DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want to dump my TW cable provider and am considering the current Dish package. TW is scroooing the pooch, (and me along with it), and has changed a good part of the programming I had previously.

I have one TV (A) with digital inputs and one without (B) downstairs, they are occasionally used at the same time tuned to different channels. There is a third TV (C)upstairs which is used mostly for early AM or late night news and never at the same time as the downstairs TVs.

Here is what the folks at Dish propose.

VIP622 Receiver with one output split going to the upstairs TV {C}.
HD Silver package
$250 Up Front ($50 credited to my account on first months bill)
$50.97 Monthly (first ten months)
$70.97 Monthly (commencing Dec. 2007)

OTA HD antenna (for local HD programming) Additional charge TBD by installer

OK, does this sound like the right stuff to get? Is it a good deal? Do I need to ask anything else? :confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
What you outlined is the regular offer. With some searching, you might find an Internet dealer that would add some "gift" but the numbers would likely be same. DISH doesn't have better "unlisted" offers.

If you know someone that already subscribes to DISH, they can provide you with a ClubDISH number that would knock $50 off the initial $250 you posted. $200 is the 622 lease upgrade and $50 is the activation fee. ClubDISH eliminates the activation fee (but you still get the $50 credit).

You'll actually pay the 70.97 for the first month or two. The Rebate paperwork requires you to mail in a copy of your 1st bill and wait for the $20 credits to start appearing.

You will need a land line phone connection where the 622 is located - they add a $5/month fee if not connected to a phone line.

Can't help much with the OTA part, but having an OTA antenna is a BIG asset since it allows recording from a 3rd tuner. Visit http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see what kind of antenna they suggest for your location, if the stations are in the same direction, ... "SoCal" covers a pretty wide range of antenna needs!

And :welcome_s to DBSTalk

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the scoop. There is always more to the story than you get from the CSR, although the gal from Dish was very helpful.

I've been looking at the OTA antenna as an add on for a while as well. The question is going to be how well the homeowners busybodies will take a new dish and an antenna. :eek2: They stroke out if a neighbor paints his garden gate the wrong shade of green. :eek2:

Again, thanks; I'm sure there will be more questions after I get started.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
The homeowners can't prevent you from adding dishes less than one meter in diameter, nor any over-the-air antenna necessary to receive the signals you want. All they can do is make you put them in an unobtrusive spot if feasible.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
CAHardball said:
Really want to dump my TW cable provider and am considering the current Dish package. TW is scroooing the pooch, (and me along with it), and has changed a good part of the programming I had previously.

I have one TV (A) with digital inputs and one without (B) downstairs, they are occasionally used at the same time tuned to different channels. There is a third TV (C)upstairs which is used mostly for early AM or late night news and never at the same time as the downstairs TVs.

Here is what the folks at Dish propose.

VIP622 Receiver with one output split going to the upstairs TV {C}.
HD Silver package
$250 Up Front ($50 credited to my account on first months bill)
$50.97 Monthly (first ten months)
$70.97 Monthly (commencing Dec. 2007)

OTA HD antenna (for local HD programming) Additional charge TBD by installer

OK, does this sound like the right stuff to get? Is it a good deal? Do I need to ask anything else? :confused:
What are you going to use on TV (B)? I see a 622 on a & c.

·
Legend
115 Posts
CAHardball said:
Thanks for the welcome and the scoop. There is always more to the story than you get from the CSR, although the gal from Dish was very helpful.

I've been looking at the OTA antenna as an add on for a while as well. The question is going to be how well the homeowners busybodies will take a new dish and an antenna. :eek2: They stroke out if a neighbor paints his garden gate the wrong shade of green. :eek2:

Again, thanks; I'm sure there will be more questions after I get started.
One thing you can consider, as i will be looking into this soon, is I've seen around where some people mount their OTA in their attic! I've seen some that are literally just laying on the floor of the attic and one i saw a picture of had their antenna hanging from wires from the beams in the attic. That way you don't have an antenna outside your house!

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, great board here.

FTA Michael
“All they can do is make you put them in an unobtrusive spot if feasible.”

My HOA is full of busybodies who cruise the neighborhoods ensuring that all of the door locks are the same brand and stuff like that. :scratch:
I put up an antenna for my Engenius phone about five years ago; climbed up on the roof and secured it to the back of a vent pipe on the roof away from the street. About three weeks later, I got a letter from the “Architectural Committee” asking me to meet them over a “non compliance issue”. It seems that if you stood about a half block away and climbed about 20 feet up the slope across the street, you could see the tip of the thing sticking over the roof line. I told them to sue me. :raspberry End of that story.

boba
“What are you going to use on TV (B)? I see a 622 on a & c.”

The CSR told me that there were two separate outputs on the 622 allowing me to run A & B simultaneously on different channels. One of these outputs, (she claimed), could be split allowing it to be sent to C to be viewed on the same channel as the TV it was split from.

bderouen
“I've seen around where some people mount their OTA in their attic!”

I will definitely explore this with the install guy when he comes. Terrific suggestion if it works.

FWIW, the antennaweb site I visited last month showed nine or ten OTA signals available to me with a medium directional antenna, three with no preamp, all basically due West and less than 20 miles from my address. There are another five in the Inland Empire the other way, roughly East by NE, 18 to 80 miles distant.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
Sorry I didn't post the FCC Over-the-Air Reception Devices link earlier: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

If you enjoy telling the HOA people to go spit, this is an excellent opportunity. They can always write and threaten and stuff, but you can print out the appropriate info from the feds and let them know that if they spend money to go after you, they will lose.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
CAHardball said:
Thanks for the feedback guys, great board here.

FTA Michael
"All they can do is make you put them in an unobtrusive spot if feasible."

My HOA is full of busybodies who cruise the neighborhoods ensuring that all of the door locks are the same brand and stuff like that. :scratch:
I put up an antenna for my Engenius phone about five years ago; climbed up on the roof and secured it to the back of a vent pipe on the roof away from the street. About three weeks later, I got a letter from the "Architectural Committee" asking me to meet them over a "non compliance issue". It seems that if you stood about a half block away and climbed about 20 feet up the slope across the street, you could see the tip of the thing sticking over the roof line. I told them to sue me. :raspberry End of that story.

boba
"What are you going to use on TV (B)? I see a 622 on a & c."

The CSR told me that there were two separate outputs on the 622 allowing me to run A & B simultaneously on different channels. One of these outputs, (she claimed), could be split allowing it to be sent to C to be viewed on the same channel as the TV it was split from.

bderouen
"I've seen around where some people mount their OTA in their attic!"

I will definitely explore this with the install guy when he comes. Terrific suggestion if it works.

FWIW, the antennaweb site I visited last month showed nine or ten OTA signals available to me with a medium directional antenna, three with no preamp, all basically due West and less than 20 miles from my address. There are another five in the Inland Empire the other way, roughly East by NE, 18 to 80 miles distant.
Are you East of Mt Wilson just inside the Inland Empire or are you inside the LA basin? If you are E of the mts then the Ones in the Inland will be available to you within about 50 m. Those that are 80 m will not be strong enuff for you to pick up. Anything over about 50 miles take a very large antenna usually tower mounted. It is possible to get the LA channels in the Inland Empire because Mt Wilson is tall enuff that it carries into it. But my guess the 80 mile stations are San Bernardino and not going to make it to you. Sounds a bit like you may be in the Heights.

·
Icon
522 Posts
If you are planning on recording OTA locals, I'd double check that the TV Guide includes your locals, so that you can record them by highlighting them in the TV Guide.

An antenna in you attic will be more prone to multi path signals, ghosting. I don't know how good the OTA 622 receiver is, how good it does with multi path?

Bob

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.