• HR20-700

Votes: 82 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a presentation to do.
And we where brainstorming on a topic.... at the same time I was on the forums.. :)

So we thought it would be a good question to ask.

To "standardize" some things:

• You are staying with DirecTV for what ever reason, and don't care about the 2 year commitment
  • The systems would be at no cost to you
  • HR20 has OTA/ViiV (the latest build is pushed out)
  • HR10-250 has 6.3b and is stock (not hacked)
  • The 2007 SAT launches haven't happened yet
  • Other appropriate hardware is not an issue (multiswitches, dish, ect)

So straight up... HR20 vs HR10

If you where offered an HR20 or an HR10-250
Which would you choose?

And yes... I do know what forum this is...
I am posting this accross the three major forums.....

To get as much input as possible.

· AllStar
59 Posts
HR10 all the way! I like the UI, the reliability, and the fast forward correction.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Sorry, HR20 for me. Tivo is so 2006.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
How many here think the real theory Earl's friend is trying to test is how soon a thread like this will turn into an all-out brawl?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lamontcranston said:
How many here think the real theory Earl's friend is trying to test is how soon a thread like this will turn into an all-out brawl?
Not in the least, as I won't let it go that route.

You are a consumer... that has an opportunity to get a no-cost DVR.
Either one.... and for what ever your reason, as they are your own reasons and your right.... You chose one over the other.

I don't really need to know why...
You don't have to convince me why you are right, and someone else is wrong... doesn't matter in this case.... you are a consumer... it is your "choice", not anyone elses.

· Icon
598 Posts
As of this point, the HR10-250 because of its reliability. However, when (if) the reliability issues are solved on the HR20 I'll go that way because of some of its new features, especially the ability to connect to my network. I missed Santa and didn't get my software "gift" so I can't try out the ethernet connection or OTA yet. What bothers me, is we will have to give up many of the nice usability features of the TiVo that legal (or otherwise) issues will prevent.

· I am Iron Man!
1,672 Posts
As I recall I had this choice. I thought the HR10 was the old HD_DVR & refused to go with it because it did not record local HD channels via the Satellite or otherwise. I waited for the HD DVR that would record local HD. So with all my complaining about the HR20, I still feel it is the best option for me.

The problem is with the programing of the firmware. And we have no idea who the programmers are. I would have hoped they would be ex-ultimate TV or TIVO types. It does seem to be pretty much On The Job Training (OJT) though... I do not know how else to explain this many software updates in this short period of time - with no let up in sight.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
HR20 is my choice.

I have no need for OTA (yet). MPEG4 is my reason; including RSN's that will be spotbeamed in MPEG4; especially the YES Network (GO YANKEES). I also like the networking option.

I have a TIVO HR10 and moved it to the bedroom. Yes, it has been a reliable box; but it is time to move on. I haven't had any missed recordings; and only experienced a few minor bugs; so reliability hasn't been an issue.

· Registered
897 Posts
I would go with the HR20 simply because there is going to need to be an upgrade made to MPEG-4 at some point in the mid-term future. While the HR-10 (which I still own and use on TV #2), is a very good near-term solution, you know that you would still need to upgrade soon and why not just do one install and not have to face a future issue of having unviewed recorded shows on the then disconnected HR10 that going to the HR20 now would solve.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Ask me again after Easter. Right now I'd have to stick with a proven, reliable HR10. The future is the HR20, but the HR10 works now. (but as I type this on a plane, maybe 0X108 has fixed enough stability problems...)

cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
HR20 as is? I'd pick the TIVO machine.

HR20 with convenient, quick and easy to use DLB?

I'd choose the HR20.

In other words - If D* told me that I'd have DLB in a few months I'd choose the HR20. (And in fact did - as that is what the CSR told me in September.)

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
For me it is HR20. No doubts. If someone wants the 10, there are still stores left with them in stock and a zillion on eBay and other places. Weaknees is out of stock right now.

I do still have Tivo as backup and for additional recording capabillities.

I note initial exist polling shows 76% prefer the HR20's. I bet that percentage will rise. The 18 who have said that they prefer TiVo will be joined by another 12 but then the percentage preferring the HR20 will continue to rise.

If you truely love TiVo, the HR20 will never make you happy. It is like trying to make a Mopar guy like an F150. It will never happen.

- Craig

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.