DBSTalk Forum banner
181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
Podkayne said:
Thank you both, will try to be more proactive instead of just kvetching when something weird happens, which really isn't all that often.
Exactly, being part of the solution, or at least trying to get a solution is always best. CCarncross's steps won't work, but mine should.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
188 Posts
I'm one of the happy people. My HR20-700 was taking up to 10 seconds to pull up my playlist but it's now less than a second with the new update. It changes channels quickly, pulls up the info menu quickly and even brings up the guide quickly.

I was ready to drop the thing out the window but I'd like to thank you, DirecTV, for making my DVR work the way it's supposed to.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,489 Posts
NoOTA said:
WHY!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I have to have the pig-dog-slow one while your is fast?

It's not the drive, as this slow speed came and went with loading the HD vs the old SD GUI, but the old GUI is no longer an option.

Also loose all the stored recording if get a new unit, as they are tied to the unit ID, not my account ID. If I'm going to loose all, I might as well look around for other options...
Frustrating.
Well, I would Suggest buying an Owned HR24-500 and the Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a 2 TB WD20EADS and be done with it!!!

All 5 of my Owned HR24-500 are Fast because I have Replaced the Internal Hard Drive with a Faster 2 TB WD20EADS Drive and they all work Fast.

However, others with HR24-500s and other model HR24s are experience Sluggishness and the Only Difference is that I Replaced my Internal Drive with a Faster Drive with a Larger Cache Buffer Area.

If you can afford to lose your Recordings this is my Recommendation or buy an HR34 and Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a Faster Drive with a Larger Cache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
BigSey said:
I'm one of the happy people. My HR20-700 was taking up to 10 seconds to pull up my playlist but it's now less than a second with the new update. It changes channels quickly, pulls up the info menu quickly and even brings up the guide quickly.

I was ready to drop the thing out the window but I'd like to thank you, DirecTV, for making my DVR work the way it's supposed to.
I'm pulling for ya! Keep in mind, previous dramatic improvements in reducing sluggishness were followed by a gradual (within a week to 10 days) return to molassis. Here's hoping the problems (specifically with the HR20-700) are really fixed. My long term favorite DVR (HR20-700) has been intermittently (more often than not, however) very sluggish for quite some time. (many months, but not years)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
173 Posts
I'm done kvetching!! 0x5c8 has restored my HR 20-100 to its former self!! I'm so pleased that I waited this one out. I was one of the first 70,000 customers to sign up with DTV in Sept. 1994 (if my 5 digit account number is any indication) and I didn't want to end that business relationship over a technical matter.

Thanks, both to DirecTV, and to the folks on this forum. The ability to freely vent and also to know that others were having the same problems was very helpful.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
70 Posts
NoOTA said:
.... Also loose all the stored recording if get a new unit, as they are tied to the unit ID, not my account ID. If I'm going to loose all, I might as well look around for other options...
Richierich said:
Well, I would Suggest buying an Owned HR24-500 and the Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a 2 TB WD20EADS and be done with it!!!

All 5 of my Owned HR24-500 are Fast because I have Replaced the Internal Hard Drive with a Faster 2 TB WD20EADS Drive and they all work Fast.

However, others with HR24-500s and other model HR24s are experience Sluggishness and the Only Difference is that I Replaced my Internal Drive with a Faster Drive with a Larger Cache Buffer Area.
I realize that replacing the drive gives the extra capacity and makes a response difference but how would that help keep "the recordings" when that drive or unit fails? It is my understanding that the an external drive (just like the internal drive) w/recordings gets "married" to the DVR that records it..... unless I'm misinformed.

Please forgive my ignorance as I have yet to receive my 1st HRxx.

I'm just so used to the old SD DTivos that I can copy the contents of the old drive to a new one then reinstall it or remarry it if necessary to another unit.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
845 Posts
Its been a while since my last post. About 10 months ago, I switched from Directv to TWC so I could get some TIVO Premieres because I just couldn't stand the problems with my Directv DVRs. I recall back in late 2006, when I switched from the TIVO HR10-250 to the HR20, I was frustrated with the number of bugs. Well, now than 5 years later, from reading these posts, it seems that nothing much has really improved.

My experience with the Premieres has been excellent. It was difficult to get them paired with cable cards and sdv converters, but once I got over that hump they have been flawless. Whole home DVR included at no extra charge, lifetime service which will pay for itself in about another year, and the only charge is $2 per month for the cable card.

With the Premieres/TWC, there's really nothing to complain about, so it gets boring. No more trying to figure out constant slowness bugs, no more calling Directv to be insulted, no more posts on these forums looking for help. I actually have time to watch TV and work now.
 
181 - 194 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top