DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first ever Dish installation this weekend - four room, two receiver, one HD-DVR, the other regular SD. Apart from the fact that the dish is misaligned (I can't get sat 129 or 61.5 for the HD channels grrr) so far I like it.

Anyway, a friend gave me his TV44 OTA for the local channels and when I asked the installer about it he said it couldn't be used with our set up as there were no spare outputs on the dish. Reading the manual it seems like this is wrong as there are splitters/duplexors etc in the kit, but before I go dismantling things to install it I thought I would ask if he is correct.

Seems like a lot of people here think the TV44 is rubbish so I wonder if I should even bother trying. But according to AntennaWeb I am only 42 miles from the nearest transmitter (at an angle of 62 deg) so maybe I am close enough that it would work?

Thanks in advance for any reply, and thanks also to the board administrators and contributors for having such great information so readily available.

Cheers

Paul

· AllStar
50 Posts
I tried the clip on Terk when I first got dish and it was of not worth the time to install or the money. Others here can say how well you can or cannot connect, but from what I gather it is a very real possibility. To connect a quality antenna and get great reception. I am glad that I got locals on Dish :).

· Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
I use the terk 44 clip on and my parents use the terk 42 for their ota stations. We are about 35 miles from the broadcast antennas. We get all our ota stations in both hd and sd and I use the antenna for my fm antenna for my A/v receiver as well. IT works very very well in our situations. It is easy to install and no rabbit ears . IF you live to far out then I can't guarantee how it works. I think it works fine for anyone within 30- 40 miles out from the broadcast antennas. I would try it and see how it works for your situation. You can always take it back if it doesn't work.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
tangodancer said:
Got my first ever Dish installation this weekend - four room, two receiver, one HD-DVR, the other regular SD. Apart from the fact that the dish is misaligned (I can't get sat 129 or 61.5 for the HD channels grrr) so far I like it.

Anyway, a friend gave me his TV44 OTA for the local channels and when I asked the installer about it he said it couldn't be used with our set up as there were no spare outputs on the dish. Reading the manual it seems like this is wrong as there are splitters/duplexors etc in the kit, but before I go dismantling things to install it I thought I would ask if he is correct.

Seems like a lot of people here think the TV44 is rubbish so I wonder if I should even bother trying. But according to AntennaWeb I am only 42 miles from the nearest transmitter (at an angle of 62 deg) so maybe I am close enough that it would work?

Thanks in advance for any reply, and thanks also to the board administrators and contributors for having such great information so readily available.

Cheers

Paul
Does your satellite dish point in the direction of the broadcast tower, at 62 degrees I doubt it? At 42 miles to your nearest broadcaster you are asking a lot from a pair of rabbit ears that aren't movable. How level is the land between you and the tower?

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I'm definitely not going to try the clip-on antenna. I have zero skill in this area so will probably just have to go without or find someone in the area to pay to do it.

Thanks for all your input.

· Legend
119 Posts
Get a DB4 from Antennas Direct and and an Amplifier if you need one. I get out 50-60 miles with mine. Hook it to you ASTC tuner on the back your HD DVR or HD TV the add the channel after you scan for them in the set up of your reciever. I have my DB4 mounted on a 3 foot mast and it sits on a chair in the attic. Very simple to install.

· Legend
115 Posts
tangodancer said:
Ok, so I'm definitely not going to try the clip-on antenna. I have zero skill in this area so will probably just have to go without or find someone in the area to pay to do it.

Thanks for all your input.
I just went through looking for someoen to put up an OTA for me too. What I wound up doing was calling one of the local retailers and told them what I wanted. They let me speak to their actual installer, who said he does OTA installs too. He's coming out Tuesday of next week.

So that may give you a place to start.

· Mentor
40 Posts
Mike D-CO5 said:
I use the terk 44 clip on and my parents use the terk 42 for their ota stations. We are about 35 miles from the broadcast antennas. We get all our ota stations in both hd and sd and I use the antenna for my fm antenna for my A/v receiver as well. IT works very very well in our situations. It is easy to install and no rabbit ears . IF you live to far out then I can't guarantee how it works. I think it works fine for anyone within 30- 40 miles out from the broadcast antennas. I would try it and see how it works for your situation. You can always take it back if it doesn't work.
I just put in a TV44 on my room with my Dish, and finished the install in my house, and can't pick up anything, but I can use a DB2 inside my house and pick up every local channel (with some occasional dropouts). Any idea where I went wrong?

I'm using the ViP622. I put the TV44 on the dish and ran the 4 coaxial cables through the antenna. Inside, I connected the splitter to the cable coming out of the wall, and then it split out to the home distribution system/splitter for Sat1 and Sat2 and the Antenna In on the 622.

And for those that use an outdoor antenna (someone mentioned in another thread that they attached one to their Dish mount), how do you get the signal inside? How does your splitter attach, etc?

Thanks in advance!

· Legend
106 Posts
I just put in a TV44 on my room with my Dish, and finished the install in my house, and can't pick up anything, but I can use a DB2 inside my house and pick up every local channel (with some occasional dropouts). Any idea where I went wrong?
You used the Terk !!! :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
tcooper185 said:

I'm using the ViP622. I put the TV44 on the dish and ran the 4 coaxial cables through the antenna. Inside, I connected the splitter to the cable coming out of the wall, and then it split out to the home distribution system/splitter for Sat1 and Sat2 and the Antenna In on the 622.

And for those that use an outdoor antenna (someone mentioned in another thread that they attached one to their Dish mount), how do you get the signal inside? How does your splitter attach, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Did you run the black cables that came with the Terk 44 from the lnb to the INPORT of the terk ? Then run the existing cables that were there from the lnb before, to the OUTPORT OF the terk 44 next to the same port you used for the inport. They have to be run and used in conjunction. Are you using a dishpro plus twin lnb? I use this setup.

From the coax leading into the house I use the diplexor that came with the terk 44. Run the single coax into the single port of the diplexor that says tv/sat. Then run a white coax that they supplied to you with the terk 44 and run one side to the tv antenna port of the 622 dvr and from the Sat side run the white coax to the dispro plus seperator that came with the 622, and split it into two cables for the 622 satellite ports.

YOu can not use a splitter unless you are splitting the ota side into multiple coaxes for other devices like you tv, vcr, dvd recorder as well as the 622 antenna port.

I did this on both of my 622s in two different rooms using only two coaxes leading into the house. It works great for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.