DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting upgraded to a new 5LNB dish next week. This install will have one HD DVR and one standard HD (non DVR) receiver. I will upgrade one additional location to an HD DVR later for sure. I have a few newbie questions to hopefully maximize my install experience.

1. How can I quickly ensure that I receive programming from all five satellites? Are there 5 channels from the 5 unique sats that I can check quickly on the fly?

(5 years ago when I got my original DirecTV dish installed, the installer left my house very quickly and I quickly discovered that I wasn't getting all of my channels. I got the same installer to come back out to my house and he "assumed" I didn't want or need programming from the Spanish or Religious channels. I want to avoid that situation for this install!)

2. How can I ensure that all five LNB's are aligned properly for all five sats?

(I currenly have signal loss problems during rain storms. All DirecTV programming goes out during moderate or heavy rain.)

3. How can I make sure this install is forward compatible with a future, additional HD DVR's?

I'm talking about multi-switch and cabling issues. Are there technical limitations I should be worried about if I want to have a total of 3 HD DVR's working off this 5LNB dish in the immediate future?

4. Will the installer place new coax to the locations? Or will they want to use the existing stuff? I'm not sure what exactly I have installed now, but is there any advantage trying to get new coax runs?

5. Are there any other questions I should ask before allowing the installer to start his work on Game Day? Anything else I should be concerned about? :)

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
sonnylax said:
1. How can I quickly ensure that I receive programming from all five satellites? Are there 5 channels from the 5 unique sats that I can check quickly on the fly?
Check channels 480 through 500. There are several test channels there. In 490s are for 101,110 and 119. 480s will be for 99 and 103.

sonnylax said:
2. How can I ensure that all five LNB's are aligned properly for all five sats?
Make sure that signals for 99c and 103c are 85-90+ The other sats will be good if you get those values.

sonnylax said:
3. How can I make sure this install is forward compatible with a future, additional HD DVR's?
I'm talking about multi-switch and cabling issues. Are there technical limitations I should be worried about if I want to have a total of 3 HD DVR's working off this 5LNB dish in the immediate future?
Make sure the tech runs 4 wires down from the ODU to the ground/demarc location. That way future techs can add the switch at that location.

sonnylax said:
4. Will the installer place new coax to the locations? Or will they want to use the existing stuff? I'm not sure what exactly I have installed now, but is there any advantage trying to get new coax runs?
If the cable is in good condition and up to spec he can use it. If you want to have it replaced you'll have to be perisistent.

sonnylax said:
5. Are there any other questions I should ask before allowing the installer to start his work on Game Day? Anything else I should be concerned about? :)
Make sure the installation is grounded, two monopoles [ braces ] are used to mount the dish, holes are sealed and signal is adequate. Be involved but not condecending. And 'convincing' a tech is never a bad idea if you want to go beyond the standard install.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
sonnylax said:
I'm getting upgraded to a new 5LNB dish next week. This install will have one HD DVR and one standard HD (non DVR) receiver. I will upgrade one additional location to an HD DVR later for sure. I have a few newbie questions to hopefully maximize my install experience.

[3. How can I make sure this install is forward compatible with a future, additional HD DVR's?

Since you are a current customer, assuming you now have a receiver(s)have the tech "relocate" your existing equipment which ensures he will install all the necessary cables. You can deactivate them later. Most techs will not install based on your future needs. Ensure he uses a "WB68" multi-switch and not reuse one you may have now.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the excellent tips!

Make sure the installation is grounded, two monopoles [ braces ] are used to mount the dish, holes are sealed and signal is adequate.
Make sure the tech runs 4 wires down from the ODU to the ground/demarc location. That way future techs can add the switch at that location.
Hopefully, this installer will be willing to install 4 coax's. It appears I won't qualify for one of the new Multi-Switches next week because I don't have enough total tuners.

This install will have one HD receiver (1 tuner) and one HD DVR (2 tuners) for 3 total tuners at this time. I will have a 2nd HD DVR coming in about a week or two for 2 additional tuners.

Reading some of the other threads - I assume that at the moment the DirecTV installers take the position that it is cheaper to run extra coax to feed a HD DVR location instead of installing a Multi-Switch which could run on just one coax feed?

Assuming that logic is true - My only options are to let the installer run another coax feed on my "free" install date OR buy the new multi-switch myself and have it ready for the installer?

davring said:
Since you are a current customer, assuming you now have a receiver(s)have the tech "relocate" your existing equipment which ensures he will install all the necessary cables. You can deactivate them later. Most techs will not install based on your future needs. Ensure he uses a "WB68" multi-switch and not reuse one you may have now.
Regarding relocating existing equipment - I'm not sure I follow you here davring.

Silly question - If I get one of the new HD receivers (non DVR) and use it with a standard (non HD) television set, will I be able to watch programming in SD through this receiver & set until I can afford to upgrade that particular location to a HD set at a later date this fall? What is the difference between the H21 and the H23 receivers? I assume the H20 has an OTA receiver?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
sonnylax said:

Hopefully, this installer will be willing to install 4 coax's. It appears I won't qualify for one of the new Multi-Switches next week because I don't have enough total tuners.
To do the install up to spec he has to brinf 4 lines down

sonnylax said:
Reading some of the other threads - I assume that at the moment the DirecTV installers take the position that it is cheaper to run extra coax to feed a HD DVR location instead of installing a Multi-Switch which could run on just one coax feed?
You're misinformed on this. Only qualifying order in the roll out ares would get new SWM technology. Your order 2+1 tuners doesn't qualify for any switch, SWM or not.

sonnylax said:
Assuming that logic is true - My only options are to let the installer run another coax feed on my "free" install date OR buy the new multi-switch myself and have it ready for the installer?
I am not sure why you are not getting all your equipment at once. Upgrading just two weeks after the initial install is bound to cost you more. But if you insist on SWM you should look at DIY options.

sonnylax said:
Silly question - If I get one of the new HD receivers (non DVR) and use it with a standard (non HD) television set,
Yes, All HD boxes have a set of SD outputs.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
The H21/23 operate the same, IIRC the H23 has the BBC built in. The H21/23 will output to a SD TV just fine, as a matter of fact an HD station will look fantastic on an old CRT. The tuner can be set to accommodate a 4x3 screen.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mertzen said:
I am not sure why you are not getting all your equipment at once. Upgrading just two weeks after the initial install is bound to cost you more. But if you insist on SWM you should look at DIY options.
To make a long story short.... My original order got screwed up and only included 2 receivers (for my 3 locations). I've tried a few times to place another order, but you can't have two outstanding install dates. The system kept automatically cancelling the 2nd order as not valid.

They can't seem to amend any existing order to add a third receiver and I don't want to lose my current install date. On the 4th call to DirecTV, we finally figured this all out. So, I kept my current order/install date for 2 receivers - waiting till its all up and running AOK - and they will be back on the phone with DirecTV to get my third receiver which will come on a 2nd truck roll.

Mertzen said:
To do the install up to spec he has to brinf 4 lines down

You're misinformed on this. Only qualifying order in the roll out ares would get new SWM technology. Your order 2+1 tuners doesn't qualify for any switch, SWM or not.
And a 2+2+1 tuner order wouldn't qualify for a SWM install either, correct? So they are going to have to run a 2nd coax in a difficult location when I get my 2nd HD DVR added.

How would these four coaxs from the dish feed three locations at my house? What type of switch is involved there? Is it externally powered like the SWM?

Thanks again.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
sonnylax said:
And a 2+2+1 tuner order wouldn't qualify for a SWM install either, correct? So they are going to have to run a 2nd coax in a difficult location when I get my 2nd HD DVR added.
It might, but hard to tell. It comes down to the computer who pics the hardware. No control over that what so ever.

sonnylax said:
How would these four coaxs from the dish feed three locations at my house? What type of switch is involved there? Is it externally powered like the SWM?
Most HD setup with over 4 tuners use the zinwell WB68 passive multiswitch.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
davring said:
The H21/23 operate the same, IIRC the H23 has the BBC built in. The H21/23 will output to a SD TV just fine, as a matter of fact an HD station will look fantastic on an old CRT. The tuner can be set to accommodate a 4x3 screen.
I don't understand?!? Can you explain further?

thanks.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mertzen said:
It might, but hard to tell. It comes down to the computer who pics the hardware. No control over that what so ever.

Most HD setup with over 4 tuners use the zinwell WB68 passive multiswitch.
Would the local D* contractor in Atlanta (Mastech) be able to tell me what hardware I'm receiving if I called them ahead of time?

Do you know the current "typical" HD setup for only 3 tuners?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
davring said:
Not actually the case. The H23 does NOT contain built-in BBC, rather it has a wide band receiver that will receive the b-band dorectly without conversion.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
sonnylax said:
Would the local D* contractor in Atlanta (Mastech) be able to tell me what hardware I'm receiving if I called them ahead of time?
No, these thing come with the workorder the day /evening prior.

sonnylax said:
Do you know the current "typical" HD setup for only 3 tuners?
1 Slimline 5LNB dish.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mertzen said:
Make sure that signals for 99c and 103c are 85-90+ The other sats will be good if you get those values.
Just got it installed this afternoon.... Here is what I've got at the moment. Think I should ask them to come back out to re-align?

14 total at 99c as follows:
1-8: 82 80 81 82 78 77 80 80
9-16: 80 79 84 84 88 86 NA NA
17-24: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
25-32: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

14 total at 103c as follows:
1-8: 85 76 82 72 82 74 80 73
9-16: 83 75 79 76 83 79 NA NA
17-24: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
25-32: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.