Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News Corp. 'optimistic' about Liberty, DirecTV deal

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- News Corp. (NWS) remains confident about striking a deal with Liberty Media Corp. (L) concerning News Corp.'s stake in DirecTV Group Inc. (DTV), Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin said at a UBS conference Monday.

"We have been clear about our discussions with Liberty," Chernin said at the conference, which was Webcast. "We remain optimistic about our ability to get something done."
Read More At: Market Watch

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Excellent point, Herdfan.

I have no history with TCI, but from what I've read on boards like this, it ain't good. I only hope that if Malone does choose the stock swap out, he realizes what he's getting into and what it will take to be competitive in this market. Apparently Rupert had no clue.

·
Godfather
345 Posts
If Malone takes over, I just hope he doesn't decide to rollback the HD expansion plans and launch of D10 and D11.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I would say at this point D* 10 and 11 are paid for and large deposits have been made to the launch companies. So he will own them. Whether or not he turns them on is another question. But if he didn't you would hear a large sucking sound of subs headed to E*.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
bidger said:
Excellent point, Herdfan.

I have no history with TCI, but from what I've read on boards like this, it ain't good. I only hope that if Malone does choose the stock swap out, he realizes what he's getting into and what it will take to be competitive in this market. Apparently Rupert had no clue.
I had TCI. One of the main reasons why I switched to D* almost a decade ago.

·
Godfather
345 Posts
Herdfan said:
Whether or not he turns them on is another question. But if he didn't you would hear a large sucking sound of subs headed to E*.
I'd be one of them.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Economically, there's no reason why Malone wouldnt turn the sats on. A case of some return, perhaps even a very good one, vs no return. Seems like a no-brainer for an astute businessman.

In any case, DirecTV is so much farther advanced technologically than TCI at any stage, I don't really see any parallels. Malone has managed different businesses differently.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
brewer4 said:
I had TCI. One of the main reasons why I switched to D* almost a decade ago.
Same here, back in the '97 I think. TCI wasn't providing even basic cable channels that others around us were getting and at that point had no plan to do so. My sister also worked for TCI in another town and hated every minute of it.

·
Legend
168 Posts
well, TCI stunk, luckily I never had them. But one thing would be clear. At least with Fox, it is the company we know.

although they did tank Tivo. So if Liberty did take over, then hopefully Tivo would come back as an option

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
OHH NOOOO!!!!!

TCI = Liberty??????

I got rid of TCI 10 years ago. They were HORRIBLE. I just completely canceled cable all together while living in an apartment- lived with over-the-air rather than deal with them.

This is BAD news. Someone- please tell me TCI is not equal to Liberty. Or tell me something has changed in 10 years.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Malone did run TCI years ago. But today his Liberty group runs lots of other media businesses.

In particular, Liberty owns Starz/Encore. So if you are wondering what benefits might come to D* from Liberty ownership, I'd say look for better support for Starz/Encore.

Today, D* frequently promotes Showtime and gives it away alot as compensation for problems.

If Liberty owned D*, you'd probably see them push Starz/Encore more aggressively. Also, D* would probably add Starz HD almost immediately, perhaps at the expense of Showtime HD (if they wanted to put it up right away and didn't have any other bandwidth).

Liberty might also be aggressive about reimplementing Encore HD and bringing it to D*. You might also see some Encore channels added to Total Choice Plus, similar to the way Encore channels are bundled with E* Top 180/Gold packages.

Liberty also owns a variety of web properties that might get integrated into D* programming or channels, similar to the way News Corp tried to integrate MySpace with D* programming.

I'd focus more on what Liberty is doing today with its other businesses and interests versus what Malone did years ago with TCI.

:)

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Do you know what timeframe Malone ran TCI? Late 90's? My biggest complaint with TCI back then was they were always the last of the CableCos in our general area to add more chanels.

Now a big difference between then and now was then, TCI was the only cableco we had. So they had the monopoly and played it as such. With cables and Dish there is competition.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Do you know what timeframe Malone ran TCI? Late 90's? My biggest complaint with TCI back then was they were always the last of the CableCos in our general area to add more chanels.

Now a big difference between then and now was then, TCI was the only cableco we had. So they had the monopoly and played it as such. With cables and Dish there is competition.
I believe it was late 80s to mid 90s. But as someone else suggested, it's probably best to focus more on what Liberty is doing today than how poorly they ran TCI back in the day.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
wpbond69 said:
Malone did run TCI years ago. But today his Liberty group runs lots of other media businesses.

In particular, Liberty owns Starz/Encore. So if you are wondering what benefits might come to D* from Liberty ownership, I'd say look for better support for Starz/Encore.

Today, D* frequently promotes Showtime and gives it away alot as compensation for problems.

If Liberty owned D*, you'd probably see them push Starz/Encore more aggressively. Also, D* would probably add Starz HD almost immediately, perhaps at the expense of Showtime HD (if they wanted to put it up right away and didn't have any other bandwidth).
Well, I would hope they would hold off on that until the sats are operational next year rather than squeeze another HD channel in right away.

wpbond69 said:
I'd focus more on what Liberty is doing today with its other businesses and interests versus what Malone did years ago with TCI.

:)
Thanks for filling in more of Malone's profile.

·
7 Posts
Herdfan said:
I would say at this point D* 10 and 11 are paid for and large deposits have been made to the launch companies. So he will own them. Whether or not he turns them on is another question. But if he didn't you would hear a large sucking sound of subs headed to E*.
D* could sale the sats to E*

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Yeah, D would really have "set sail" then. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.