DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been discussed but I just noticed the Anime Network VOD, also a bunch of Studio 4 Channels, Film Festival, and Eurocinema.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
They have been there for quite some time.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
But I think Sundance is brand new and AMC and IFC Free have only been around for a couple of weeks.

· Legend
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sports Mix on 205, not VOD but an obvious change.

· Godfather
295 Posts
Actually, yes they are. They buy content for price X and sell it for price Y. Actively pushing/asking the providers for more content is exactly what I expect them to do.

8 Posts
i was wondering, why does HD VOD cost money, if we get the channels shouldnt it be free, like NBCs 30 Rock, u have to pay for it, WHY?, i really hate to say this, because i really like DirecTV but thats where AT&T & Comcast, got it good, HD is free unless its PPV, which thats the way it should be

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
HD VOD itself doesn't cost money. Just certain HD content, like NBC's shows and PPV. There is a lot of free HD VOD content as well, most of it is on 1101 and 1267 (Smithsonian HD, if you subscribe to the HD Extra Pack).

8 Posts
well dat makes sense, IF u subscribe to the channel, which personally i wouldnt pay $5 for five HD, when you u pay $10 for 90, that makes no sense, does anyone know, if we are gona get any other HD VOD for free like Discovery channel or HBO, or something like that

· Icon
773 Posts
dplante18 said:
well dat makes sense, IF u subscribe to the channel, which personally i wouldnt pay $5 for five HD, when you u pay $10 for 90, that makes no sense, does anyone know, if we are gona get any other HD VOD for free like Discovery channel or HBO, or something like that
DOD doesnt have HBO yet. Showtime though, now has 2 episodes of Weeds in HD that i just noticed today.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
dplante18 said:
i was wondering, why does HD VOD cost money, if we get the channels shouldnt it be free, like NBCs 30 Rock, u have to pay for it, WHY?
You can get individual NBC shows on Amazon, I believe (maybe other sources as well?) and they charge for it there. Same thing applies for On Demand on DirecTV. I imagine it's NBC, not DirecTV that is setting a price for NBC's DOD content.

I'm guessing there will also be content from Discovery Channel, but I believe with HBO, Showtime, Starz and other "premium channel" services, the On Demand stuff is only available free if you are a subscriber to that service.

· Godfather
295 Posts
Jeremy W said:
That's linear channel content. Providers generally do not pay extra for VOD content. Why do you think most of it is free?
My point wasn't to suggest VOD costs D* more, it was in response to a comment re: should D* go out begging for content..." Since they are in the business of packaging content and selling it, I do believe they should increase their available content whenever possible. Charge for it, give it away free, whatever. DOD, VOD, locals, premiums, HD, sports, etc. Content is the name of the game.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
JFHughes08088 said:
Since they are in the business of packaging content and selling it, I do believe they should increase their available content whenever possible.
And I'm sure they did that for the big name stuff. But do you really think DirecTV went begging to Studio4Kids to get VOD content?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.