DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 3lnb directv dish. im looking to upgrade to the hr20 and noticed i will need a 5lnb. was wondering if i need a whole new dish setup or if i can just swap out the 3 lnb with the new one.

thanks for any help

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Currently I am using a 3lnb with a HR20 and I get everything but HD locals (only two available). For the future I will need the 5lnb. It does require a larger diameter mount pole. I believe it is a two inch mount and the 3lnb is 1.5 inche. That and the possibility of having to move the mount location to a more stable area like from an eave to a roof top or wall stud.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,431 Posts
chuckrollz said:
i currently have a 3lnb directv dish. im looking to upgrade to the hr20 and noticed i will need a 5lnb. was wondering if i need a whole new dish setup or if i can just swap out the 3 lnb with the new one.
A complete antenna assembly required to go to the 5LNB setup. Note that if you need more than four feeds, you'll need to acquire a new multiswitch. Due to inherent weaknesses in the Ka band, a substantially larger dish is required.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Actually the larger dish is not due to "weakness of the Ka band", but rather to the fact the dish is aiming at/receiving 5 rather than 3 or 1 satellites. For all practical purposes, the amount of dish gain for any given satellite is not much different than for the old round 18" dish pointing at a single satellite.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.