DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Mentor
33 Posts
I live near Santa Cruz. When I first moved to this area I put up about a $1,000 off-the-air antenna system with highly directional antenna and a rotator. I was able to get the 4 major networks, but it was a real pain and the rotator requirement prevented me from using a VCR to record the shows I wanted to watch later. Plus, the signal quality was marginal.

Besides that, the Monterey/Salinas stations were horrible grade B market stations who would pre-empt a prime-time Friday night show for a local highschool basketball game. I hated it.

I got Dish and was able to get Distant Networks. Problem solved.

A few years later, Dish started carrying the Monterey/Salinas locals and told me I had to switch. Since I'd built up such a dislike of those particular stations, I chose to move my equipment to my weekend place in NorCal where the DN were still available. Of course, I just changed my service address and my billing address remained the same, so it all worked nicely. Problem solved.

Then, Dish Network lost the court battle and was forced to discontinue ALL distant network feeds to EVERYBODY. No exceptions. After doing a lot of checking into various options, I chose to move my equipment to a small "crash pad" I keep over by San Francisco International Airport. There, I can get all the San Francisco locals and even the HD locals. Nice. I miss the time shifting of the DN, but at least I get quality broadcast TV from all the networks — if there is such a thing.

Surfinguru, PM me if you'd like to discuss further. I may be able to help guide you through the required nuances. ...or, you could just get DirecTV or, gasp, Comcast.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.