DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Godfather
430 Posts
this issue is unrelated to the ongoing DNS issue. dish network does not carry an abc affiliate in your market. so to get one, you need to tell them that you "moved" your dish and all receivers to your vacation home in the market where you want locals.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
surfinguru said:
Gawd I hate to be so uninformed, as well as deceitful, but would an address with a ZIP code of 95123 work?
yes, that is a san jose zip code

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
Michael P said:
Here is an ethical way to get ABC from your area:
https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/
$2.50/mo gets you San Fran and Atlanta ABC if you qualify. Since there is no ABC in your area you probably will qualify.
unfortunately, Santa Cruz doesn't qualify.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
All these areas now missing networks like ABC, need to have an approved affiliate for that region so that all customers get an ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox station regardless of where they live. That would also eliminate the need for distant networks and waivers.

I know others who are dealing with this just want an ABC station to watch their favorite shows. Most satellite customers are not familiar with these online forums, Charlie Chat, or any other source that warned them that this distant network shut off was going to happen so it came as a complete surprise when their channels were just gone.

It is frustrating having to use a different provider with some being told yes they qualify while others in the same DMA (that should qualify) don't, then what are they supposed to do? NPS has said they'd submit waivers--waivers to who? If there is no local affiliate in the market, then there is no station to send it to. I can see why people want to "move" or return to cable (where all networks are provided) because it is becoming too much of a hassle just to get the basic broadcast networks!

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, if I do move to my folks house in San Jose, in addition to getting the ABC feed from KGO, the extra bonus would be all the local HD feeds....<scratches chin wondering how long it would take to update programming>

·
Godfather
430 Posts
it takes about 2 minutes for the new channels to show up after a "move". your guide isn't updated immediately but if you care, you can force an update on the guide by doing the check switch test.

·
Mentor
33 Posts
I live near Santa Cruz. When I first moved to this area I put up about a $1,000 off-the-air antenna system with highly directional antenna and a rotator. I was able to get the 4 major networks, but it was a real pain and the rotator requirement prevented me from using a VCR to record the shows I wanted to watch later. Plus, the signal quality was marginal.

Besides that, the Monterey/Salinas stations were horrible grade B market stations who would pre-empt a prime-time Friday night show for a local highschool basketball game. I hated it.

I got Dish and was able to get Distant Networks. Problem solved.

A few years later, Dish started carrying the Monterey/Salinas locals and told me I had to switch. Since I'd built up such a dislike of those particular stations, I chose to move my equipment to my weekend place in NorCal where the DN were still available. Of course, I just changed my service address and my billing address remained the same, so it all worked nicely. Problem solved.

Then, Dish Network lost the court battle and was forced to discontinue ALL distant network feeds to EVERYBODY. No exceptions. After doing a lot of checking into various options, I chose to move my equipment to a small "crash pad" I keep over by San Francisco International Airport. There, I can get all the San Francisco locals and even the HD locals. Nice. I miss the time shifting of the DN, but at least I get quality broadcast TV from all the networks — if there is such a thing.

Surfinguru, PM me if you'd like to discuss further. I may be able to help guide you through the required nuances. ...or, you could just get DirecTV or, gasp, Comcast.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Haha, thanks Bowlin - all you guys have been really helpful with the info. Had Comcast at the old house with HD service which wasn't too bad. Moved in with the fiancee a few months ago in Capitola, which is only served by Charter. <dear god what jacked up company>

So, since I'm "moving" to San Jose, and just had the install at my billing address in Santa Cruz/Capitola, will I get alot of grief <ie: questioned?> from the CSR when I call to have my service adress changed?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
psnarula said:
the CSRs don't care. more than likely, they know what you are doing. as long as you are paying for your locals, they have bigger fish to fry.
Shoot some CSRs are overseas at some call center where they are clueless on addresses and things in the US. But like you said they don't care. They just go by whatever locals you address says you can get.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Really I think that the letters of complaint should be going to the network. The local stations are going to have little ability to do anything other than spout a NAB party line. If the nets start getting a large number of I can't get your net at all they might start thinking about how they are losing viewers.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.