DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me here, I am a TIVO (HDVR2) user trying to adjust to the HR20. It appears the Series Link only records every episode of a program from the particular channel you have highlighted. Is this correct? It will not automatically record every episode from every channel that it is available on, like the TIVO does. Am I correct? Will this behavior be altered in the future?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
marty45714 said:
Bear with me here, I am a TIVO (HDVR2) user trying to adjust to the HR20. It appears the Series Link only records every episode of a program from the particular channel you have highlighted. Is this correct? It will not automatically record every episode from every channel that it is available on, like the TIVO does. Am I correct? Will this behavior be altered in the future?
Tivo Season Pass is exactly like the HR20 in this aspect. It's TiVo wishlists that will record from any channel. The HR20 has a feature autorecord that attemps to do the same but has a few bugs currently that are causing problems.

·
Icon
761 Posts
Tangentially off topic and really for the R15, but indulge me:

On the Tivo, you can set multiple SPs for a show on different channels (I have one for Columbo on A&E and another for Columbo on Hallmark, for example)
I don't know about the HR20, but this was lacking on th R15...you could only set one per show title...has this been changed?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
HR20 allows SL's on different channels.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
HR20 allows SL's on different channels.
You all have managed to extremely confuse me. Yes or no answer please: When I set up a series link, it will record the show no matter what channel it airs on.

If the answer was no, I was hoping it was yes. For example, if I want to record Frasier, which I believe is both on Lifetime and WGN, I would hope to set up one series link and it would record all of them from both channels. Wishful thinking?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
marty45714 said:
You all have managed to extremely confuse me. Yes or no answer please: When I set up a series link, it will record the show no matter what channel it airs on.

If the answer was no, I was hoping it was yes. For example, if I want to record Frasier, which I believe is both on Lifetime and WGN, I would hope to set up one series link and it would record all of them from both channels. Wishful thinking?
You can record from both channels but you need to setup a separate Series Link for each channel.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
marty45714 said:

As you've seen, the answer is no. However, there will be a feature for "auto-records" that will record "Frasier" from all channels. The Autorecord option has a few problems in relying upon the data within the HR20 at this point so tends to record things it can't...

Now taking this example futher. If you only wanted "Frasier" from Lifetime and WGN, but not from Family, as an example, you would have to use two Series Links, one for each of Lifetime and WGN.

Hope this is as clear as why we're in Iraq...
Tom

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
tibber said:
As you've seen, the answer is no. However, there will be a feature for "auto-records" that will record "Frasier" from all channels. The Autorecord option has a few problems in relying upon the data within the HR20 at this point so tends to record things it can't...

Now taking this example futher. If you only wanted "Frasier" from Lifetime and WGN, but not from Family, as an example, you would have to use two Series Links, one for each of Lifetime and WGN.

Hope this is as clear as why we're in Iraq...
Tom
Clearer as a matter of fact!!

·
Godfather
380 Posts
If I set up a Series Link for, let's say, CSI and CBS starts the show at 7:58 MST versus 8:00 in the guide, what time will the actual recording begin and end? i.e., is Series Link smart enough to start the show when the networks run it, or is it driven by the information fed to Tribune Media guide?

Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
All DVRs (HR20, R15, Tivo, etc.) start and stop recording based on the guide information. Your issue is a common complaint.

Most DVRs allow you to tell a recording (single or series) to start early and/or stop late. If you are recording a show that normally starts a minute or two early despite the guide data, then you should add a start early pad to it.

Carl

·
Icon
761 Posts
It's driven from the guide or what you manually set, of course.
It has no secret hot line to the network offices.
I wonder if the MythTV or FreeVo folks are working on software to detect ending credits or other telltale data in the blanking interval, like captioning, etc.
One could identify show start/end signatures much like anti-virus software detect viruses.

It's possible and would be a neat trick.

Networks are playing stupid games with times lately. A letter writing campaign is in order.

BTW, I don't think they are doing this to screw up timeshifters, I think they are doing it to screw up channel-changers and to try to introduce non-standard program formats, like the 5 minute show.

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
ApK said:
It's driven from the guide or what you manually set, of course.
It has no secret hot line to the network offices.
I wonder if the MythTV or FreeVo folks are working on software to detect ending credits or other telltale data in the blanking interval, like captioning, etc.
One could identify show start/end signatures much like anti-virus software detect viruses.

It's possible and would be a neat trick.

Networks are playing stupid games with times lately. A letter writing campaign is in order.

BTW, I don't think they are doing this to screw up timeshifters, I think they are doing it to screw up channel-changers and to try to introduce non-standard program formats, like the 5 minute show.
I agree with your last point. I also think they are doing this to get you to watch those last 2 or 3 commercials before show A ends or before show B begins.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.