and 12 RG6 cables in that tube, but half of that I've Ran AFTER it was put into the ground!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.