Directv 2 Go outputs to your Laptop
Hearts Program Rates Customers
3,200 Channels by the end of 2007
40 National HD ~ March 2007
150 National HD by 12/2007
Realtime Ratings - New What's Hot Screen
How the Customer Loyalty Program Works

Details:
An investor slideshow from earlier this year may provide answers to many of our questions. Here is where you can see the presentation:

(I was not allowed to post the link. Sorry. It is on DirecTV's website under Investor Relations, News, Events & Presentations, 2-2006)

Slide 7
Great graphic of the existing and new satellites

Slide 8
Total Channel Capacity (YE 2007)
Standard Definition ~1,550 (mostly Ku-Band)
High Definition ~1,650 (mostly Ka-Band)
Total Channels 3,200
Local Channels ~2,650
National Channels ~550

Slide 31
Picture of SlimLine dish

Slide 33
Available national HD Channels to increase from 10 to 40 in March of 2007
150 National HD Channels by year end 2007

Slide 37
How will they use the USB Connector?
In addition to satellite downloads, Internet download
Broadband VOD Download Service
see what the screen will look like

Slide 40
Return Channel Improvements
• Power-line technology will replace difficult phone connections
• Data port to connect via customers' broadband service*
*Enabled through satellite delivered software upgrades and
existing industry standard high speed data ports

Slide 45
Directv 2 Go
Shows output from your HR-20 to your laptop, etc.

Slide 54
DIRECTV Broadband Video - Q4 06
• ~ 2,000 titles at launch

(This would have to be through the USB connector)

Slide 59
What's Hot Screen
Real-time ratings of the most popular shows currently on DIRECTV

(Will the screen be interactive so you can just click and go to that show?)

Slide 60
New User Interface for 2007

Slide 64
Top 33% of customers yield 63% of profits

Slide 79
The "Hearts" program
- Above tags co-exist with Customer Value Segment, displayed as 1,3 or 5 hearts
♥♥♥♥♥
Also shows one screen CSR sees when reviewing the client

(How many hearts are you rated?)

Slide 81
Best Customer Loyalty Program
• Provide superior service
- Priority call center support
- Next day service calls (same day service in some cases)
- Free in-home service calls
- Four (4) PPV coupons per month
• First to know about new offerings
• Participation in customer advisory board
• Rewards
- Holiday card with retail discount
- Tickets to CD USA taping for local customer

(Do you know anyone who is included as a Best Customer getting these extra benefits?)

Another interesting slide from a September briefing:

Slide 11
(I was not allowed to post the link. Sorry. It is on DirecTV's website under Investor Relations, News, Events & Presentations, 9-2006)

Stabilizing Subscriber Acquisition Costs
Q2 Q2
2006 2005
Hardware $230 $250
Installation 160 160
Commission/
Direct Sales 180 180
Marketing 70 50
Total $640 $640

(If you buy direct from DirecTV, they save on average $180 in what they would pay in retail commissions. Can you use this as a bargaining chip when negotiating a price of a direct upgrade or activation? Also note that the installer is paid on average $160 per install.)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It is fairly old news, but there are some new users that haven't been here since February when we hashed it out.

So it is a good thing to read...
And be intrested in, to see what the 2007 version will be like comes February

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
I always love how they show the internet as a cloud :)

And what's this "Broadband VOD Download Service"? When's it coming?

Sorry if it's been answered before. I'm new.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mtnagel said:
And what's this "Broadband VOD Download Service"? When's it coming?
It will be similar to the cable companies VOD services. They'll have movies and other clips available for download via your broadband internet connection. As to when we'll see it, no one really knows. I've heard rumors of the end of the year, but the way some things have been going with the HR20 lately, who knows.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
I was excited when I saw this thread, I thought there might be new news about all of this. But alas, it's just the old presentation. There are obviously a lot of people who never heard about this though, so I can't complain about it being brought up again.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
PoitNarf said:
It will be similar to the cable companies VOD services. They'll have movies and other clips available for download via your broadband internet connection. As to when we'll see it, no one really knows. I've heard rumors of the end of the year, but the way some things have been going with the HR20 lately, who knows.
Cool. Any idea if it will work wirelessly or will it have to be hardwired in. Wirelessly, I could do. Hardwired would take quite a bit more effort.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mtnagel said:
Cool. Any idea if it will work wirelessly or will it have to be hardwired in. Wirelessly, I could do. Hardwired would take quite a bit more effort.
It all depends on what kind of USB adapters D* makes available. A wireless adapter certainly isn't out of the question.

·
Godfather
469 Posts
Looking at the PDF from the link that litzdog911 posted, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the "Whole-House DVR Functionality".

If this happens, D* will catch up to what ReplayTV users have been able to do for quite some time. :D

·
AllStar
61 Posts
http://blog.itvt.com/my_weblog/2006/10/16/

[itvt]: What are your plans for offering push-VOD over the new box and your other DVR's?

Shanks: We're still testing it. We're planning to roll out our movies-on-demand service in February

[itvt]: You also have plans to launch a broadband VOD service, correct?

Shanks: Yes. The broadband on-demand service is going to launch in the first half of next year. So, through your new HD DVR's broadband connection, you'll be able to get tons of titles--thousands of titles--whenever you want. It won't matter where you get your broadband from.

[itvt]: Earlier this year, you announced plans to launch a service called DirecTV To Go. What's the status of that?

Shanks: I think that that will launch towards the end of the year

[itvt]: Are you planning to implement the ability to program a DVR remotely?

Shanks: We're still testing that. As with anything that requires software and an infrastructure, it's difficult to give a precise launch date. But we think it should be out there by the end of Q1 next year.

[itvt]: Could you tell us a little more about DirecTV Game Lounge?

Shanks: Sure. It will launch to certain model boxes as early as November. We will begin rolling it out to more boxes and do a full marketing launch in January. At its core DirecTV Game Lounge is a casual games service that customers can play with their remote control. We've got great games with really high-end brands. Plus, we've been able to improve on the customer proposition and gameplay of our competitors. For example, we aggregate all these games ourselves rather than going through third parties. This has allowed us to offer all the games for one low-cost subscription. As you know, if you wanted to play all of the games from DISH or Cablevision for example, it would cost you like $25 per month. We will offer all of our games for $5.99 per month.

http:// blog.itvt.com/my_weblog/2006/10/16/

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
That is a very interesting and informative interview. I like the definite timeframes given for the new stuff, and I was also glad to hear that remote DVR scheduling is coming next year!

Now, how about enabling interactive on the H20??????????????????

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The forum is growing so fast, I bet the average reader has only been around a month or two. Many get installed, problems fixed, and are back off of the forum. HR-20 seems to give people a reason to keep coming back to the forum for months. How many readers are there now? How long have they been a member of the forum?

The current questions that I keep seeing come up are ones like these:

+ Is there a new dish coming out?
+ When will they start having more national HD channels?
+ Do they intend to really use the USB?
+ Why doesn't D* offer something like Slingbox?

These materials had those answers.

I have seen no one talking about these topics which made me wonder if they even knew about the new:
+ What’s Hot Screen - Real-time ratings
+ New User Interface for 2007

People often include in their post that they are one of D*'s best customers, but is that what D* thinks? Next time you are on the phone, know to ask about the Hearts and they probably will tell you. I have seen no reference in months.

I for one would love to know if anyone is in the Best Customer Loyalty Program. Are they really getting all of the things D* promises? How did they get there? Are any of you in it?

-Milominderbinder
(The quartermaster from Catch22)

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Just a comment on customer "ratings"

Recently I noticed my one subscription with D* had been up for a few months and I had just purchased a HD TV so I did some digging. I found this forum and stumbled upon the number for retention and decided to call D*.

When I called I said "Hi, I'm a current subscriber that has been happy with my D* service but now with the world of HD I've been considering other options such as E* since I am no longer under contract with D*. I just recently added a third new TV to my home which happens to be our first HD TV. I'm mainly trying to get into the world of HD. Can D* help me with this?"

Basically this all I said.

It was a women and first she verified I wasn't under contract.

Then she did this with me basically saying nothing.

1. "We have a HD package, interested? Me: Yes. "O.k. first 4 months free, $9.99 after that, 2 year obligation.
2. "You'll need a new box, normally they are $299, just a moment, O.k. looking at your customer record I see your an excellent customer, have never been late making your payment, never asked/complained to have a pay per view movie credited back to your account because you accidentally ordered it (wierd she said this but that is what she said) and have been subscribing to the premiere plus package." So because of this I can give you a free HR-20."
3. "There will be a 19.95 fee, I can't waive this but I can credit your bill $20 so I'll do that now."
4. "Installation will be free. You'll need a new dish and that will be free as well."

"Is this all o.k?" Yes...

So I have no idea if that line in bold was just some CSR B.S. or if those things are really important to them. But my bill is always paid on time because it is bundled with my phone service and in the past 16 months we have ordered a grand total of 4 pay per view movies and this was before we became Netflix members.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...perhaps good customers to them doesn't necessarily been you have to subscribe to every single channel on the planet but that you pay your bill on time and don't ask for B. S. back credits. I'm sure subscribing to the most expensive packages helps in their eyes as well.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
crockett said:
So I have no idea if that line in bold was just some CSR B.S. or if those things are really important to them. But my bill is always paid on time because it is bundled with my phone service and in the past 16 months we have ordered a grand total of 4 pay per view movies and this was before we became Netflix members.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...perhaps good customers to them doesn't necessarily been you have to subscribe to every single channel on the planet but that you pay your bill on time and don't ask for B. S. back credits. I'm sure subscribing to the most expensive packages helps in their eyes as well.
Absolutely, no late payments makes you an excellent customer in D*s eyes regardless of package.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I never call to complain, never have upgraded my equipment except for my two Series 1 TiVos which I paid for myself, and I've been subscribing to NFL ST for 9 years. I'm sure that helps my "Hearts" rating in their eyes. :lol:

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Earl,

Are you or anyone on the forum a member of the Best Customer Loyalty Program?

Best Customer Loyalty Program
• Provide superior service
– Priority call center support
– Next day service calls (same day service in some cases)
– Free in-home service calls
– Four (4) PPV coupons per month
• First to know about new offerings
• Participation in customer advisory board
• Rewards
– Holiday card with retail discount
– Tickets to CD USA taping for local customer

What do you do with the membership credit card?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.