DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the NHL Center Ice package. Every game I've programmed to record does not get recorded. I look at the history and some games are listed as "Deleted" some as "Canceled". What's going on? :mad:

·
Legend
126 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
I'm with you on this one. 2nd time tonite. I had the 'Canes v Penguins recording on 95 in HD. I checked the recording while it was going and everything was fine. Then when the game ended it did not appear in MyVOD and history showed as deleted.

I had it set as a manual recording a half hour later, so perhaps when the broadcast goes off the air after the game it confuses the recorder and the recorder deletes it.

No matter the issue, I have had 2 HD hockey recordings deleted without being able to watch them and I am not a happy hockey fan!

J.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the customer service line today and was escalated to the top tech guys. They did a search and said no one had reported this before and was going to do a report. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

·
Icon
650 Posts
shaneman said:
I called the customer service line today and was escalated to the top tech guys. They did a search and said no one had reported this before and was going to do a report. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.
They are so full of it. I got my hr20 on sept 25th and it did this with every Yankee game I tried to record through the end of the season. I called and complained everyday. Sunday I went to the 49ers game and set up the Jets-Miami game to record in HD as well as the Giants-Falcons game. When I got home the Jets game was deleted and the Giants game said "partial". They sure know about it let's see when it will be fixed.

·
Icon
650 Posts
wow

·
AllStar
76 Posts
I have the same problem and I reported it as well. It happened to every hockey game I tried recording since my install last Thursday including two on HDNET.

I suspect the issue on Center Ice is that since they don't start the feed right on the dot it tries to record when there is no feed coming in so it thinks it was cancelled or no signal and cancels the recording. That doesn't explain the HDNET problems.

They are aware of the issue - as to what they are doing about it is anyones guess.

But my question, what about their SD DVR? That has been out much longer - so does it have the same issues?

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Mysterious deletes of recorded programs is NOT limited to just "Center Ice" package channels (although those to appear to have the problem more consistently). It's also being discussed in the most recent posts of the "Official 0xDC Software Update" thread (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66858&page=27)

Here are copies of my posts to other recent threads on the same topic:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66856

No, you're definitely NOT the only one. I've had the HR20 about 4 weeks, and have had at least *7* instances of this happening (oh yes, I'm counting them!).

And they're all sporting events for some reason (although not all special 'extra' sports pay packages). Have lost 2 college football on MPEG4 local networks, 1 college football on ESPN-HD, 2 NFL games on Sunday Ticket, 1 Sharks game on FSNBA-HD, and 1 other hockey game on OLN/VS. Strange that there's never been a loss of a regular (non-sports) programming though.

The recording settings always appear properly in the "To-Do" list, the front light comes on OK during the recording time and the event appears with the live 'R' next to it in "MyVOD"................but as soon as the event is over, it disappears from "MyVOD" and is listed as 'Deleted' in the History. Even though NO ONE deleted it, and there is PLENTY of space available on the hard-drive.

Very, very, very frustrating and upsetting. I'm mighty tired of it. Luckily haven't lost any other Sharks games or any Steelers games (my 2 favorite teams).......yet!

Earl, could you please give an update on if there's an official D*TV bug or stance on randomly deleted programs??!!?? I've seen this same problem attiributed to add-on sports package channels (like 'Sunday Ticket' or 'ESPN Gameplan'), and also to the changing of title data in the guide, and to stopping the recording too early, and to manually scheduling a specific time-frame recording (rather than selecting the guide 'box' for the game), and to a rebooting of the box, etc, etc, etc!!

But it just seems like that's WAY too many mentions of this kind of problem for it to be a coincedence or for it to be ignored. Earl, please tell us this is being looked at and/or addressed........?!? Please....??

AND FURTHER ON 10/15:

Lost ANOTHER game today! And it was my Steelers!!! Can't believe I didn't get to watch them beat up on Kansas City.....!!

Wanted to also mention this lost event was NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan HD channel (725). And that this time the event was marked as "Cancelled" in the 'History' list (rather than "Deleted").

So add-on sports packages seem to have the most trouble with the random auto-deletes.

This is completely unacceptable. My old original Hughes 30-Gig Series-1 TiVo was WAY, WAY more reliable. And that was 7+ year old technology. The very LEAST thing a DVR should do is be able to record a selected program and keep it for future viewing. Just that one single thing....!

Can someone PLEASE tell me if and when D*TV plans to address this?!!!?

Please, please.....I'm begging you (Earl?)......can someone please at least confirm that D*TV knows these random deletes and loss of recorded shows are happening (more frequently since 0xDC!)?!!? And that they are now already in the process of addressing it?!!?

This type of problem has become FAR too common-place and widely posted about here for D*TV to ignore or try to write off to coincedence or signal strenth problems....!

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
At an absolute bare minimum, the DVR should err on the side of NOT automaticaly deleting events that had been set to record!! Just because something changes or seems suspect, that should NOT automatically equal the box permanently deleting the recording.

If the box is confused by guide data or spotty signal or other......then it should record like it was programmed to by the user and leave whatever the recorded signal was in the "MyVOD" list, and then let the USER decide whether to delete that event or not. What logic tells the DVR to just go ahead and auto-delete a recording and never even give the viewer the chance to look at it and decide if it's not what they wanted....?!!?

If D*TV could just implement something like that quickly, I think that would save a lot of people a whole lot of being upset. Then they could set about more permanently and properly addressing whatever the real issue is with a lot less pressure on them.....

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
I have the same issue.. recording the Sharks in HD(ch 95 or 96).. I set it up to record and go back later to check it an it is not scheduled to be recorded.. the request to record gets lost.... :(

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Folks... Call DTV and REPORT THIS PROBLEM! I have called 3 times now regarding this, each time told stupid things (reset the reserver, unplug for x minutes, etc) which obviously will not correct the problem. I am also told each time I call that they have never heard of this problem before and nobody else has reported it (which is BS as I know two other people that absolutely have called DTV to complain about this).

I called customer retention today to express my frustration regarding thie fact that I am paying $135 a year for the Center Ice package and can not record any of the games. I did NOT ask for any compensation nor was I looking for any but I called them to seek their assistance to escalate this problem.

CR does not have much technical abiliby but I was assured (we'll see) that the information would be passed on to the appropriate management team in their Tier 2 support.

It is well known that the HR20 has this problem (can anyone confirm if the HR15 does as well) but either DTV is full of **** and they are aware of the problem but not acknowledging it - or people simply are not reporting it to them so it's not getting any attention as a serious problem and nobody at DTV is actually looking into a fix for this.

·
AllStar
76 Posts
One question as I have not tried this myself but am assuming someone has:

Rather than setting up the recording based on the guide data, if you do a manual record on the channel in question, does it exhibit the same problem? Meaning if the manual record starts before the video starts broadcasting it does not record the program at all and/or if the video feed shuts down before the recording is scheduled to end it immediately deletes that recording from the list?

I am going to test this as well but I figured by now someone would have tried this and could post their results. The fact that nobody has brought this up as a possible workaround I am going to assume it won't work either.

·
Icon
650 Posts
farjo08 said:
One question as I have not tried this myself but am assuming someone has:

Rather than setting up the recording based on the guide data, if you do a manual record on the channel in question, does it exhibit the same problem? Meaning if the manual record starts before the video starts broadcasting it does not record the program at all and/or if the video feed shuts down before the recording is scheduled to end it immediately deletes that recording from the list?

I am going to test this as well but I figured by now someone would have tried this and could post their results. The fact that nobody has brought this up as a possible workaround I am going to assume it won't work either.
Tried that...same problem

·
3 Posts
I have called in over 10 times since receiving the HR-20 and am so livid, so fed up I could just go nuts! All my nhl ice games recorded are being deleted! And - every time I call in I 'll have to go through the same story, hearing that this is the first time they've heard about it, my case is being "escalated" to the the engineering dptm e.t.c, e.t.c. My old tivo was perfect; this unit is garbage! After complaining so much, they said my Hr-20 was defective and they sent me a new one. Got it yesterday - first game - same thing!!!!!!!!! I can't take it! Any one else any ideas or news?

·
Icon
968 Posts
rag said:
I have called in over 10 times since receiving the HR-20 and am so livid, so fed up I could just go nuts! All my nhl ice games recorded are being deleted! And - every time I call in I 'll have to go through the same story, hearing that this is the first time they've heard about it, my case is being "escalated" to the the engineering dptm e.t.c, e.t.c. My old tivo was perfect; this unit is garbage! After complaining so much, they said my Hr-20 was defective and they sent me a new one. Got it yesterday - first game - same thing!!!!!!!!! I can't take it! Any one else any ideas or news?
record your games on the home team's RSN. for example if the pens are playing the rangers at the garden, set your dvr to record the game on channel 621. 99.9% of the time NHL:CI picks up the home team's feed and uses that for their games.... i've been doing that since the season started and haven't been burned yet.

·
3 Posts
Really? That would be awesome. However, first, I don't have the dtv sports package (ch 600-650) and also assumed that depending on if your home team is playing at home or away, only about half of those FSN games would be viewable anyway. I don't live in my home team's "home coverage" area but rather in another state.

·
Icon
968 Posts
rag said:
Really? That would be awesome. However, first, I don't have the dtv sports package (ch 600-650) and also assumed that depending on if your home team is playing at home or away, only about half of those FSN games would be viewable anyway. I don't live in my home team's "home coverage" area but rather in another state.
i always forget that not everyone has the sports pack... i'm not sure if those channels are turned on during games or not. i'm going to guess they probably are not. kinda sad though that we have to develop roundabout ways to record sporting events b/c D* screwed the pooch on this dvr as far as sports subscriptions are concerned.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
the-sloth said:
i always forget that not everyone has the sports pack... i'm not sure if those channels are turned on during games or not. i'm going to guess they probably are not. kinda sad though that we have to develop roundabout ways to record sporting events b/c D* screwed the pooch on this dvr as far as sports subscriptions are concerned.
Games can be viewed on either NHLCI or the broadcasting RSN that the feed is being picked up from for the game (except for TSN broadcasts). If you have the regional sports package, then by all means record from the home team feed, which seems to be the channel used more times than not.

If you don't have the regional package there really isn't a work around. Unless you are able to schedule a manaul record and predict when the game will end and stop the recording before the feed is cut off by D*, you will lose the recording. I have had this problem with both NFLST and NHLCI. Tech Rep I spoke with today (3rd call on this issue) acknowledged that this is a known problem, but didn't have a timeline for a fix (not surprising).

I do have an off-thread question. Since this is a hockey related thread, I'm hoping that someone may be in the same boat from which I'm sinking. When my HR20 was installed, I got a five LNB dish (AT9). I live in the Cleveland area and have had two light snowfalls in the past three nights. Has anyone else had reception problems during a snowfall? The new dish seems to be very susceptible to interference from snow. Had a light coating on the dish (btw, this will happen frequently during the winter months here) and completely lost reception. I'm getting worried tha any amount of snow that may accumulate on the new dish will cause a signal loss. Thanks.

·
Icon
650 Posts
bighurtm said:
Games can be viewed on either NHLCI or the broadcasting RSN that the feed is being picked up from for the game (except for TSN broadcasts). If you have the regional sports package, then by all means record from the home team feed, which seems to be the channel used more times than not.

If you don't have the regional package there really isn't a work around. Unless you are able to schedule a manaul record and predict when the game will end and stop the recording before the feed is cut off by D*, you will lose the recording. I have had this problem with both NFLST and NHLCI. Tech Rep I spoke with today (3rd call on this issue) acknowledged that this is a known problem, but didn't have a timeline for a fix (not surprising).

I do have an off-thread question. Since this is a hockey related thread, I'm hoping that someone may be in the same boat from which I'm sinking. When my HR20 was installed, I got a five LNB dish (AT9). I live in the Cleveland area and have had two light snowfalls in the past three nights. Has anyone else had reception problems during a snowfall? The new dish seems to be very susceptible to interference from snow. Had a light coating on the dish (btw, this will happen frequently during the winter months here) and completely lost reception. I'm getting worried tha any amount of snow that may accumulate on the new dish will cause a signal loss. Thanks.
Even if you have rhe RSN they blackout the major sports that have subscriptions. Just like the YES Network will go black when the Yankees are on. Otherwise why would anyone pay for the Premium Sports package(MLb Extra innings, Full court, Center ice, ect.)?

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
mocciat said:
Even if you have rhe RSN they blackout the major sports that have subscriptions. Just like the YES Network will go black when the Yankees are on. Otherwise why would anyone pay for the Premium Sports package(MLb Extra innings, Full court, Center ice, ect.)?
If you have the RSN and the NHLCI, the programs are not blacked out on the RSN broadcasting feed. If two RSN are showing the same game, usually the home team feed is available on the RSN (blackout restrictions not withstanding).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.