DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,804 Posts
Can viewers in your area pick up KGO over the air with an outside antenna?

It is so ridiculous how on satellite you can only have one network affiliate station yet if you happen to live in an area that picks up two stations of the same network affiliate that is ok.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It really depends on how elaborate of an OTA setup you want to install. I tried the silver sensor and a few other smaller in house solutions and it just didn't cut it for me.

·
Godfather
430 Posts
i think this guy chose his parent's address because they live in that market.

other people just add a non-existent apartment number to the address of a fast food restaurant. the address you choose doesn't have to exist -- it just has to work in the computer. and the computer only keeps track of acceptable ranges of addresses (much like the postal service).

on some roads, the addresses jump in increments of 10. if you pick an address in the middle that ends with a 5, it'll work in the computer and you'll be assured that you won't conflict with a real subscriber at some real location.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,505 Posts
Paul Secic said:
Um, this is how this started. Lying to E!
Actually E* lost distants for failure to keep records and failure disconnect KNOWN illegal subscribers - not because of "movers".

That doesn't mean "moving" is a good thing. Fortunately it isn't a major impact on E*'s operations otherwise those who have lied about their addresses would be more likely to be caught.

·
Legend
135 Posts
psnarula said:
i think this guy chose his parent's address because they live in that market.

other people just add a non-existent apartment number to the address of a fast food restaurant. the address you choose doesn't have to exist -- it just has to work in the computer. and the computer only keeps track of acceptable ranges of addresses (much like the postal service).

on some roads, the addresses jump in increments of 10. if you pick an address in the middle that ends with a 5, it'll work in the computer and you'll be assured that you won't conflict with a real subscriber at some real location.
Do they ask for a new tel number when you "move". I guess people just tell them that they did a self install also?

Mitch

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
psnarula said:
no, they don't ask for a new telephone number. if they happen to ask, just say that you don't have a phone there because you use your cellphone at the vacation home.
Yeah, I was asked about it, and the truth is, we don't have a phone. We're cell all the way.

Paul, trust me, I was not comfortable at first with the "move", but the more I thought about it, the more indifferent I became. There is something inherently wrong with the system when you can't get the basic big three networks outside of a DMA.

·
3 Posts
Maybe I jumped on the NPS solution too fast.
The west coast ABC feed is poor at the moment.
I'm psyching myself up for the "move" call to E*.
How about "I took my Vonage number with me" as a response to the phone# question?

·
Godfather
484 Posts
gspguy said:
Maybe I jumped on the NPS solution too fast.
The west coast ABC feed is poor at the moment.
I'm psyching myself up for the "move" call to E*.
It would be interesting to see what would happen if an NPS DNS customer transferred their E* service to an LIL area without notifying NPS. If the NPS DNS then disappeared, that would be proof positive that the two companies are acting in concert.

My guess, however, is that you can "move" your E* subscription to downtown LA and NPS will be none the wiser, because I'll bet they only look up your E* info on first signup, and after that they keep your info in their own separate database.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.