DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got the Platinum HD service with a Vip622 installed and I'm really enjoying it, but I've got no ABC feed! :nono:

I live in Santa Cruz, CA (95062) and when I checked antennaweb dot org, there is no Local affiliate included in my "locals" package. OTA will not work as there is an ~1600' mountain between me and the transmitter. My fiance is going to shoot me if we can't get Grey's Anatomy. Will the recent DNS decision help me? HELP!

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
surfinguru said:
Well, I just got the Platinum HD service with a Vip622 installed and I'm really enjoying it, but I've got no ABC feed! :nono:

I live in Santa Cruz, CA (95062) and there is no Local affiliate included in my "locals" package. OTA will not work as there is an ~1600' mountain between me and the transmitter. My fiance is going to shoot me if we can't get Grey's Anatomy. HELP!
You should get KGO-TV 7. You're in the DMA.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
Actually, Monterey, Salinas and Santa Cruz does not have KGO, as it is from San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose market.

There is no ABC in the market, and there is no way for Dish Network to import a distant ABC for the market.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnH said:
Just checked and you are in the Monterey/Salinas DMA and there is no ABC.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance to all this as I'm a total newb, but that means what? That there is no way to get any ABC feed?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
surfinguru said:
That there is no way to get any ABC feed?
The ONLY way to get one would be to "move" to the San Fran DMA & then you would get ALL of the SF locals, instead of the Sal/Mon locals - do a search on moving for (much) more info ;) ;)

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
This is really annoying that Dish doesn't offer ABC in Santa Cruz. Comcast offers KGO-7 and DirecTV offers KGO-7, but Dish Network doesn't offer it. It can't be some DMA rule since both Comcast and DirecTV are able to offer that channel to that market.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
After KNTV dropped ABC and became the new NBC affiliate in the San Francisco DMA, a special feed of KGO was added to the Monterey/Salinas area cable systems because of syndex. Basically I think the only difference is that it gets blacked out during Regis & Kelly at 9, Oprah at 4, and Jeopardy!/Wheel of Fortune from 7-8pm.

·
Legend
135 Posts
redfiver said:
This is really annoying that Dish doesn't offer ABC in Santa Cruz. Comcast offers KGO-7 and DirecTV offers KGO-7, but Dish Network doesn't offer it. It can't be some DMA rule since both Comcast and DirecTV are able to offer that channel to that market.
Direct offers ABC distant in Santa Cruz, according to their website. There is no local ABC on Direct for Santa Cruz.

Mitch

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
makman said:
Direct offers ABC distant in Santa Cruz, according to their website. There is no local ABC on Direct for Santa Cruz.

Mitch
No, you get a localish feed for ABC, not the LA version. From the DirecTV site for a santa cruz zip:

ABC KGO 7
NBC KSBW 8
PBS KCAH 25
FOX KCBA 35
CBS KION 46
UNI KSMS 67

Unfortunately, no HDs. If I still lived in Santa Cruz, I'd 'move' to san jose and get the San Jose DMA stations. Many more stations and includes HD signals for 4 channels.

·
Legend
135 Posts
redfiver said:
No, you get a localish feed for ABC, not the LA version. From the DirecTV site for a santa cruz zip:

ABC KGO 7
NBC KSBW 8
PBS KCAH 25
FOX KCBA 35
CBS KION 46
UNI KSMS 67

Unfortunately, no HDs. If I still lived in Santa Cruz, I'd 'move' to san jose and get the San Jose DMA stations. Many more stations and includes HD signals for 4 channels.
Hmmm. I cannot get to that page. I get a blank page. But when I put a Santa Cruz address in the DNS search, I get availability of ABC DNS, not the others.

Mitch

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
Does anyone know which network is most impacted by this recent court injunction on distant networks?

So far I have heard more feedback on these forums from people that have lost ABC.

One thing for sure is that the American Broadcasting Company is no longer available nationwide.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
makman said:
Hmmm. I cannot get to that page. I get a blank page. But when I put a Santa Cruz address in the DNS search, I get availability of ABC DNS, not the others.

Mitch
go to directv.com, choose 'Programming' on the left nav menu and choose "Local Channels", type in a Santa Cruz zip, such as 95062, and it will come up with the list.

·
Legend
135 Posts
redfiver said:
go to directv.com, choose 'Programming' on the left nav menu and choose "Local Channels", type in a Santa Cruz zip, such as 95062, and it will come up with the list.
That is where I get the blank page, even after it is done loading.

Mitch

·
Godfather
430 Posts
as has already been suggested, the best way for the original poster to deal with this issue is to "move" to some adjoining market. basically this entails calling up dish and lying about where you live in order to receive locals from a different market.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so D* says i get it, but how do I get it from E* with the whole NPS/DNS disaster that's going on right now?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
psnarula said:
as has already been suggested, the best way for the original poster to deal with this issue is to "move" to some adjoining market. basically this entails calling up dish and lying about where you live in order to receive locals from a different market.
you'll get it by doing the above

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.