Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have been browsing here a few days looking at everything and I must say I am getting worried.
I called direct tv last weekend and asked for a install. we were with them years ago but went to cable when they had the buyout program and free service for a year.
well I got me a new hdtv its a samsung 42 inch 1080i dlp. anyway the cable company just isnt getting it anymore and direct tv made me a heck of a offer to come back Igot the 4 rooms installed and the hdtv package with the sports pack and total choice. they threw in a bunch of free programming for a few months for comming back to them also. I didnt ask but they offered.
anyway I did not get the dvr just the regular receiver I assume it is the h20 not sure though but I see it is the most current. anyway after seeing all the trouble everyone has been having with poor channels and bad boxes faulty software etc.
it is really making me wander if I made the right choice. I almost went dish network but I felt direct offerd more in programming suited to my needs. but I really dont want to have problems all the time.
I guess my question is what should I expect I will be hooking this to my jvc home theater also. will the hdmi connection work? is there any hickups in the h20 software? is the sd picturs really bad or is it just faulty setups? what should I make sure the tech does when he does the install? do any of you have any other things I should be aware of I have till next fri to cancel they are supposed to install on sat. the 30th. please reassure me I did the right thing!
thanks SORRY SO LONG
Shawn

·
Icon
685 Posts
I am not an expert but I will try and help. I have the HD DVR for both Directv and Dish. They are both having some problems. Price wise they are similar $200 each for new customers. For HD programming Dish has more channels and Directv has all the NFL games. That is the main difference.

The HDMI port on dish is turned off right now and they are having intermittent audio chopiness. The HDMI port on the Directv HD dvr is working now but the box is freezing up sometimes and requires a reset. The dish box has a better commercial skip button. The video quality seems similar on both systems. Directv may have more problems with wind and rain than Dish (I live in a nice weather area). Directv allows the leasing of more boxes than Dish. What exactly is your programming need?

·
Godfather
432 Posts
kikkenit2 said:
I am not an expert but I will try and help. I have the HD DVR for both Directv and Dish. They are both having some problems. Price wise they are similar $200 each for new customers. For HD programming Dish has more channels and Directv has all the NFL games. That is the main difference.

The HDMI port on dish is turned off right now and they are having intermittent audio chopiness. The HDMI port on the Directv HD dvr is working now but the box is freezing up sometimes and requires a reset. The dish box has a better commercial skip button. The video quality seems similar on both systems. Directv may have more problems with wind and rain than Dish (I live in a nice weather area). Directv allows the leasing of more boxes than Dish. What exactly is your programming need?
Welcome to the forum and back to D*. I've been with D* for about 8 months now and have had the H20 from the beginning. I've had no problems with it at all. Th R15 is another story.

I left E* in April after 8 years and haven't regretted it at all. You'll probably be happy with your H20.

Good luck

·
2 Posts
I had no problems with H20 set-ups, only the HD DVRs (HR20-700S).
Only problems are with line of sight in wooded areas.
HD DVRs fail about 30% of the time and waste a good hour or more with tech help on the phone.
I think they released this box too early and is very slow to set-up.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Dexterous said:
I had no problems with H20 set-ups, only the HD DVRs (HR20-700S).
Only problems are with line of sight in wooded areas.
HD DVRs fail about 30% of the time and waste a good hour or more with tech help on the phone.
I think they released this box too early and is very slow to set-up.
Welcome back to D*. I think you will be happy they are constantly working on the issues and when they get them worked out release updated software to correct problems. As with any new technology you get you will get glitches but there working on them. I think you will find the customer service is better than E*. Always remember you don't always here the good things just the negative on these type of forums as well. I think you will like the H20.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Welcome Shawn!

As far as the H20 goes, the only complaints I've heard of are regarding the active channels IIRC. Or lack of them. I could be mistaken but for some reason I recall the H20 has active channel problems. BTW, I don't have a H20.

If you get into the DVR world, hey, that's a different story. Read through the threads here for yourself and chime in to ask questions.

Installers? Well, that's yet another story. Some are great, some are OK, some are crap. HDMI should work, if not, keep asking for it to be fixed. Don't let anything go. Bottom line is if you think an installer is giving you a line of huey....they probably are.

Good luck and keep us posted as your progress.

·
Godfather
418 Posts
Hey Wolffpack!

I love you custom user title!

I have two boys and I tell my wife that I AM the dad from that movie!

It doesn't hurt that Darren McGavin has been one of my favorites since I was little watching the Night Stalker series!

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
My way of getting into the holiday spirit.

"Fa ra ra ra raaa, ra ra ra ra."

·
Icon
965 Posts
A Christmas Story has been a favorite of our family for years. My daughter even named her dog after Ralphie. We generally watch it at least once each holiday season, sometimes more thanks to TNT. I suppose this might be the first year we watch it in HD on TNT(or should I say HD lite, according to some)

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Do not be afraid...Directv will in most cases get it right, or make it right.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
My kids got me the DVD a few years back. We have it on while decorating the tree. Get's kind of annoying when we're all quoting the movie as it's playing. But then again having your annoying family around is what the holidays are all about.

"Sons of *****es.....Bumpuses!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.