DBSTalk Forum banner
121 - 140 of 194 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
173 Posts
jimmie57 said:
If you have not done these things before.

Try this:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.
Alas, I have done all of these things. I'm done with it. My HR 20-100 is the MAIN DVR in my house, and my wife wants to throw the remote at the TV she is so frustrated with this. The only way (other than Quick-Tune) to change channels is to press GUIDE, wait for 15 seconds or so, and tune to the station you want by scrolling up/down to it, and pressing SELECT. Absurd!! The DVR barely processes number key entries, and forget doing any kind of a Smart Search...I have to cancel and left-arrow out. I'm done booting this thing over and over. This was a fine, stable, and slightly slow DVR until DirecTV started fiddling with the UI. I've been the best customer DTV has ever had, never called or complained about anything, paid my bill on time for over 17 years, and I'm entitled to satisfaction of this issue.

DO YOU HEAR ME, DTV!? I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!! I WANT A DVR THAT WORKS! THIS HR 20-100 HAS NOT FUNCTIONED SINCE THE "UPGRADE" TO THE UI. TAKE THE UPGRADE BACK, OR TAKE THIS DVR BACK!!

Thanks, DBS Talkers, for the opportunity to rant. My DVR is still slower than dirt, but at least I feel better...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,062 Posts
podkayne
From your description of the time it takes, I would think a phone call is definitely in order. I have been with them since 1996 and I certainly would call. So far I am lucky with my HR23. It is only taking 3 seconds for the Guide to come up. Having said that I am still running 0x57b and not the very latest 0x59e. Almost afraid for it to load.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
128 Posts
I have 3 HR24-200 and they are driving me nuts also!! Besides being slow, Does anyone find when pushing fast forward multiple times to speed it up from 1-4 you have to hit it multiple times and sometime it jumps way ahead?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,062 Posts
vid53 said:
I have 3 HR24-200 and they are driving me nuts also!! Besides being slow, Does anyone find when pushing fast forward multiple times to speed it up from 1-4 you have to hit it multiple times and sometime it jumps way ahead?
If you press the button too quickly it might be interpreting it as you holding down the button.
Holding down the FF button is supposed to jump you to the next tick mark in the program. Those are usually 15 minutes apart.
Doing the same thing with the skip ahead button is supposed to jump you to the end of the program.
These also work going backwards.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
691 Posts
jimmie57 said:
If you have not done these things before.

Try this:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.
Are we all expected to go through these series of "gimics" in order to have a satisfactorly working DVR?

Does anybody working for D* monitor these threads and realize there might be a problem? We are a very small sampling of subscribers and the vast majority of D*'s customers are not even aware of this fourm. They are probably having the same problem, but don't know that there is avenue to express it. .
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
sdk009 said:
Are we all expected to go through these series of "gimics" in order to have a satisfactorly working DVR?

Does anybody working for D* monitor these threads and realize there might be a problem? We are a very small sampling of subscribers and the vast majority of D*'s customers are not even aware of this fourm. They are probably having the same problem, but don't know that there is avenue to express it. .
Yes, I am pretty sure they are well aware of this.

There are about four different things one can do that may or may not work wonders; should we have to do them when we experience slowdowns? Dunno.

Also, there are factors that may or may not apply to anyone's situation: Capacity of HDD used; Guide becoming corrupted; HDMI handshake issues; battery level; line of sight, signal strength; failing HDD.

I'm a fan of periodically flushing the Guide. To do so, you'd need to reset the receiver twice within 30 minutes. Best to used Menu reset, but Red Button Reset can also be used.

Best of luck!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
I know my living room DVR typically acts up during certain times of the time. The other strange thing is that I can switch boxes around and the problem stays with the room not the DVR. I know that sounds like signal issue but I can go to to signal strength #s in the DVR is still in 80s and 90s. Any thoughts?
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
kevinwmsn said:
I know my living room DVR typically acts up during certain times of the time. The other strange thing is that I can switch boxes around and the problem stays with the room not the DVR. I know that sounds like signal issue but I can go to to signal strength #s in the DVR is still in 80s and 90s. Any thoughts?
Yes: wiring to the LR is faulty. I mean, that's a guess..... AFAIK, what I've assumed, is that signal strength is measured at the LNB- also a guess. So I hope others can chime in. If not, post in the VOS thread.

Good sleuthing work, though!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
"jimmie57" said:
If you have not done these things before.

Try this:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.
I like everything you say, except do not press the red button on the receiver. You should do a menu reset, it's much better for the unit, and you should do it twice in a row, literally as soon as it comes backup after the first time, do it again, to completely flush all guide data. The menu reset is found towards the bottom of the options in the system setup screen. A simple reset receiver is all that's needed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
"sdk009" said:
Are we all expected to go through these series of "gimics" in order to have a satisfactorly working DVR?

Does anybody working for D* monitor these threads and realize there might be a problem? We are a very small sampling of subscribers and the vast majority of D*'s customers are not even aware of this fourm. They are probably having the same problem, but don't know that there is avenue to express it. .
It's also possible that it simply needs to be reset with a guide data flush and a nvram clear and it will be fine again for a very long time. Like I said, I am not seeing these issues, so it's clearly not the norm to have everyone's unit slow to a crawl, others are like me as well. I think the biggest thing everyone should try is a complete guide data flush.

I would not suggest that the vast majority of people are having these problems too. And if they are, DirecTV will get a ton of phone calls abut it. I will say that yes, DirecTV has been known to see major issues that are posted in this thread.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,062 Posts
LOL
Can't win for losing.
I was posting for people to reset using the software on the DirecTV forum and the guys over there told me not to do that because too many people were choosing the wrong reset and losing their recordings. They said to always use the red button.

I use the software reset personally just like you do on your PC, shut down and restart.
Maybe it would be clearer to people if they labeled it Shut Down / Restart on the first line.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
"jimmie57" said:
LOL
Can't win for losing.
I was posting for people to reset using the software on the DirecTV forum and the guys over there told me not to do that because too many people were choosing the wrong reset and losing their recordings. They said to always use the red button.

I use the software reset personally just like you do on your PC, shut down and restart.
Maybe it would be clearer to people if they labeled it Shut Down / Restart on the first line.
Restart receiver does not at all sound like reset everything to me. Weird they would shave that problem with lots of people doing it.

Wonder what guys it was.....
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
51 Posts
It is strange that some are fast, but do those of us that have slowdown an unresponsive older hardware pay less? No. We have old hardware because we have been with them longer. We probably are the power users who have larger drives and keep more and push our hardware more. We are also the go-to people for neighbors and parents who are less technical.

How can I recommend THIS to any of them when they might get a HR20-HR23 from Direct? The product IS really defective in its current form and like was said earlier would be laughed at if it were at a consumer show.

And I have tried the resets and the unit is actually SLOWER for the first 24 hours while it rebuilds, then comes back to the same 8-10 second LIST appearing problem.

Yes, it's a problem. Do they know WHY? Does Direct want to take some of these back and swap out new hardware(on THEIR dime), with engineering getting to look at the units that are slow?

THAT would help THEM solve the problem and those of us with old, slow hardware would get swapped and turn us back into great evangelizes again.

Just an Idea
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
"NoOTA" said:
It is strange that some are fast, but do those of us that have slowdown an unresponsive older hardware pay less? No. We have old hardware because we have been with them longer. We probably are the power users who have larger drives and keep more and push our hardware more. We are also the go-to people for neighbors and parents who are less technical.

How can I recommend THIS to any of them when they might get a HR20-HR23 from Direct? The product IS really defective in its current form and like was said earlier would be laughed at if it were at a consumer show.

And I have tried the resets and the unit is actually SLOWER for the first 24 hours while it rebuilds, then comes back to the same 8-10 second LIST appearing problem.

Yes, it's a problem. Do they know WHY? Does Direct want to take some of these back and swap out new hardware(on THEIR dime), with engineering getting to look at the units that are slow?

THAT would help THEM solve the problem and those of us with old, slow hardware would get swapped and turn us back into great evangelizes again.

Just an Idea
Your making it sound like everyone with older hardware has these issues. I still have two of the hr20 I got in the first month they hit the market. They are not slow. I am sure that DirecTV has plenty of units of their own that they can work with to figure out why you might be having these issues.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
I gave it 48 hours and yes, the 10-15sec delay to get the list up and deleting a show you finished watching STILL is UNACCEPTABLE. If this isn't addressed soon I will be forced to leave DirectV.

Unless the HR23 is for sure not effected by this bug. In that case, I'll be demanding a replacement model or else.

I'm losing my patience with this.
 
121 - 140 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top