DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few problems with the HR20 I got just before Thanksgiving. I came from a DirecTiVo (two of them), one of which is still a "backup" - so perhaps I'm a tad biased in expecting a device that "always just works." Still, I think the software is improving and some day it'll be what we can call "dependable."

At any rate, there are some things I like about the HR20 over the old TiVo. For example, I really like the way the HR20 handles the buffer. When I begin recording a show twenty minutes in, I don't get "what's left of the previous show in the buffer + the show I'm watching." I just get the recorded show.

Additionally, when I cancel a recording, the buffer stays! On the TiVo, when the recording is deleted, the buffer starts over. This has impressed me a few times.

There are a lot of negative posts out there, but it's the holiday season and I'm trying to recognize some of the good things. It's my hope that others can chime in with things they like about their HR20.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Often it has seemed that new users were requesting features that the HR20 already had. So I continue to compile a list for the TiVo to HR20 Survival Guide.

EDIT: Please note that there have been endless variations of TiVo, some with and some without many of these features. Please see the HR20 Advantages thread for a great discussion. Also, some of the features requested in the Wishlist thread were already in the HR20 as well.

Here is what I have collected so far:

HD National Channels - Seven HD Channels today and the capacity for 150 national HD Channels (due Q4, 2007)
HD Local Channels - in many markets.
OTA (Over the Air) HD broadcasts from local broadcasters
Large 300 GB Hard Drive - More Hours of Storage
eSATA External Drive - lets you add an external hard drive giving you even more recording time.
MPEG4 - Compression nearly doubles the amount of HD programming your can save.
Quicker Response - no more of TiVo's constant "Please Wait" messages
Quick Record - Press ® RECORD. Done! Press ® RECORD twice to set up a Season Pass! Done!
Faster Fast Forward - 5, 12, 20, or 90 times faster than normal play speed! Plus Skip to Tick at 300 times!
Hard Drive Usage Meter (%) - Display in My Playlist to show how much space you have left to use.
More Video Output Options - All outputs are available at the same time!
High Definition - HDMI and Component Video Outputs
Standard Definition - S-Video and Composite RCA
Audio Outputs - 5.1 Optical, 5.1 HDMI, and Two Sets of Stereo RCA Outputs
Better Conflict Resolution
If you try to record a third show at one time, you can choose to delete either previous request or the new one!
Soft Buffering - Extend a first show a few minutes longer and start next show a few minutes early-on two channels.
New Remote Control Capabilities
+ ACTIVE - Access the Active™ Channel - local weather and more!
+ BACK - Takes you to the screen you visited previously
+ RED - In Guide, jumps 12 hours back; other functions vary - look for onscreen hints
+ GREEN - In Guide, jumps 12 hours forward; other functions vary - look for hints onscreen
+ YELLOW - fullscreen TV, cycles through alternate audio tracks; other functions vary - look for onscreen hints
+ BLUE - during live TV, displays the Mini Guide; other functions vary, in My Playlist marks program to be saved
RF Remote Option - lets you control the HR20 when it is behind a cabinet door or in another room
Control Two HR20's - Control two HR20's from one HR20 Remote!
Watch One HR20 in Multiple Rooms - Use a second RF remote & the multiple video outputs!
New Playback Controls
+ SKIP -> - Skip to Tick - Press and hold 8 to go forward to next tick mark (usually 15 or 30 minutes).
+ SKIP <- - Press and hold 7 to back up to previous tick mark (usually 15 or 30 minutes).
+ END - Press and hold ►| for 3 seconds to jump to end of program (or next bookmark if set)
+ BEGIN - Press and hold O► for 3 seconds to jump to the beginning of the program (or previous bookmark if set)
Bookmarks - Bookmark a great play or a funny line to jump back to later.
Mini Guide - Press the ● BLUE button to see what is on other channels while still watching full screen
Picture In List - Keep watching your show while you check the Guide or My Playlist (Now Showing)
Play MP3's - Play MP3's and see photos from your ViiV capable PC (and others) through your HR20
Broadband Video On Demand to offer hundreds of additional programs (due Q4, 2006)
Great Commercial Skip
Some TiVo's had a hidden feature to Skip 30 seconds at a time - but screen froze.
►| ADVANCE - (Slip) Jumps ahead in a recording - 30 second Slip in 1½ seconds. Screen does not freeze!
Native Mode - Press MENU , click Help & Settings à Click Setup -> Click Display and then
Native ON - HR20 and HR20 will automatically pick the display resolution for you (480, 720. 1080)
Native OFF - Press FORMAT to choose the resolution you want to use from up to 10 resolutions.
Great Dolby® Digital 5.1Audio
Press MENU then Click Audio Options -> Edit Settings, Press the ● GREEN button, click Dolby ON
Optical and HDMI links - sound as good as a DVD.
Record XM Music - For Later playback.
No Phone Requirement - You only have to connect a phone line for Pay Per Views
Caller ID - Caller ID onscreen pop-up option - Press MENU then click Calls & Msgs -> Edit Settings -> Caller ID
Better Pay Per View Billing - Pay when you PLAY a show not When you Record a show!

Let me know others that should be added!

- Craig

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:
HD National Channels - Seven HD Channels today and the capacity for 150 national HD Channels (due Q4, 2007)

New Playback Controls
+ SKIP -> - Skip to Tick - Press and hold 8 to go forward to next tick mark (usually 15 or 30 minutes).
+ SKIP <- - Press and hold 7 to back up to previous tick mark (usually 15 or 30 minutes).

Broadband Video On Demand to offer hundreds of additional programs (due Q4, 2006)

Great Dolby® Digital 5.1Audio
Press MENU then Click Audio Options -> Edit Settings, Press the ? GREEN button, click Dolby ON
Optical and HDMI links - sound as good as a DVD.

Record XM Music - For Later playback.

Caller ID - Caller ID onscreen pop-up option - Press MENU then click Calls & Msgs -> Edit Settings -> Caller ID
These are not features of the HR20 - my first series 1 TiVo did Dolby with digital optical audio out, for example. C'mon, Craig. You've listed so many things - and so many that simply aren't true - that you've only managed to decrease the value of your list.

I wasn't asking for a laundry list. I was asking what people like about their HR20s. Apparently, since this is the whopping third post on this thread, everyone's just here to complain and moan.

And listing planned future things (especially when one of them is CLEARLY unlikely to happen) is just plain silly.

Milominderbinder2 said:
Great Commercial Skip
Some TiVo's had a hidden feature to Skip 30 seconds at a time - but screen froze.
?| ADVANCE - (Slip) Jumps ahead in a recording - 30 second Slip in 1½ seconds. Screen does not freeze!
The screen doesn't freeze on a TiVo, and it's getting old hearing that from you as if slip was some great feature. Almost nobody that comes from a TiVo likes it. We get used to it, but given the choice, we'd go back to skip over slip.

The TiVo's skip is near-instantaneous. For a few milliseconds, I suppose you could call the picture frozen. But then BAM, you've skipped ahead already, and calling it "frozen" is disingenuous. Most people don't even notice - to them, it's "instant."

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,418 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Apparently this is not a feature of all HR20s yet; even with OTA enabled. This feature needs to wait until they've worked the bugs out (or identified the reason that so many 771 errors are occurring; I suspect an automatic gain control failure).
eSATA External Drive - lets you add an external hard drive giving you even more recording time.
This is also somewhat misleading. At this time, the eSATA drive replaces the internal drive, it doesn't "add".
MPEG4 - Compression nearly doubles the amount of HD programming your can save.
This is false. The benefit is probably less than 25% and an argument could be made that it won't ever get there.
No Phone Requirement - You only have to connect a phone line for Pay Per Views
Because the HR20 is a DirecTV receiver, its programming comes with a phone line requirement by contract. That it isn't needed could be construed to be an advantage, but you're still bound by contract to have it hooked up.

I'd also like to reiterate some of iacas' items:

1. HD nationals aren't exclusive to the HR20, so it isn't any surprise that it handles them. Including speculation about additional channels detracts from the true benefits of the HR20. It is also notable that the new national channels will not require Ka reception capability; further making this less of an issue. While we've long speculated that future releases would be MPEG4 only, it remains to be seen.

2. Broadband VOD: not here yet and it doesn't look promising for the time period you've cited. Don't put promised features to a list of current features.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Here's what I can think of now (I too came from a Directivo):

- 2 click season pass with record defaults
- faster reorganizing of the prioritizer
- picture in list
- better conflict resolution
- parental controls (specifically the "blocked title" of MA stuff and just unlocking one show at a time instead of having to unlock it for a block of time)
- one touch keep or delete in list
- mini guide (though I don't use it a ton)
- I think it's cool how the menu changes depending on where you are and what you're doing (for example, the "Date & Time" thing when in the guide can take you to a date farther in the future without scrolling)
- and the red/green 12 hour skip in the guide
- free space indicator is nice (although I kind of obsess about it; it was almost nice to not know so I didn't worry when I was getting low)
- and I guess I have to add HD, though that really wasn't the Directivo's fault

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
My favorite features are the one touch record, HDD usage meter and the picture in the guide. I have had relatively good luck with our three HR20's, and have connected OTA and network. Overall, I am satisfied with the performance and features of the unit.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
Although I miss the dual buffers of the 10-250, I do like the larger single buffer of the HR20.

Last night I came in really late on a repeat of a House episode I had missed. Since the HR20 happened to be tuned to the USA Network , I hit the record button and got the entire hour, instead of only 30 minutes of it.

Very nice.

·
Icon
609 Posts
yeah i love the HR20 as well, especially with the last software upgrade we got, Ox10b, nice to have ota, nice to be able to hook to my computer and listen to all the music i have stored on my comp, nice to view photos, nice to watch videos i have stored on my comp as well, much better than any tivo by far, anything you want to do on the tivo you need to pause everything, and no small window to do other things such as schedule another program like the hr20 has, or push the active button and do your thing there, and then push the previous button and it will take you back to your recording you were watching, and pick up right up where you left off, a real neat feature that i love, i am real satisfied with the hr20, the tivo is so outdated with features, like the hr20 has

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.