DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 194 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Jon J said:
You report your experience. We report ours. We differ. Okay?
The contention here is most of us should be having nearly the same experience using the same models and the same software. If you are not, then its time to start looking at other things in your setup that may be causing your issues. If everything is working properly, then there should be very little difference in performance. If you choose to solely blame the new GUI and not at least look for other reasons, that would be your loss.

·
Legend
239 Posts
My external WD eSATA connected to my HR20-700 is a couple of years old and after the HD upgrade I have definitely seen a speed/response improvement that is now comparable to my HR24-500 with no hard drive issues.

The only slight degradation in performance (on both units) is whole home-related activities when initially accessing a recording on the other unit.

For me, the HD UI has been great for my HR20.

·
Grouch Extrordinaire
1,237 Posts
CCarncross said:
If you choose to solely blame the new GUI and not at least look for other reasons, that would be your loss.
You seem to be itching for a confrontation. No thanks.

I have not blamed the new GUI for anything. I have simply reported the fact that to me other than navigating the guide itself, nothing else about the receiver's response has improved.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
My HR20 is ridiculously slow and I've had the guide for weeks. It was fine before but the last few days it's horrible. 7-10 for anything to happen. Love the look but hate the slowness :(

So, I've had this thing for >5 years. Is there anyway to get directv to give me a new one without any other problems? Will that even help anything?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
There's no guarantee of what you'd get. The only thing to do is get a leased HR24 from a reseller, for $200 and contract. DirecTV may be willing to provide a credit to offset that.

Either that, or wait until February and see of you can get a deal on a HR34. But that software is a bit rough around the edges.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
mtnagel said:
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait till my hard drive dies. The 8 sec delay after button presses is getting quite annoying though.
"You know", if mine were doing this, "I'd be calling" to get it fixed.

This is supposed to get to people that know it shouldn't be this way: Tech support: 1-800-676-3169

·
Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
"veryoldschool" said:
"You know", if mine were doing this, "I'd be calling" to get it fixed.

This is supposed to get to people that know it shouldn't be this way: Tech support: 1-800-676-3169
Aren't they just going to tell me to do a reset and delete my recordings like they told some one above? I'm not willing to do that.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
mtnagel said:
Aren't they just going to tell me to do a reset and delete my recordings like they told some one above? I'm not willing to do that.
"Well" they could tell me to delete my recordings, and "I'd tell them"... This isn't tech support.
"Restarting" a receiver is one thing, while swiping out the drive is another.
You're looking for someone that knows what they're doing, and not a first line CSR reading off their screen.
The more information you can give them, the more they "should be" able to help you.
While I haven't called that number, I have talked to some that know what they're doing and was given "that number" to get back to them.

·
Legend
152 Posts
As I mentioned above, I have an external drive with lots of pages of recordings. I am pretty sure that it is a 1TB drive, and is usually 70% free.
The most telling delay is when I access the playlist with all these recordings.
Mostly old movies, I would gladly delete all of them to get rid of the delay.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
fullcourt81 said:
As I mentioned above, I have an external drive with lots of pages of recordings. I am pretty sure that it is a 1TB drive, and is usually 70% free.
The most telling delay is when I access the playlist with all these recordings.
Mostly old movies, I would gladly delete all of them to get rid of the delay.
If it is the external, "couldn't you find out", by rebooting on the internal drive?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
How many of you that find the new HDGUI so slow are also setup for whole home? I'm trying to find a correlation between those of you having poor performance vs. those of us that are seeing very good performance.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
"CCarncross" said:
How many of you that find the new HDGUI so slow are also setup for whole home? I'm trying to find a correlation between those of you having poor performance vs. those of us that are seeing very good performance.
Not using whole home. Single DVR here.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
So everyone that says their model(s) are slower or much slower, how many have whole home? How many don't? How many have at least run a simple HDD diagnostics tests through the DVR's menu system to verify that their HDD's are not giving any errors? How about signal strengths?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
"CCarncross" said:
So everyone that says their model(s) are slower or much slower, how many have whole home? How many don't? How many have at least run a simple HDD diagnostics tests through the DVR's menu system to verify that their HDD's are not giving any errors? How about signal strengths?
No whole home as mentioned. I can run those tests but it seems pretty obvious that the change is the new guide. And can you explain what signal strength has to do with pulling up you list of recordings?

·
Mentor
47 Posts
I'll put in my .02 My HR20 I would say *overall* is slower with the new GUI, also It screws up my 2nd TV that's running off composite out by plastering that "Non HD" message over the screen whenever you do anything with the menu.

That said, paging through the guide (once its up) is certainly faster. If that was their main/only goal, they fixed that, however the overall experience is not improved.

·
Icon
1,291 Posts
mtnagel said:
And can you explain what signal strength has to do with pulling up you list of recordings?
Maybe nothing. Or maybe if a signal is marginal, checking and rechecking for a signal lock takes priority over other activities. I don't think any of us really knows.

The reason for asking is to see IF there is some sort of common factor.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
So after 48 hours, the DVR finally had a useable speed, but I didn't get around to posting that. Glad I didn't, because now this POS is unusable. When I started watching things tonight, it would take 30 seconds from the time I stopped playback of a recorded until it would let me choose something.

Well right now I just ended the playback of the football game, glad I fast forwarded the 2nd half, I had a feeling I was wasting my time, and my menus never came back on the screen. I'll have to yank the external and compare vs the internal, but that still makes this DVR unusable to me.
Bleep DTV, this 10 year customer is close to calling it quits.

21 - 40 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.