Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

My wife and I have been watching on a 20+ year old TV on standard def cable until we recently decided to go completely HD. We will be setting up a Panny plasma in the bedroom, and a Sony SXRD in the living room. And I've read nothing but good reviews of the Dish 622 receiver. So here is my dilemma, I'm a complete noob in the HD world.

1) Most of the HD we will be watching will be from ESPN and TNT (for me) and HGTV type of shows (for the wife), and we like to watch HBO and nature shows like Discovery or Nature. Should we just go with the platinum package or is there something more suitable and cheaper for us?

2) I know the 622 can feed 2 TVs, but only 1 of the TV can be HD. Ideally, I guess I would like to have both TV with HD, so what are my choices and what is it going to cost me? Is there a way to set it up so I can feed HD to either TVs?

3) How do I go about setting this up? Do I just call up Dish and ask them to set everything up? Do they charge for installation like running wires to both TV? I know I want the 622 so we can record HD shows. Do we get the 622 for free and also the dish as well? I was thinking of just buying the 622 outright, but not sure if that is a good idea.

Thanks for the help.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
Jim,
I sent you a PM with some info :)

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. So if I buy my own 622, I obviously don't pay the 200 initial lease fee for the box and I get the $6 lease fee waived...correct? But do I have to pay for the dish and wires? And do I pay the $5 hd programming fee if I don't get the platinum package?

I'm looking at the packages, and I usually don't even watch all those SD channels. So Bronze is probably good enough for me, maybe with the HBO HD added on. Although NG would probably be killer in HD...what's the response to NG...must be incredible if they add it to the Gold package. Do people buy the locals or use the OTA feed for HD locals? Thanks for responding to the newbie questions.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
With GoldHD and lower, there is also a $5.99 dvr fee (it is waived for PlatinumHD). A lot of people do not get ota because 1) too much work to install one, 2) cannot receive signal 3) think antenna is 'Ugly Looking.' With ota you get 1) use of all three tuners, 2 sats and 1 ota, you can record three show at once, 2) with an HD package, no additional charge for the ota. 3) you can still watch live tv in the case of a very heavy downpour when sat signal is lost for s short amount of time and 4) if you get HD locals via dish, right now the most channels you get are the four major networks (some areas get less) while ota you may get pbs, cw, mynetwork and several other independent and foriegn language channels (again, for free).

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, OTA does have its advantages! So is there a special equipment that I need to get OTA with the 622? I've been using cable tv in the past, so I don't think I have any equipment installed for OTA. I do have an old looking wire rack on the top of my roof, I assume it was used before as an antenna. Can that be used as an OTA? Or should I get an indoor OTA equipment or outdoor OTA equipment? I assume I connect the OTA antenna to the 622 directly, and from there it will feed my TV. But I can only still send HD to only 1 TV, I can't send Dish HD to the TV1 and send OTA HD to TV2. Am I right...unless I run the OTA antenna directly to TV2?

Thanks for all the great info. I think I'm beginning to understand all of this. I wish the 622 can just send 2 HD signals, and I would be in heaven.

·
Legend
127 Posts
1) If you are mostly watching ESPN, TNT, and HGTV, then Bronze would be fine. There is no difference between Bronze and Silver on an HD level, it only changes what SD channels you get. As for Gold, as you saw, you add in NG HD, and then Platinum adds a few more.

Personally I wouldn't go to Gold unless there are other SD channels you want in the gold package. While NG HD is good (and I have heard great things about it) it doesn't seem worth the extra money JUST for that channel. With the Bronze or Silver you will get HGTV, Food Network, Discovery HD, Universal HD, Equator HD etc, a lot of which have shows similar to NG TV.

2. You can set it up so it feeds two TV's with HD, but there are some caveats. Both HDMI and Component outputs of TV 1 are active at the same time, so it would be possible to run HDMI to one TV, and Component to another, if you can get the cable runs to work. Dish will not likely pay for this kind of cable run, as they only include the Coax for TV 2 (if I am not incorrect). But if you could run HDMI or COmponent to your second TV, then you could have HD on both. BUT of course they would both show the same thing at the same time all the time. You could still have your tuner two sent to TV2 via coax, and then you could switch inputs if you wanted to watch something different on the tv;s.

3. They will do the install, including coax cabling included.

As for buying the 622 vs leasing, some people will support either way. Personally I know that I will only have the 622 for around 2 years. That is the maximum I have ghad any of my previous Dish DVR's (510, 522 and now 622). If you are upgrading to Dish's new technology that often, it is much cheaper to lease. In two years the $6 a month is much less than buying.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I just realized that Fox Sports (heavy local sports watcher) will not be on the bronze package, and only on the silver package n up. I guess no bronze package for me then, those marketing gurus are sneaky. And to my amazement, the Fox Sports will not even be in HD. I guess Dish doesn't even have HD local sports. What the hell is going on? I can't believe someone at Dish Network is that oblivious to the importance of regional sports to their HD programming sales. Especially with hockey and basketball season coming upon us.

I may just buy indoor rabbit years to try to pick up the OTA locals. I'm not a big fan of climbing up the roof on a 2 story. Do those indoor antennas work?

·
Mentor
42 Posts
JimFunk said:
I may just buy indoor rabbit years to try to pick up the OTA locals. I'm not a big fan of climbing up the roof on a 2 story. Do those indoor antennas work?
They can work, depending on your location, surroundings, and building construction materials (i.e. aluminum siding is a killer for indoor antennas). I'd recommend checking your location on http://www.antennaweb.org. That will give you some idea of the type of antenna you'll need.

Another good source of information is the Local HDTV Info and Reception thread over at avsforum. People there should be able to answer any other questions you have about local HD reception.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
JimFunk said:
Wow, I just realized that Fox Sports (heavy local sports watcher) will not be on the bronze package, and only on the silver package n up. I guess no bronze package for me then, those marketing gurus are sneaky. And to my amazement, the Fox Sports will not even be in HD. I guess Dish doesn't even have HD local sports. What the hell is going on? I can't believe someone at Dish Network is that oblivious to the importance of regional sports to their HD programming sales. Especially with hockey and basketball season coming upon us.

The HD RSN sports are coming very, very, soon. Alright they said that in the chat many months ago, but they are comming. They have actually been uplinking them for all this time, but something (contracts?, money?) is delaying them being released for view.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
Jim: I may be wrong, but the regional sports networks don't all have equipment for originating programs in HD. The HD programming I've seen from Fox is all on the national network feed. That being said, you'd receive it on your local Fox outlet OTA. (In other words, via antenna).
If youj have any friends who are Dish Network subscribers with HD, check with them to see if they are receiving locals OTA, and if so, whether they have an OTA antenna mounted on their dish or separately). Also, check around for a reputable installer, preferably one that has been in business for a long time. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "gypsies" who don't do very good work.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
Cholly said:
Jim: I may be wrong, but the regional sports networks don't all have equipment for originating programs in HD. The HD programming I've seen from Fox is all on the national network feed. That being said, you'd receive it on your local Fox outlet OTA. (In other words, via antenna).
If youj have any friends who are Dish Network subscribers with HD, check with them to see if they are receiving locals OTA, and if so, whether they have an OTA antenna mounted on their dish or separately). Also, check around for a reputable installer, preferably one that has been in business for a long time. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "gypsies" who don't do very good work.
You are wrong here. RSN's (Regional Sports Networks) have HD capasities, several have had them for several years already, such as NESN and MSG among others. And they are NOT available OTA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.