DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been getting lots of spam lately. It somehow tricks Thunderbird (and apparently the ISP's spam filtering) by substituting high ascii characters such as these:
Your Cȓedit Score may ĥave beeñ updated.
and also tricks the email program into giving a bogus return address.

I have been unable to figure out how to get rid of this crap.

Anyone else have any luck?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,828 Posts
I have seen this for years...

V|âgra

:D

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
Davenlr said:
Ive been getting lots of spam lately. It somehow tricks Thunderbird (and apparently the ISP's spam filtering) by substituting high ascii characters such as these:

and also tricks the email program into giving a bogus return address.

I have been unable to figure out how to get rid of this crap.

Anyone else have any luck?
I filter my Comcast mail by sending it through g-mail.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In this case, its actually forwarded mail from Yahoo to my comcast email address.

When I check the headers, the FROM: and TO: are all scrambled, and creating a filter using those fields is pretty much ineffective.

I have started just adding all the domains they are coming from as a filter, but some domains are pretty popular, so assuming the spammer lost their account, it makes filtering one hit/run incident hard.

What I dont understand, is why are they bothering? Surely no one is going to fall for that crap when its so obvious its spam.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Davenlr" said:
In this case, its actually forwarded mail from Yahoo to my comcast email address.

When I check the headers, the FROM: and TO: are all scrambled, and creating a filter using those fields is pretty much ineffective.

I have started just adding all the domains they are coming from as a filter, but some domains are pretty popular, so assuming the spammer lost their account, it makes filtering one hit/run incident hard.

What I dont understand, is why are they bothering? Surely no one is going to fall for that crap when its so obvious its spam.
I said the same thing about Nigerian princes etc. They need a ridiculously small percentage to fall for it to make a profit.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
I use Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Uniblue Registry Booster, McAfee Security Scan Plus and Windows Security Essentials as security software in addition to sticking with Gmail as my email client. The frequent automatic scans that occur can be a bit of a bother at times, but I've yet to have a problem. Gmail's spam filter is very good.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I just won the New Zealand lottery. All I have to do is call and give them my banking information so they can deposit the $1,000,000.00 that I won.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
dmspen said:
I just won the New Zealand lottery. All I have to do is call and give them my banking information so they can deposit the $1,000,000.00 that I won.
Congrats!
When you get the dough, you can purchase a share of the $58,000,000 some childless diplomat has left me-out of the blue, can you believe my luck!!- as soon as I can send the expediter $150,000 to pay some taxes in Usponnaland to free up the estate. So, you send me $75,000 and you'll get $29,000,000. Fair enough??

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,494 Posts
Davenlr said:
This is a long, long-standing method of obscuring spam.

There are no simple rules for identifying it. Some programs that do identify it are looking specifically for what language the message is in and whether the character set is appropriate to that language.

If you need a comprehensive spam filter, don't reinvent the wheel. Try SpamAssassin or one of the products from the antivirus companies. If that doesn't work or looks to complicated, consider a spam filtering service like Google's Postini.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
dmspen said:
Did you notice that these guys always include the zero cents after the decimal point?

Does that really make a difference?

MSN, Gmail, and Verizon all seem to be able to get virtually all my spam messages transferred to my Junk account.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
Davenlr said:
I have always thought the same about Rachel and her friends who constantly call. Do you really think that calling me or spamming me over and over is going to make me want to do business with you?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
:jumpingja:jumpingja
Laxguy said:
Congrats!
When you get the dough, you can purchase a share of the $58,000,000 some childless diplomat has left me-out of the blue, can you believe my luck!!- as soon as I can send the expediter $150,000 to pay some taxes in Usponnaland to free up the estate. So, you send me $75,000 and you'll get $29,000,000. Fair enough??
I am also a Nigerian winner several times over.

I guess I'm an internet millionaire! :jumpingja

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.