DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
173 Posts
HR20-100, external 2TB array in a cooled VanTec MX enclosure, both vintage August 2007, no Whole Home, networked via ethernet, and this HR20 has been brought to its knees by the new interface. I would gladly roll back the firmware if I knew how.

Access to Menu from TV, Access to Playlist, Access to Guide are all now noticeably slower: 8 to 15 seconds, whereas 2 seconds was more the norm for the previous firmware. Clearing the NVRAM and doing two menu dash-button resets in a half hour will fix the problem for the first day, but after the guide is fully loaded this DVR is slogged back down.

I'm an early adopter, DTV since Sept. 1994 (I have a five digit account number [6xxxx] remember the old USSB days??), and I haven't bothered them for anything, ever, in 17 years, but this one has me reaching for the phone....

·
Legend
173 Posts
Posts #79 and #81 on this thread are my experiences also. The update that removed the annoying black bar when using FF or RW did little to upgrade the speed of my HR20-100. I tried rebooting on the internal drive, was pleased to see some old stuff there I figured I might as well start watching, was disappointed that the molasses-slow response was still there.

I have significant patience with DirecTV, if 17+ years is worth anything, but this is the first time I've actually been pushed to considering alternatives. My Dad ditched his cable for DirecTV last summer, and whatever box they gave him runs like greased lightning and he got free Sunday Ticket this season also. (I seem to recall a few months of free premium channels that I don't watch much. But I digress...) I just want the darned DVR to do what I want it to do in a reasonable period of time!!

Pluvious said:
Yep.. my HR20-100 is painfully slow when accessing the LIST and deleting stuff. I LOVE the new look but the the functionality has seriously suffered. Yes I can scroll around the 'guide' super fast but all the actual functions are slower then before.

I assumed my 2TB external drive has something to do with it.. lots to scan/read in that list. >shrug<

·
Legend
173 Posts
Many posts on this thread reflect my current level of frustration with DirecTV, which has known only one higher peak (the dreaded club 771 issue). No need to repeat my setup and issues, they are still the same, and the same as many others complaining on this thread. I've been drinking DTV's Kool Aid since Sept. 21, 1994, so I'm entitled to satisfaction, here.

I now demand redress of this grievance. In much the same way that D* issued several iterations of access cards when they were trying to secure their signal, it's time for them to issue equipment to those of us whose leased equipment is so old as to be unable to keep up with their increasing demands on limited hardware.

I want another HD-DVR, I want it to cost me exactly $0, and I want it to perform satisfactorily. Failing that, I want my HDUI to be rolled back to the one that worked perfectly satisfactorily before they biddle-botched it with this new software!!

And I'm tired of waiting. I'm getting absolutely nowhere with over the phone CSR's who seem to want me to pay something to fix THEIR problem.

·
Legend
173 Posts
jimmie57 said:
If you have not done these things before.

Try this:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.
Alas, I have done all of these things. I'm done with it. My HR 20-100 is the MAIN DVR in my house, and my wife wants to throw the remote at the TV she is so frustrated with this. The only way (other than Quick-Tune) to change channels is to press GUIDE, wait for 15 seconds or so, and tune to the station you want by scrolling up/down to it, and pressing SELECT. Absurd!! The DVR barely processes number key entries, and forget doing any kind of a Smart Search...I have to cancel and left-arrow out. I'm done booting this thing over and over. This was a fine, stable, and slightly slow DVR until DirecTV started fiddling with the UI. I've been the best customer DTV has ever had, never called or complained about anything, paid my bill on time for over 17 years, and I'm entitled to satisfaction of this issue.

DO YOU HEAR ME, DTV!? I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!! I WANT A DVR THAT WORKS! THIS HR 20-100 HAS NOT FUNCTIONED SINCE THE "UPGRADE" TO THE UI. TAKE THE UPGRADE BACK, OR TAKE THIS DVR BACK!!

Thanks, DBS Talkers, for the opportunity to rant. My DVR is still slower than dirt, but at least I feel better...

·
Legend
173 Posts
My HR 20-100 is still double pig-dog slow :(. I thought it was my external drive so I disconnected it and went back to the stock internal. After 2 days, slogged back down to a crawl.

I think I'll upgrade to an HR 34 and Whole Home when the bugs get ironed out of the 34...I can keep this HR 20 on another TV and serve the recordings from it until they're gone, then decomission it.

·
Legend
173 Posts
I'm done kvetching!! 0x5c8 has restored my HR 20-100 to its former self!! I'm so pleased that I waited this one out. I was one of the first 70,000 customers to sign up with DTV in Sept. 1994 (if my 5 digit account number is any indication) and I didn't want to end that business relationship over a technical matter.

Thanks, both to DirecTV, and to the folks on this forum. The ability to freely vent and also to know that others were having the same problems was very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.