DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
tivoboy said:
So, posted elsewhere then found this thread.

H20-700 got the update on the 1/4/2012. It is definitely much slower. Everyone in the house has reported the same thing at different times.

The ONLY thing I find faster, is scrolling UP and DOWN speed in the guide or the list.

Getting TO the guide from say watching tv, is SLOWER
Getting to the LIST from watching tv, is SLOWER

If I'm watching a show and get to the end and want to delete, waiting for the DELETE NOW to pop up is SLOWER

After hitting DELETE and getting back to LIST or GUIDE is WAAAAYY SLOWER, it takes about 10-15 seconds to get back to the LIST. Frack that.

Getting the guide to move further in the future, so to the right, is SLOWER

Selecting something to RECORD from the GUIDE, used to be pretty instantaneous, now it is SLOWER.

Responding to ANY button presses is SLOWER

I see a pattern here, the damb thing is SLOWER!
First off, what receiver do you actually have? NO H20's get the hd gui, as you say you have, so I am thinking you have an hr20.

Try clearing the nvram first, and then do a menu restart twice within 30 mins of each other. That will clear everything out and reload all your guide data. I have none of the issues you are having. So maybe clearing out your system will get rid of whatever bug ails your unit.

To clear your nvram do the following:

press red-red-blue-blue-yellow-green while tuned to channel 1

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"lparsons21" said:
If history is an indicator, they will add some things to it, but speed won't be improved and maybe even worsened.
That's a revisionists theory. Speed has gone down and up and back and forth on several occasions, and lately, with the general speed of the guide increasing, I think their focus appears to be more in speeding things up than adding features right now. The only feature they have added in a long time has been pandora. The hd GUI is a speed increase for some parts more than it is anything else, the only thing they added with it was some suggestions, which really didn't change or add much in the way of new features with it, it just stylized everything differently.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"sjord7" said:
I have the HR-20, and mine is double pig-dog slow. Yes, the new HD guide and list are faster once you get in them, but getting to them, or out of them or any other button I press can take varying amounts of time. It might take 5 seconds, or 50 seconds. My wife and I laugh at how slow it is - she keeps telling me to do something, and I just sit there, telling her I pressed the button almost a minute ago - and nothing has happened.

I too have been with DirecTV for many many years - but this is so ridiculous. I don't know of any other box I have hooked to my TV where when I press a button it takes it almost a minute to respond!

I want to go to the HR34 - for the more tuners and larger amount of space (and hopefully faster hardware), but it appears to be full of bugs, including it won't necessarily even record your shows for you!
What's weird is I don't have these problems. I fact, lately, my hr20 has picked up even more speed through the menus. I just don't get the inconsistency of the speed of the units. I have a feeling they are working on that, but I wonder if anything we have in our systems can impact it as well.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"bossfan50" said:
Ditto. My Hr20-100 is becoming unusable. 15 to 30 second button response times. The response time per button push is so slow that when I enter a 3 digit channel number it is frustratingly laughable when the channel changes before the third number is even processed by the receiver. Then sometimes the channel changes and then I am presented with a black screen for a minute or two until the picture appears.

Has anyone called retention to discuss this problem because as much as I hate to do it I may have to give FIOS a serious look.
Do a menu reset of you unit, and the as soon as its back up again, do another menu reset. This will completely clear out all the guide data. It may fix some of your issues. It's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"jimmie57" said:
If you have not done these things before.

Try this:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.
I like everything you say, except do not press the red button on the receiver. You should do a menu reset, it's much better for the unit, and you should do it twice in a row, literally as soon as it comes backup after the first time, do it again, to completely flush all guide data. The menu reset is found towards the bottom of the options in the system setup screen. A simple reset receiver is all that's needed.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"sdk009" said:
Are we all expected to go through these series of "gimics" in order to have a satisfactorly working DVR?

Does anybody working for D* monitor these threads and realize there might be a problem? We are a very small sampling of subscribers and the vast majority of D*'s customers are not even aware of this fourm. They are probably having the same problem, but don't know that there is avenue to express it. .
It's also possible that it simply needs to be reset with a guide data flush and a nvram clear and it will be fine again for a very long time. Like I said, I am not seeing these issues, so it's clearly not the norm to have everyone's unit slow to a crawl, others are like me as well. I think the biggest thing everyone should try is a complete guide data flush.

I would not suggest that the vast majority of people are having these problems too. And if they are, DirecTV will get a ton of phone calls abut it. I will say that yes, DirecTV has been known to see major issues that are posted in this thread.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"jimmie57" said:
LOL
Can't win for losing.
I was posting for people to reset using the software on the DirecTV forum and the guys over there told me not to do that because too many people were choosing the wrong reset and losing their recordings. They said to always use the red button.

I use the software reset personally just like you do on your PC, shut down and restart.
Maybe it would be clearer to people if they labeled it Shut Down / Restart on the first line.
Restart receiver does not at all sound like reset everything to me. Weird they would shave that problem with lots of people doing it.

Wonder what guys it was.....

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"NoOTA" said:
It is strange that some are fast, but do those of us that have slowdown an unresponsive older hardware pay less? No. We have old hardware because we have been with them longer. We probably are the power users who have larger drives and keep more and push our hardware more. We are also the go-to people for neighbors and parents who are less technical.

How can I recommend THIS to any of them when they might get a HR20-HR23 from Direct? The product IS really defective in its current form and like was said earlier would be laughed at if it were at a consumer show.

And I have tried the resets and the unit is actually SLOWER for the first 24 hours while it rebuilds, then comes back to the same 8-10 second LIST appearing problem.

Yes, it's a problem. Do they know WHY? Does Direct want to take some of these back and swap out new hardware(on THEIR dime), with engineering getting to look at the units that are slow?

THAT would help THEM solve the problem and those of us with old, slow hardware would get swapped and turn us back into great evangelizes again.

Just an Idea
Your making it sound like everyone with older hardware has these issues. I still have two of the hr20 I got in the first month they hit the market. They are not slow. I am sure that DirecTV has plenty of units of their own that they can work with to figure out why you might be having these issues.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"Pluvious" said:
I gave it 48 hours and yes, the 10-15sec delay to get the list up and deleting a show you finished watching STILL is UNACCEPTABLE. If this isn't addressed soon I will be forced to leave DirectV.

Unless the HR23 is for sure not effected by this bug. In that case, I'll be demanding a replacement model or else.

I'm losing my patience with this.
That is ridiculous amount of time. You don't have an esata drive hooked up do you? It could that you have a drive that is starting to die.

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
If you unplug the esata drive, you have to wait more than 48 hours before you can again start to judge speed. Units have sporadic speed increases and decreases in my experience when populating all guide data.

The funny thing about this is, I don't think they changed a single thing when it comes to how they process the playlist when they changed the GUI. But who knows...

·
Premium Member
24,395 Posts
"scottchez" said:
Both of mine have been slow since the HD upgrade. Tried all the tips for reset listed here.

Guess my options is to pay money to upgrade to the HR34 or also pay money to upgrade to Two Dish Hoppers to get 6 tuners. Either way I must pay.
Or wait till the next update of firmware to see if they don't address your issues. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.