DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered TurboHD this morning. Here's my setup:

2 HDTVs, 1 DVR, 1 not DVR. TurboHD Silver.

On the confirmation email that Dish sent me, all I see on it is 'Reciever, 211/411'. I don't see anything about the DVR. Should I be worried? Also, Is there any way to find out what DVR I'll get?

Also, their site says that I'll need a land line to avoid being charged a fee. I called tech support on that, and they say that since I have single recievers, I need neither phone nor ethernet to them. That doesn't seem to jive with what I've read elsewhere. I don't have a land line, so phone is out of the question, though I can get ethernet to both (I'd have to run a drop to one of the recievers).

Should I run the ethernet ahead of time just to be safe, call dish, or just wait and see how things turn out Thursday when they come to do the install? I'd like to avoid the fees if at all possible, but I'll pay $5/mo way sooner than I'll pay for a land line.

I also want to mention that I can physically only get 1 run of coax to each of the TVs, so in order to use my OTA antenna, I'll need diplexers. Should I expect the Dish installer to have them, or should I get them on my own?
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
45 Posts
paulthepwner said:
I just ordered TurboHD this morning. Here's my setup:

2 HDTVs, 1 DVR, 1 not DVR. TurboHD Silver.

On the confirmation email that Dish sent me, all I see on it is 'Reciever, 211/411'. I don't see anything about the DVR. Should I be worried? Also, Is there any way to find out what DVR I'll get?

Also, their site says that I'll need a land line to avoid being charged a fee. I called tech support on that, and they say that since I have single recievers, I need neither phone nor ethernet to them. That doesn't seem to jive with what I've read elsewhere. I don't have a land line, so phone is out of the question, though I can get ethernet to both (I'd have to run a drop to one of the recievers).

Should I run the ethernet ahead of time just to be safe, call dish, or just wait and see how things turn out Thursday when they come to do the install? I'd like to avoid the fees if at all possible, but I'll pay $5/mo way sooner than I'll pay for a land line.

I also want to mention that I can physically only get 1 run of coax to each of the TVs, so in order to use my OTA antenna, I'll need diplexers. Should I expect the Dish installer to have them, or should I get them on my own?
Wow...that sound rather similar to what I had installed (except I also ordered AT200 because not ALL the channels I wanted were on silver yet). Anyway, the 211 has an ethernet jack, and so does the 722 (which is what I would request for the HDTV DVR--gets your more storage and dual tuners to use). So, you just need to hook them up to the ethernet and you should be good (at least that's what I've been told and am counting on as both of mine are only connected by ethernet). I did have the fee show up on my first bill, but they've taken it off after I showed them that my boxes were connecting (I think it was a mistake due to the bill coming out the day after my boxes were installed).

As far as the diplexers, my installer had those and used them, as I also had an OTA antenna. No extra charge here at least...
 

· New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.

So I guess what I should do is call them and ask in my best 'Pretty Pretty Please' voice (maybe I should get my girlfriend to do it, she might be better at it) to give me a 722, and run the ethernet ahead of time just in case. Thanks for the info.

I was considering getting AT200 as well, but I've been without cable since I moved 6 months ago, and I get a fairly large selection of OTA HD, and I've been getting by fine. The only channels I really missed were ESPN and NFL (for monday and thursday football games), so now that I'll have them, I'm content to wait and see what they add.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
45 Posts
paulthepwner said:
Cool.

So I guess what I should do is call them and ask in my best 'Pretty Pretty Please' voice (maybe I should get my girlfriend to do it, she might be better at it) to give me a 722, and run the ethernet ahead of time just in case. Thanks for the info.

I was considering getting AT200 as well, but I've been without cable since I moved 6 months ago, and I get a fairly large selection of OTA HD, and I've been getting by fine. The only channels I really missed were ESPN and NFL (for monday and thursday football games), so now that I'll have them, I'm content to wait and see what they add.
Yeah...if FX and comedy central had been in HD, that would have done it for me. As of right now, though, they're only available in SD, thus I went with AT200+silver ($10 on top of AT200).

Very happy with the whole experience so far, other than the small billing issue on the $5 charge. I think that will resolve itself soon, though, now that they are connecting at will through the ethernet.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
NOTE: the 722 is a dual-output receiver, intended to run 1 HD and 1 SDTV. Dish charges you the extra $5/month (as if it were two receivers) unless you have it plugged into the phone or Internet. The 722 can be used in "Single Mode" to feed a single TV.

IMO, I would recommend paying the up-front lease fee and get a second DVR. The 612 is a dual-tuner, single-output HD-DVR. It's like a 722 in Single Mode, but without PiP and with a smaller hard drive, but the upgrade fee is less than going to a second 722.

Since you can only upgrade once per year (without having to buy your new receivers out-right at full retail price), it's much cheaper to get what you want up-front.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIP said:
NOTE: the 722 is a dual-output receiver, intended to run 1 HD and 1 SDTV. Dish charges you the extra $5/month (as if it were two receivers) unless you have it plugged into the phone or Internet. The 722 can be used in "Single Mode" to feed a single TV.

IMO, I would recommend paying the up-front lease fee and get a second DVR. The 612 is a dual-tuner, single-output HD-DVR. It's like a 722 in Single Mode, but without PiP and with a smaller hard drive, but the upgrade fee is less than going to a second 722.

Since you can only upgrade once per year (without having to buy your new receivers out-right at full retail price), it's much cheaper to get what you want up-front.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info :)
 

· New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have one HDTV and one SDTV. I spoke to Customer service today and was told that if I ordered the Turbo HD Bronze package and a 722 receiver, I would need the AT package in order to have any programing on the SDTV. Is this correct? Thanks for the great info!
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I have one HDTV and one SDTV. I spoke to Customer service today and was told that if I ordered the Turbo HD Bronze package and a 722 receiver, I would need the AT package in order to have any programing on the SDTV. Is this correct? Thanks for the great info!
no, it is not correct, the sd tv on the 722 will get everything the hdtv does, the receiver will down-convert it to SD
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top