DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, this is shortspark from Texas. I have been a DTV subscriber since they went in business a dozen years or so ago. However, I am thinking of going to Dish for two reasons: they support Sirius which I much prefer over DTV's XM (plus, I can record Sirius broadcasts on the D* pvr whereas DTV prohibts recording its XM). Also, HD content on D* seems better.

My questions concern set-up mostly. I have an HD tv in both my den and bedroom and I understand the 622 vip model can be used for both tvs (although only one will be HD, the other will be SD) and give me a tivo like DVR all in one unit - with HD recording ability. The question I have concerning this is how does one person watch and control the 622 in the bedroom if the unit is in the den and I'm watching something else? And does this model actually work like my Directivo?

Where is the best place to purchase Dish service? I was thinking of going through Dish's website but are there better places? What are the best deals going on right now? Also, any idea as to cost for all this stuff? DTV use to give me boxes and things either free or at a discount although I understand they now lease their equipment. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
D* is used as an abbreviation of DirecTV and E* is uses for Echostar (DISH) which makes the first paragraph read a little odd.

The 622 comes with two remotes to operate the independent outputs TV1 (IR) and TV2 (UHF Pro). The UHF Pro will go through walls. Even if you have a VERY long distance with many walls, there are ways to get the signal to operate very remotely. In fact, you can't operate TV2 output via IR.

There are differences between the 622 and a DirecTiVo but the 622 in Single mode would be similar to your current DirecTiVo - a two tuner DVR. Dual mode lets the 622 send different content to TV1 and TV2, so they don't both have two tuners for themselves. There are also times when TV1 picks something to record and "borrows" TV2 for the recording so they can channel surf at TV1. That restricts the TV2 viewer to watching what is being recorded or something already recorded. You can also watch what TV1 is watching on the remote TVs (the 622 coax can go to multiple locations).

If the two HDTVs are close enough, you can run HDMI to one and Component to the other. They would both have to watch the same TV1 output for HD, but each TV could also pick something else from the TV2 output that is SD only.

It would cost you an extra $6/month, but you could get the 622 for the den and a 211 for the bedroom. That gets you an independent live HD receiver for the bedroom, but you could also watch the SD TV2 output in the bedroom for DVR needs. It would be your call as to how important HD is in the bedroom, and if it is helpful if you have to watch it live w/o a DVR to see it in HD.

I'll send you a PM with a URL for a ClubDISH certificate. That would save $50 up front, and still give you the $50 credit on the acount. You'll see the giver also gets $5/month so check family and friends to see if they have DISH. They could login to their account and generate a ClubDISH cert.

The current offer is $199 to upgrade to a 622 lease. Any new subscription gets a $10/month discount and any new DishHD subscription gets another $10/month. Both last 10 months and cover the upgrade $199 in the end. You also get 3 months of a premium package.

Going through a local retailer would likely cost you the same as direct through DISH. There are non-financial benefits to a local guy - service. There are some Internet sites that would do the same deal and throw in something or other, but their install & service will be the same as if you go directly with DISH (website, phone, ...).

Good luck!

·
Legend
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CABill, that is really good info. I will look for the email. And thanks for the tip on the abbreviations - now I know. I also now know how the 622 vip transmits signals to different tvs.

·
Legend
115 Posts
That was also very helpful to me too. I've been a DTV customer but am switching to Dish this week. i was very interested to hear about the HD-DVR that can support 2 TVs. I'll be interested to see if the installer is wiling to run the coax to my 2nd floor where my SD set is located The call center said they would...so we'll see. I found that all very interesting!!

Thanks again for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.