DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to DirecTv (had our system installed and activated yesterday), since reading on here about sat signals and what they should be, I have become increasingly concerned that ours are not where they should be.

Here are my numbers (not sure if these are the only ones I am supposed to check)
Tuner 1 - 92
Tuner 2 - 91

Tuner 1 - 89
Tuner 2 - 89

Tuner 1 - 82
Tuner 2 - 82

99c
Tuner 1 - 73
Tuner 2 - 73

99s
Tuner 1 - Not acquired
Tuner 2 - Not acquired

103s
Tuner 1 - Not acquired
Tuner 2 - Not acquired

103c
Tuner 1 - 79
Tuner 2 - 77

The one that concerns me the most is the 99c as last night I saw the signal strength go down as low as 65 for a prolonged period of time.

For the most part the picture looks pretty good, however I did notice some significant pixelation last night (however I believe there was storm a little bit away - perhaps that affected it), but I want to make sure that I have everything where it needs to be from the start, so I dont have to call them to come out later and end of being charged for it.

Thank you in advance for any info/advice you can provide.

thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Yeah, those 99c and 103c signals need to be at least mid to high 80s. Your system is guaranteed for 90 days from activation. I'd call in and mention break-ups and pixelation. Or you could try and adjust it yourself. If you can get to the dish check if two monopoles / braces are used and if the dish is plumb and solid.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, is there anything I should be aware of when calling DirecTv to tell them about this issue, or are they pretty receptive and helpful about sending someone out to adjust the dish.

Thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
You'll hsve to tell them that you are experiencing frequent break-ups and pixelation. If you tell them your #s they will tell you they are normal values.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Most likely, a litle elevation tweaking will get all your numbers into the mid 80's (or higher).

As Mertzen said, tell the DirecTV CSR that you are getting pixelation and breakups.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Menu Button > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Satellite (& Ant) > View Signal Strength

Then navigate with the remote to the following satellites and fill in your signal strength numbers:

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)/(a))
[New national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(c)/(b))
[Most national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 0 NA NA NA NA 0 NA NA

If you've got good signals there, you're good to go on all of them 99.99% of the time.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
K4SMX said:
Menu Button > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Satellite (& Ant) > View Signal Strength

Then navigate with the remote to the following satellites and fill in your signal strength numbers:

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)/(a))
[New national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(c)/(b))
[Most national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 0 NA NA NA NA 0 NA NA

If you've got good signals there, you're good to go on all of them 99.99% of the time.
Now Stew, for data to be imperial, it must have 3 digits after the decimal point.

99.999% ;)

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I'm not that confidant there's that many good installations out there......:lol:

Among long-time DBSTalk'ers, though, it's probably "four 9's": 99.9999 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.