DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 242 Posts

·
Icon
3,282 Posts
Just got an email stating ST is free this year. Got the same thing last year and never spoke with CS either.
Just got the email today too !!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been assured via a chat session with a CSR that I have been given a "Proactive Loyalty Offer" for 2021 ST Max. My new monthly bill just released today shows:

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2021 0.00

I am still somewhat skeptical though. I received ST free last year and was notified more than once that I was getting it free. No notice this year at all, but I am being told it is free.

Channel 112 also says I am "All set to enjoy 2021 NFL Sunday Ticket every Sunday". But wouldn't I get that message even if I was going to be billed for it since it was automatically added to My Programming?
So about 30 minutes after I posted my previous message, I received the email verifying that I will get it free this season. :)

·
Legend
173 Posts
I don't have an email or anything in my activity that would indicate I'm getting Sunday Ticket. I've been a customer for about 10 years. I'd hate to have to call in, but that looks like what I'm going to have to do.

Was the email from DirecTV? Or some ATT address?

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
I had ST Max free last year. My account info says nothing about ST at all. Channel 112 doesn't say I have it this year. I contacted DirecTV Twitter via messaging today about it and they offered me a $16.50 per month discount off of ST Max. I declined. Oh well.

·
Mentor
486 Posts
Tis' the season for NFL Sunday Ticket threads on the message board! Glad to see that many are being offered the package for free this season.

·
Legend
187 Posts
I just got one today, exciting as i never got one of these.

if you only open one email today… this is it.
We know you love football, and to us-football is life. That's why DIRECTV will celebrate this season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX by giving it to you, our loyal fans-at no cost.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Could this be the last free year?
Nah. They'll give it away to a bunch of folks next year too, which will be the last season on DTV's contract with the NFL. It's probably a pretty effective retention tool for those folks who care about football. I do wonder if they'll rely more heavily on free NFL ST and less on loyalty discounts to try to hold onto subs this year and next. The recent deal to spin off DTV from AT&T reportedly included AT&T paying to eliminate up to $2.5 billion in net losses from NFL ST. So maybe the new DTV company has little pressure to maximize sales of the package and can instead just give it away to everybody in a bid to keep them as customers for the next 17 months.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's probably a pretty effective retention tool for those folks who care about football. I do wonder if they'll rely more heavily on free NFL ST and less on loyalty discounts to try to hold onto subs this year and next. The recent deal to spin off DTV from AT&T reportedly included AT&T paying to eliminate up to $2.5 billion in net losses from NFL ST. So maybe the new DTV company has little pressure to maximize sales of the package and can instead just give it away to everybody in a bid to keep them as customers for the next 17 months.
While I appreciate getting NFL ST for free, it really doesn't hold as much interest for me as it has in past years. I have a $60 per month discount set to expire next month, and I can honestly say that if DIRECTV doesn't match that for another year or come close, I will likely move on to another provider. $720 more a year for TV just isn't something I am interested in. There are too many other options available these days.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Will ST ever be available via ATT tv??
Unlikely, unless it ends up being sold on a non-exclusive basis by any and all cable TV providers. But NFL ST will very likely be easily available via *some* streaming platform come fall 2023, whether it's as an add-on to Amazon Prime Video, or ESPN+, or Peacock, or Apple TV+, or YouTube TV, or simply as a standalone streaming service/app like MLB.tv. The NFL wants to bring NFL ST to streaming somehow. And there are other far bigger, richer companies than DTV who at this point are more willing to lose money on it for it to serve as a loss-leader for their other businesses. And if anyone strikes an exclusive deal for it starting in 2023, it would very, very likely be a money-loser for them, just as it has been for DTV.

Since everyone who has AT&T TV (soon to be "DirecTV Stream") obviously has internet access and a streaming device, those folks don't really need NFL ST to be available for purchase as an add-on inside the AT&T TV app. As long as they can buy it from another streaming vendor, it's no problem for them to launch a different app.

·
Premium Member
11,281 Posts
I wonder if they are doing this figuring that NFLST is a sunk cost, and but if it keeps people from leaving Directv for the next few months while the new management takes over it will be worth it (assuming that by January they've made changes that will make it more likely for customers to stay)

41 - 60 of 242 Posts