DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have 2 H20's.

Thinking about getting the HR21. My question is about installation.

I have no interest whatsoever in hooking up a second TV to the DVR. I only have one line coming in to the living room.

If I dont have 2 lines to the dvr.....can I still record on the second tuner and watch something else on the first tuner even tho I only have one line hooked to the DVR?

Im thinking I will be stuck watching what Im recording until its done since I will only have one line coming to it....this true?

I live in a Condo....apparently the neighbors decided to switch to DTV. Looking downstairs DTV installed a Zinwell 6x8 switch. I have 2 of the lines while they have 3 of the lines. Not sure if this changes anything, just giving more info.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
broke said:
Currently have 2 H20's.

Thinking about getting the HR21. My question is about installation.

I have no interest whatsoever in hooking up a second TV to the DVR. I only have one line coming in to the living room.

If I dont have 2 lines to the dvr.....can I still record on the second tuner and watch something else on the first tuner even tho I only have one line hooked to the DVR?

Im thinking I will be stuck watching what Im recording until its done since I will only have one line coming to it....this true?

I live in a Condo....apparently the neighbors decided to switch to DTV. Looking downstairs DTV installed a Zinwell 6x8 switch. I have 2 of the lines while they have 3 of the lines. Not sure if this changes anything, just giving more info.
one line in = only one tuner active, so only watch what is recording.
Now if you have the Zinwell WB68, it sounds like "your neighbors" have the new type [H/HR-20/21] receivers. If you were to change the Zinwell with a SWM8, then a single wire would work for both tuners. This is like a $300 upgrade, so I'd be looking for "help" from your neighbors for it, but "you're getting short changed".
A SWM8 can run up to eight tuners, so your neighbors could have four and you could have four [or two DVRs, or a DVR and two non DVRs each].

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
it sounds like you and your neighbor are sharing a dish? A 6x8 switch should have a total of 8 outputs so if you are using 2 and they are using 3 that is only 5 total and should leave 3 more available. If you are looking to avoid having to run 2 lines to the receiver a SWM is the only option.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
broke said:
Now to see how stingy DTV is with these things. I see they go for $200 on Ebay. Anyone gotten one for free from Directv?
Aside from people who got them for field trials, DirecTV doesn't use external SWMs for residential accounts at all. They are being used for MDU (large apartment complex installations) only at this point.

The residential SWM solution is the SWM integrated into the LNB of the dish, but these are only for use on new accounts, and only those with a specified configuration.

So, if you want a standalone SWM, you'll have to buy it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.