DBSTalk Forum banner
161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
lparsons21 said:
Rich, if I'm remembering your setup right, it would be difficult to switch to anything as you have so many units.

For Mike maybe the new hopper/joey from Dish will be a good option to consider because of his viewing habits and for a new customer it is one Hopper + 3 Joeys for no upfront cost.

I've been reading a lot about the H/J from Dish, and I could easily see one Hopper + 1 Joey replacing my 3 HR24s because of my household viewing/recording patterns.

That said, even though my HR24-500s are running slower than they did when I got them because of the HDGUI, they aren't giving me any issues to really irritate me to the point of throwing a remote. And my MRV setup, though slow to start a recorded viewing, works flawlessly.
The Hopper/Joey setup may work (if they work!). I usually do Sunday Ticket but I'll not likely be willing to pay what they'll ask next season.

Maybe....

·
Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
I got good news besides my rant/fustration I've been on for many months. I did some rearranging in my tv cabinet and double checking all wires to make sure they were all rg6 and they were but I saw I had several 3 foot rg 6 connectors combined by a barrel connector to make them a 6 foot footer to reach a higher part of the cabinet.

old setup

dish - 4 way green splitter
-- (living room) - PI - 3 foot wire- barrel - 3 foot wire - deca unit - hr 20
--(bedroom) - deca unit hr 21.

new setup

-- (living room) - PI - 3 foot wire - deca unit - hr 20

now I also moved my dvr lower in the cabinet with 3 feet clearance on the top compared to about 2 inches before in a smaller area in the upper part of wooden tv cabinet.

I'm not sure if it was removing the barrel connector and an additional wire or moving the dvr to a more open area(possible heat problem):confused:. It does still have a few sec no response/slow response every now and then from the remote but it is worlds better than minutes/hours better of no response. It is finally works decent now.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
kevinwmsn said:
I got good news besides my rant/fustration I've been on for many months. I did some rearranging in my tv cabinet and double checking all wires to make sure they were all rg6 and they were but I saw I had several 3 foot rg 6 connectors combined by a barrel connector to make them a 6 foot footer to reach a higher part of the cabinet.

old setup

new setup

now I also moved my dvr lower in the cabinet with 3 feet clearance on the top compared to about 2 inches before in a smaller area in the upper part of wooden tv cabinet.

I'm not sure if it was removing the barrel connector and an additional wire or moving the dvr to a more open area(possible heat problem):confused:. It does still have a few sec no response/slow response every now and then from the remote but it is worlds better than minutes/hours better of no response. It is finally works decent now.:)
That's great news - if it stays.... My receivers will work pretty well for 3 or 4 days after a restart but then slow back down....

·
Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Mike Greer said:
I'd basically just give up Showtime and the few other pay channels we watch. I guess a couple of standalone Tivos for OTA plus Netflix and Hulu would cover most of what I do.
I tried to go all NetFlix last year and the wife nixed that idea. I could do what you suggest without problem, but I don't pay the bills.

I do like MRV although it is much slower to respond since our 'upgrade' and FFWD's autocorrect constantly annoys me. I'd still miss that! But I'm good with the other Tivo things - I can adapt.
We'd really miss MRV, even my granddaughter made sure she could get all the MRV content when I finally broke down and put a TV and an HR in her room.

It's pretty sad that for the millions a month DirecTV charges for 'lease' fees they could/would have an engineering department that could avoid most of this stuff. Just not the way things are done these days - not just a DirecTV problem...
Yeah, I've been having problems with my Sammy BD players, NetFlix and Cablevision's Internet service. Not much in the way of tech support, just people trying to baffle me with BS. Gets tiresome.

Here's hoping that they fix this stupidity sooner rather than later!
I'm sure it'll be fixed. When is the question.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,659 Posts
kevinwmsn said:

old setup

new setup

You should be using the barrel connectors with the blue plastic on the ends.

Rich

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
I finally got the new HDGUI and is mostly improved somewhat. I had issues with very slow response time on the remote. This improved somewhat. I have had the new HDGUI since mid December. I recently searched for new software on 2/26/12. My HDR 23/700 came up with new software found (Ox5b8) which I downloaded. Now my remote response is very fast and very stable. I have not seen any discussion on this new software. Any comments?

Directv since early 90's

HDR 23/700
32 Sony Bravia

·
Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
fraaboak said:
I finally got the new HDGUI and is mostly improved somewhat. I had issues with very slow response time on the remote. This improved somewhat. I have had the new HDGUI since mid December. I recently searched for new software on 2/26/12. My HDR 23/700 came up with new software found (Ox5b8) which I downloaded. Now my remote response is very fast and very stable. I have not seen any discussion on this new software. Any comments?

Directv since early 90's

HDR 23/700
32 Sony Bravia
0x5b8 is a CE 'test' version not a national release. You must have updated it Friday or Saturday night and received the 'Cutting Edge' version.

Can't talk about it here...

But you can search for 'CE' sign up and post in that forum about it.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
I was bragging about how fast my HR20 was after the upgrade on page 3 of this thread, but it has since slowed to a crawl again.

Is it possible that all those "banner ads" in the guide and the "DVD box cover" pictures that appear when you select a program from the list contribute to the slowdown? I would think that they take up a good amount of memory. I wish there was a way to disable them. The banner ads are especially annoying when keying in 501 to get to the movie channels, as all the slots are filled with ads except for 501 at the bottom. But that's another topic.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
Marcus Welby said:
I was bragging about how fast my HR20 was after the upgrade on page 3 of this thread, but it has since slowed to a crawl again.

Is it possible that all those "banner ads" in the guide and the "DVD box cover" pictures that appear when you select a program from the list contribute to the slowdown? I would think that they take up a good amount of memory. I wish there was a way to disable them. The banner ads are especially annoying when keying in 501 to get to the movie channels, as all the slots are filled with ads except for 501 at the bottom. But that's another topic.
Yes, those might cause a bit of slowdown, but not to the extent of crawling.
You might try to flush the Guide: Two menu resets within 30 minutes, best done when set will be off overnight, as entire Guide needs to be rebuilt. Menu-> Settings-> Reset.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
Mike Greer said:
That's great news - if it stays.... My receivers will work pretty well for 3 or 4 days after a restart but then slow back down....
Mike,

I think you jinxed me, it took about 5 days for it start to act up some, always in the past it was way less than that to act up like a few hours. Oh well, time to think up another thing to try.

·
Legend
173 Posts
My HR 20-100 is still double pig-dog slow :(. I thought it was my external drive so I disconnected it and went back to the stock internal. After 2 days, slogged back down to a crawl.

I think I'll upgrade to an HR 34 and Whole Home when the bugs get ironed out of the 34...I can keep this HR 20 on another TV and serve the recordings from it until they're gone, then decomission it.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Came to see all the happy people posting how it was fixed with the latest update. No posts?>> odd. It seems to have been fixed in a big way now. The list is around 1 sec now and the delete is snappy fast too! YAY!!! What a difference 10 secs make.. ha.

The only bug now is the GUI is washed out until you start a show and then it goes back to the deep blacks and is fine after that. Odd bug, but no where as annoying as the slow response we had to endure the last month or so.

·
1 Posts
I have an HR20 and an HR22, each with a 2TB esata drive at about 20% free capacity. The software update early in 2012 made each dvr suddenly very slow. The HR20 took about 25 seconds to bring up the playlist. The HR22 took nearly a minute.
I am happy to report that the HR20 updated to software version 0x5c8 on 4/25/2012 and it seem to be back to it's former glory taking two seconds to display the playlist.
The HR22 has not yet updated and takes about 25 seconds to bring up the playlist (after I pruned the playlist to about 44% free). I called customer service yesterday to see if there was a way to force an update and I was told there was not and there was not a software release for the HR22 available since the 2/8/2012 0x59e version.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
They are correct in one way and wrong in another. It is possible to force a download, but it doesn't do any good if the software isnt in the stream and available to you. If a force worked, then it would happen on its own soon anyway.

The update that hit the HR20 has also been released for the HR22.

·
Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Jon J said:
Just watched a recorded Frontline and the HR20 froze when I chose to delete it. An RBR was the only solution. :mad:
Did you send a Report and post the issue and Report number?

It's very important that this happens. Otherwise, DIRECTV doesn't know someone has a problem.

Mike

161 - 180 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.