DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Sams Club had a nice PC, a HP Pavillion for $1799, here are the specs, that I remember, keep in mind the price is only $1799. 17" LCD monitor, DVD-R, it was an Athlon processer dont remember the speed though, WINXP Pro, 256MB RAM, 10/100 NIC, and the PC came with a HP multifunction printer, excluding fax, which was FREE after rebate. This was a sweet deal, only saw it once, if I had $1800 bucks on me I would have bought it right there and then :)

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
If I was getting a new PC Id probably go with what Compaq higest line is with a 2.4Ghz P4 and custom build it from there, while AMD maybe a lot cheaper and faster, Intel is all I ever used. After some terriable experiences with Dell and IBM Ill never get anything from those 2 vendors again. Although if I was getting a new PC Id most likely get a laptop, A Compaq 1800T (if thats still there best series). With the most of everything, so it would be a desktop replacement, I wouldnt care if it weighs over 10 lbs.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Just did a hypothetical custom build of a Presario 2800 laptop, P4 1.7Ghz, 768 MB DDRSDRAM, 40 gig HD, 8X DVD-ROM, 15" TFT UGXA Display, Integrated 56K v.92 PCI Modem and 10/100 NIC, JBL Pro Audio System w/Bass Reflex, WINXP Home and Corel Office 2002 all for $3,208. Thats my dream machine, although I could save $450 by downgrading to 512 MB of RAM and another $125 by going with a 30 GB HD, which is what I would probably do if I was actually going to by it.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Don't it make you crazy
Yes it does! :) When I my mom asked me what I wated for Christmas a few years ago I said a new computer, I really wanted a laptop, but speeds were only at 400Mhz while desktop speeds were about to reach 733 Mhz. I eneded up with 700Mhz P3 since if she waited for the 733 it might not have gotten delieved in time for Chirstmas. She got it custom build from Circuit City.

missed the laptop part also No, I can't even build a laptop for you, much less witht he specs I quoted for $2100
Yeah, Mark I kinda wondered about that, as I was reading through your list but the Mid Tower 400W case is what gave it away :)

While I feel there is no replacement for a top of the line desktop weather it be a HTPC, gaming machine, jukebox or digital photo/graphic center, I still would love to have a laptod so I can take it on vacations and not be confined to one area all the time. And maybe even experiement with some 802.11B wireless networking ;)

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Noflat panel, just a big clunky a 17" CRT, back when I got this machine a 15" LCD was ~$1200.

but you can use 802.11b on desktops
But the problem is I have nothing to network it with. Okay, theres my old IMB Aptiva, but that PC has so many problems and at 100Mhz I dont have the patience to deal with it anymore. I use it many as an experiment machine. I download a buch of utilities from Kazaa, burn em and test them on there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.