DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the HR20 next week as an upgrade. I've been with D* since before HD, and the down wires from the dish into the house are pretty old. Do I need new wires or are the old ones good enough. Also, if I do need new ones, what's the best response if the installer says the old ones are just fine?

David

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Greenflag said:
I'm getting the HR20 next week as an upgrade. I've been with D* since before HD, and the down wires from the dish into the house are pretty old. Do I need new wires or are the old ones good enough. Also, if I do need new ones, what's the best response if the installer says the old ones are just fine?

David
I question the truth about new vs old wires and how much they really degrade over a few years but if you feel like you need new wires, demand them.

They are going to charge D* for them anyway so they might as well do what they are going to get paid for.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
Coax can deteriorate, however the primary issue is getting moisture in one end or the other through a poor connector. In that case, cutting off a foot or so and putting on a new connector will normally correct the issue.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking the installer to run new lines and insisting that he do so.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Replacing the connectors can do a lot but if there isn't a problem there isn't much need for it.

But if he goes up the roof asking can't hurt and nether can a nice thank you.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,340 Posts
A lot of fulfillment install companies have used and continued to use coax with marginal design life, since their install is guaranteed to work for only one year.

As much as I dislike cable companies, they usually install cables with design lives of 15-25 years or more. Their outdoor cables are usually "flooded" to prevent internal corrosion.

A cable swept to 3 GHz does not mean that it will be long lasting.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. I'm not sure who installed the original wires. I think they may have been cable from a prior owner of my house. I'm going to ask for new wires. Better safe than sorry.

David

·
Legend
192 Posts
Greenflag said:
thanks guys. I'm not sure who installed the original wires. I think they may have been cable from a prior owner of my house. I'm going to ask for new wires. Better safe than sorry.

David
Check on the jacket of the cable. You'll usually see RG6 written on it (if it is RG6) and probably a frequency rating as well (e.g. 3Ghz).

I tried to get my installer to rerun the two cables that I had originally run to my dish (in addition to adding 2 more needed for the 5LNB dish) and he said there was no need to. I didn't feel like arguing at the time (and I knew the cable I had run was pretty good) so I didn't push the issue. If you really want new cables, be prepared to convince your installer he should do it.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
You have nothing to lose by having them install four new RG-6 cables.

Then you can see which sets give you the best signal strength.

Or you might end up using one for OTA, etc.

The Installation Tips has this and a lot more.

- Craig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.