DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

NFLST in HD this year will be moving to MPEG4. This means that you will need an H2x receiver or an HR2x DVR to receive the HD broadcasts of NFL Sunday Ticket. In addition, all of the signals will be coming via the satellite 99(c).

Time to check your signals to see that you're getting a high enough signal to fully enjoy NFLST this year.

To check your signal strength go to the following menu item:

Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Sat (& Ant) -> View Signal Strength

From there, change the Satellite to 99(c) .. you really want it to be in the 80's and 90's for optimal signal. You should have this for each Transponder that is not listed as N/A. 70's are marginal and anything less than that is poor .. you may want to consider having someone peak your dish if the signal strength is not high enough at this time.

If you are viewing NFLST in Standard Definition, then this does not apply.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Does this mean that DirecTV will send someone out to peak our signals into the 80s or 90s, even if we are not currently having problems?

Mine are in the 60s, 70s, and a couple of 80s, and I can't seem to get it any better myself.

I do have the protection plan.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paulman182 said:
Does this mean that DirecTV will send someone out to peak our signals into the 80s or 90s, even if we are not currently having problems?

Mine are in the 60s, 70s, and a couple of 80s, and I can't seem to get it any better myself.

I do have the protection plan.
You would have to call and ask to get a definitive answer ..

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
joed32 said:
And if you're getting a picture the answer is no. If you tell them there is no picture they will send someone.
That's pretty much the way it has been going, judging by posts in the forum. I was wondering if that had changed.

I'm still looking for a cheap Slimline I can put in myself to try for a better signal.

· Hall Of Fame
1,212 Posts
bryanw3535 said:
Nice job! How did you tweak?

Is this something that is recommended for complete newbies like me?
the general consensus seems to be that once they tweak the dish for 101 and 119 that you need to adjust the elevation up slightly for the 99 and 103. what did was have a friend sit by the tv with his cell phone, and i found the worst transponder on 99c and 103c and used that as the signal strength meter..it was tp 12 on 103c..about 77-78....then i adjusted the elevation about 1-2 degrees up while talking to him..and got 10 more points out of it. now tp 12 is 88 and most tps on the 103 are well above 90..and all of 99c is 90 or better. let us know how it goes for you.

· Godfather
274 Posts
Two things I'd like to mention - as always YMMV:

- With the protection plan, I have received no hassle regarding dish "tweaks". I have called them twice with the specific request of dish re-aims and received no push-back. Once the operator asked me why I needed the dish re-aimed and I expressed my concerns about rain-fades with no rain, just overcast conditions. Out they came. As an FYI - you should be calling the protection plan folks directly - number is on the protection plan materials (don't have the number handy)...

- Additionally, dish tweaks are only part of the issue. From my experiences lately, it appears the longer your cable runs, the less signal your recievers are getting. I have three recievers. One receives signal via a short direct cable run from the multiswitch (10 feet), another a long cable run direct from the WB68 (30 feet), and another uses the in-house prewiring (unknown length). The signal strengths vary among all three receivers, from high-90s to low-90s to mid-80s respectively. Might be a time to think about shortening those cable runs if possible.

Just some thinking points I wanted to share.

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
willis134 said:
I have very low signal strength on sats 99(s) and 103(s). what are these sats used for?
They are spot beams SAT's that are used to deliver MPEG4 HD locals to certain markets. If you do not receive MPEG4 HD locals than you will either have low signals (you may be on the edge of the spot beam for another market) or you will receive 0's.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
bones boy said:
.....Additionally, dish tweaks are only part of the issue. From my experiences lately, it appears the longer your cable runs, the less signal your recievers are getting. I have three recievers. One receives signal via a short direct cable run from the multiswitch (10 feet), another a long cable run direct from the WB68 (30 feet), and another uses the in-house prewiring (unknown length). The signal strengths vary among all three receivers, from high-90s to low-90s to mid-80s respectively. Might be a time to think about shortening those cable runs if possible.
Your experience is probably due more to variations in individual receivers at cable lengths < 100'. Of course, "in-house prewiring" is always suspect if not properly installed and terminated, especially if it's stapled to the studs, old RG-59 with crimp-style fittings, etc......

· AllStar
61 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1773565 said:
They are spot beams SAT's that are used to deliver MPEG4 HD locals to certain markets. If you do not receive MPEG4 HD locals than you will either have low signals (you may be on the edge of the spot beam for another market) or you will receive 0's.
What would cause me to have freeze up and pixalazation on hd channels only in the afternoon with the sun shining bright? I have good signal strength on all sats except ones listed above.

3 Posts
njblackberry said:
I could until last night. Around 10PM it crapped out.
Just curious what happened...sometimes I also lose 206 and get the "CW" (CWTV in standard def.) with no audio. WTF???

I have no clue why this happens. Just wondering if you experienced the same event. I didn't check my signal strength yet.

· Godfather
274 Posts
K4SMX said:
Of course, "in-house prewiring" is always suspect if not properly installed and terminated, especially if it's stapled to the studs, old RG-59 with crimp-style fittings, etc......
That's pretty interesting ... your suggestion about old RG-59 is probably dead-on in my case.

Thanks for the enlightenment! :righton:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.