Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
As stated in the subject. I am new to DVR's.
I went and picked up the R15 to replace the receiver in the LR. Man o Man, I wish I would have found this forum before I went and bought it.:nono2:

I have searched the forum and seen things that happen to me.
I did have to do one thing though. I only have one cable coming to the receiver. I know Nomally you would run a multi switch and run the cables from the LNB TOO the switch and then out. However, this receiver is across the house so I tried a multi switch @ the TV and out to the 1 & 2 inputs. I have signal to both this way.

Questions:
I look at Menu,settings,setup & info&test. It reads Manufacturer:500, Model:R15
Does this mean it is R15-500 as I see people listing a number AFTER their R15.
This morning I have done a software upgrade twice. It says Origanal vers:0x10c8
Past ugrade 0x10e8,12/24/2006, Future upgrade - Not scheduled. Does this mean it hasnt taken upgrades the 2 times this morning? It goes from 0 to 100% each time. Just trying to get the newest loaded.

I have seen some problems as posted. Like this morning I got up and turned the TV on (Receiver stays on) and it said searching for signal yet the channel was on. Then all the sudden the screen saver came on.

BOY do I wish this thing had the autotune feture as I use that ALL the time on the old receivers.

Any advice and imput for a newbie to DVR would be grateful.

I wish all of you a Hapy Holiday season and thanks for being here.

Don

·
Icon
895 Posts
Yes, you do hae an R15-500 and you may not get the latest until they give it to you :(.

But only non-DVR receivers ever had autotune. You kind of don't need to have autotune with a DVR. Just record it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
donscomp said:
I have searched the forum and seen things that happen to me. I did have to do one thing though. I only have one cable coming to the receiver. I know Nomally you would run a multi switch and run the cables from the LNB TOO the switch and then out. However, this receiver is across the house so I tried a multi switch @ the TV and out to the 1 & 2 inputs. I have signal to both this way.

I have seen some problems as posted. Like this morning I got up and turned the TV on (Receiver stays on) and it said searching for signal yet the channel was on. Then all the sudden the screen saver came on.
Your searching for satellite on tuner 2 problem is because you wired your multi-switch up improperly, not the fault of the R15. You CAN NOT use a multi-switch to split one cable into two. It will not work properly that way.

MERRY CHRISTMAS,
JJ

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st off. I never said that that was the fault of the receiver. :) And when I seen the searching (1 & 2 veries.) I was thinking that it HAS to be what I did.
Just thought I would post what I have done. VIA the advice of the DTV 2nd level tech. I might add. LOL Whats that say. Although I CAN record and watch.
So one would have to run from the LNB to muti swich. Then 2 cables TO the LR where the receiver is?

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
"Give it to me" - software upgrades are sent out by satellite automatically. When it is scheduled for your location, you will get it automatically and don't have to take any action to get it. Sometimes it is possible to force an upgrade sooner, but often all that does is get you the same version you already had, as you've discovered.

Multiswitches - If you use a multiswitch, you have to connect ALL lines from the dish to the inputs of the multiswitch (either 2 or 4 depending on type of dish). Then you run lines from the output of the multiswitch to each receiver and tuner that you have. If you have a 4 output dish, and fewer than 4 total receiver/tuner hookups, you don't need to use a multiswitch (in most cases).

Merry Christmas

Carl

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,
Guess I will have to have DTV come out and run a cable. However. I have a signal on BOTH imputs and am recording one program while watching another now. How is that possible with using the multi switch at the back of TV?
Thanks again all for the replies.

Don

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
donscomp said:
Thanks,
Guess I will have to have DTV come out and run a cable. However. I have a signal on BOTH imputs and am recording one program while watching another now. How is that possible with using the multi switch at the back of TV?
Thanks again all for the replies.

Don
the way you improperly wired it yes both lines will see signal but you will have either odd or even transponders....so you will be missing half the channels on both tuners...the dvr sends voltage to either tuner depending on which channel it wishes to tune...it will send 18v if it needs an even transponder and 13v if it needs a odd transponder...look at the multiswitch on the back of your receiver....notice it has two satellite inputs one for 13v and one for 18v depending on how you hooked it up you are only seeing one and not the other...

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I thought. But why would the test channels show (One odd One even) @ 18 and one at 13. Wouldnt THEY show not both if I am plugged in to just the one side?
Thanks
Don

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
donscomp said:
1st off. I never said that that was the fault of the receiver. :) And when I seen the searching (1 & 2 veries.) I was thinking that it HAS to be what I did.
Just thought I would post what I have done. VIA the advice of the DTV 2nd level tech. I might add. LOL Whats that say. Although I CAN record and watch.
So one would have to run from the LNB to muti swich. Then 2 cables TO the LR where the receiver is?
My bad. You posted that you wish you would have found this forum before you purchased your R15 as if you are not satisfied with the DVR. Then you went on to say that you were having the same problems as some with (your example) your DVR showing searching for satellite on tuner #2 (as you were watching tuner 1). So I was just letting you know that the trouble you are having is a wiring issue and not a problem with the R15.

Sorry I misunderstood.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No my friend. Probley the way I am posting. I thank you all all for your help. Right now I am pretty confused. I know that the multi switch shouldnt be where it is at. Yet it seems to work. I gave some more info above as it SEEMS that the od and even are there. However this morning it gave me the message serching for sat. for a few.

Don

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
No problem. It will show signal on odds and evens for both inputs. However, it still won't work properly. Both the 13 and the 18 volts can't travel through a single line at the same time. So if you are watching a channel where the dvr is sending 18 volts to the lnb, and your input #2 for the dvr needs to record a channel that uses the 13 volt, then you will get the searching for sat message.

When the multiswitch is connected properly, it keeps one input as the 13 volt input and one as 18 volts. Then it switches the output line to the correct voltage input get the channel.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NOW THAT makes sense to me. Guess since it is a free install. I'll give DTV a call. At least I recorded a show I wanted to watch while the 1st football game was on today.
Thanks for explaining it a little clearer to me JJ.
Very grateful
Don

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
But only non-DVR receivers ever had autotune. You kind of don't need to have autotune with a DVR. Just record it.
Not true. The UTV had autotune and I still miss it for somethings. Most of the time a recording or a SL works but it's nice to have it in others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.