DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am switching over from comcast and did a bundle with century link. In My typical fashion I did my research after I singed up for my install (16th March). Centurty Link is going to sene me a 150.00 gift card so I went for it.

So I wanted the whole move DVR set up and on demand. SO the guy signed me up for a HDDVR and 2 HD receivers. I looked up my invoice and the HDDVR is 199.99 which the price is waived. I now see that it appears the best receiver is the HR34. Is it to late to change my order? Also being that I only got 2 extra HD receivers can I get additional discount on the HR34?

Also any tips on what else I should ask for when I call them back? Any tips for when the install is done to make sure I don't get my house hacked to hell and a good job is done? Thank You in advance for any and all help.

PS here is my invoice.

Satellite Dish(es) Free 1 Free
HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME and CINEMAX Free for 3 Months Free 1 Free
ARS Discount Free 1 Free
Instant Rebate ($10 Credit Months 1-12) Free 1 Free
CenturyLink CRIS $5 Joint Bill Discount Free 1 Free
HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME & CINEMAX Credit Free 1 Free
Base Package 12 Month Discount $25 off per month Free 1 Free
$10 off for 12 months Advanced Receiver Free 1 Free
Bundle Discount Eligibility Free 1 Free
$10 off for 12 months Advanced Receiver Comment Free 1 Free
AdvRcvTRK Free 1 Free
HBO, STARZ!, SHOW, CINEMAX $45.00 1 $45.00
WELCOME TO DTV Free 1 Free
CHOICE ULTIMATE $74.99 1 $74.99
HD Access Free 1 Free
Advanced Receiver $20.00 1 $20.00
CLinkBndl Free 1 Free
InsRb8Trk Free 1 Free
HD DVR Receiver $199.00 1 $199.00
HD Receiver $99.00 1 $99.00
HD Receiver $99.00 1 $99.00
Hardware Instant Rebate ($199.00) 1 ($199.00)
Condition for instant rebate offer Free 1 Free
DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit Free 1 Free
Use Tax Adjustment $12.46 1 $12.46
Additional Receiver Condition Free 1 Free
CenturyLink $5 Monthly Discount Offer Free 1 Free
MRV Install Free 1 Free
HD-DVR Receiver Condition Free 1 Free
Hardware Instant Rebate ($99.00) 1 ($99.00)
Hardware Instant Rebate ($99.00) 1 ($99.00)
Additional TV Free 1 Free
Additional TV Free 1 Free
Delivery and Handling Fee $19.95
Professional Installation Free
Tax $1.86
Order Total $34.27

· Legend
136 Posts
Welcome to DBSTalk!

If the features of the Home Media Center is what you need, you would have to call the customer support to change your order prior to install.

The intro offer for qualifying customer is a $300 discount on the Home Media Center price of $399. You will have to pay $99 one time in order to have HR34 and 2 H25. Your monthly billing should not change.

It's definately worth it.

· Hall Of Fame
3,913 Posts
If your thinking that you might want the HR34, call now to change your order. They may have to cancel your current order and build a new one. Once you are installed, its much harder to get them exchange it. If you do it now, it will probably cost you $99 for the HR34 vs getting the DVR for free, but its worth it. Double the storage, double the series links, 5 recordings at once and PIP make it worth the extra $99.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The costumer service tech I spoke with this afternoon said the hr34 is not available in my area. Tacoma, WA. I don't know if she was feading me a line or not. Is it not available nation wide? Thanks so much for the advice.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Learo2000GT said:
Thanks guys. The costumer service tech I spoke with this afternoon said the hr34 is not available in my area. Tacoma, WA. I don't know if she was feading me a line or not. Is it not available nation wide? Thanks so much for the advice.
Call again! It became available for all markets on 2/9.... and just in case you get this one too... NO you do NOT need an RVU TV to purchase it ;)

Now would be the best time to do so. No changes to the length of the agreement and they just released a software patch for the receiver that should make it run nice and smooth by the time they have ya installed! Welcome to DTV!

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Installers in the Puget Sound area seem to be pretty good overall, haven't seen any complaints to speak of. Having said that, when the installer arrives make sure you walk/talk through the entire job before you let him start work, and that you are both in agreement on what is to be done and how it is to be done.

Keep in mind, with the free installation you get what you pay for. The installer is paid by the job and # of boxes set up, not by the hour. So he is motivated to work fast. If you want anything out of the ordinary, you are going to have to negotiate that with him before work starts.

Giving him unobstructed access to all the tv locations (no junk laying around, cabinets pulled out from the wall, etc.) will really help him and make the job go faster. Don't leave anything of significant value laying around obvious, and do keep an eye out while he is there. I would say that for anyone from any company anytime they are in my house, it is not directed at DirecTV installers at all.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. Getting the run around at directtv. She said nope again. She recommended I call centurylink being that is how I started the bundle. Now in hold with centurylink. This **** drives me nuts.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
My guess is to make that change you are going to have to cancel the order entirely and start over. If you decide to do that, be sure to ask for the home media center (HMC), which is the HR34.

However, you might also consider simply changing one of the two receivers to another DVR so you end up with two DVRs and one receiver. That would give you four tuners (as opposed to five), but spread between two pieces of hardware so there is no single point of failure. I don't have an HR34, just three DVRs and 2 receivers and I'm totally happy with what I have. Not sure what mix of hardware will be the most cost effective for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.