DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Jon J said:
You report your experience. We report ours. We differ. Okay?
The contention here is most of us should be having nearly the same experience using the same models and the same software. If you are not, then its time to start looking at other things in your setup that may be causing your issues. If everything is working properly, then there should be very little difference in performance. If you choose to solely blame the new GUI and not at least look for other reasons, that would be your loss.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
How many of you that find the new HDGUI so slow are also setup for whole home? I'm trying to find a correlation between those of you having poor performance vs. those of us that are seeing very good performance.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
So everyone that says their model(s) are slower or much slower, how many have whole home? How many don't? How many have at least run a simple HDD diagnostics tests through the DVR's menu system to verify that their HDD's are not giving any errors? How about signal strengths?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
LubbersLine said:
I have not received the new HDUI yet (have a HR20-700) but as I read through this thread I was trying to see if there was another (aside from whole home) common reason for the slowness.

I'm not sure if its been brought up yet BUT you mention you have a new 1TB hd. Do you know what speed your hd is? 5400 or 7200 rpm? I would guess its not 10,000 rpm. Maybe just maybe its the drive's performance (rpm speed) that is affecting others UI performance. I'm at work so I can't check my ext drive's speed.
Its not the drives....unless the drive is actually having a problem, faster drive speeds have almost no impact in this application. Many of us have experimented with 7200rpm drives in place of the original 5400's and even timed events it makes virtually no difference. Only creates more heat.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
JonW said:
A lot of us are using multi-room viewing, and the resulting combined play list - simply put - is a resource pig. Slow and lagged remote control response is another ancient problem that hasn't gone away. Neither has slow channel changing. Menu navigation is also slower simply because it requires more steps.
Slower channel change speed is part of satellite tv, you can't channel surf like you could or can with cable, the current system works completely differently. Also channel change speed has changed considerably since the advent of HD. SLow and lagged remote response is almost non-existent in my setup since the HDGUI went in, so it is possible you have another issue that may be unrelated to the HDGUI.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
I fortunately am in the camp with inkahauts, my old original HR20, from 2006, has a 1.5T drive attached to it, well over 200 hours of programming on it, and it works great, very zippy. Perhaps you have a HDD going bad?

1 - 14 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.