DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
While I like having a laptop available, I don't worry about having the latest and greatest laptop. I've got an old Toshiba Tecra that I bought used. The thing is built like a brick, and is about as heavy. The weakness is the AC adapter plugin. I had one jack burn out a while back, and even though I got it fixed, I bought another case just in case. It was getting a little tempermental again, so I thought I would see if I could fix it myself this time, since I didn't have much to lose. I think nothing of changing cards, drives, or motherboards in a desktop. I spent at least four hours on that thing and it doesn't work at all now, and I have two screws left over that I have no idea where they go. If you just want the computer you bought in the first place, consider a laptop. But if you're the type who likes to do upgrades between brand new computers, forget it. BTW, if you are looking for a computer to take to college and you really want a laptop, buy an old one. Things like that at college have a tendancy to grow legs and walk off, and its better to have that happen with a $600 clunker than that $3000 dream machine.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
Originally posted by Rick Densing

Drop $125 by going from a 40 to a 30 HD? A new 40gig HD costs about a hundred bucks.
A 40gig HD for a desktop costs a hundred bucks, but here you are talking about a laptop. Always more expesive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.