DBSTalk Forum banner

Is lack of DLBs enough to make you dump D*?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 66 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Tibber's Q&A:

tibber said:
HR20 Roadmap
Dual Live Buffers
Product team understands how important this is to users and are weighing this against other features desired. No definitive commitment yet.
First off, Thank you Tom for getting this information.

This answer is a complete and utter disappointment. This answer tells me all I need to know. Despite the ridiculous amount of responders insisting DLBs are essential in Que's Poll, D* still will not commit to adding the feature.

In other words: For some reason, THEY DON'T WANT TO ADD THIS FEATURE and they are waiting for a good reason to convince them to do so.

I'm pretty irked right now. I know there are a bunch of you out there that could care less about DLBs. That's fine, we don't need a bunch of posts in this thread about how much you don't care about DLBs.

Well I for one will consider going back to cable and TIVO if they don't. I'm sure I'm in a minority in that. But if I'm not, NOW is the time for everyone else to chime in with the same sentiment.

If I'm in a minority here, go ahead and let this thread die.

BUT if I'm not: I propose we use the power of the internet to make our voices heard. Perhaps we all cancel service on the same day unless we get some kind of commitment from them on adding the feature. But according to Que's poll, there are a HUGE number of people out there that think DLBs are important. Maybe not as important as canceling their service, but important none the less.

TV isn't the same for me without DLB. That's all there is too it. It's enough to make me switch services. Anyone else agree on this?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
OMG...

Seriously...
They are still considering the feature...

But they can't go an make a semi-major change to the way the unit was designed to work, until they stabalize the unit.

They have a list <---- this ----> long of features they want to add to the unit... but can't... as they have to wait till the box is stable.

They have definently acknowledged the forum's response to wanting DLB's.
They have seen the statements... get DLB and I throw my DTiVo out...

They know... seriously... they know... but it isn't a simple flip the switch, change this line of code... boom your done.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
In other words: For some reason, THEY DON'T WANT TO ADD THIS FEATURE and they are waiting for a good reason to convince them to do so.
I suspect that there is some underlying software design issue that makes this implementation tough to do now. I do hope that the fact that DLB is the #1 feature request leads them to put a bigger emphasis on it for future products.

That being said, once the kinks are worked out of the current HR20 firmware, I hope that they at least internally commit to trying to make it work. They may not have enough man-power to even think about it right now.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
OMG...

Seriously...
They are still considering the feature...

But they can't go an make a semi-major change to the way the unit was designed to work, until they stabalize the unit.

They have a list <---- this ----> long of features they want to add to the unit... but can't... as they have to wait till the box is stable.

They have definently acknowledged the forum's response to wanting DLB's.
They have seen the statements... get DLB and I throw my DTiVo out...

They know... seriously... they know... but it isn't a simple flip the switch, change this line of code... boom your done.
Then why don't they make some kind of commitment to them? This answer they gave Tom sounds like they are mulling it over, and that if the mood strikes them, they will add it. It could be two years before they add it with an answer like that.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
I agree DLB is critical to my enjoyment, but not over HD. I do want them to know just how important it is to me. Your quote " Maybe not as important as canceling their service, but important nonetheless", describes my position. Especially once baseball starts.

If the logic is let us stabalize this puppy first, i can be patient.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
mtnagel said:
Just curious, do all cable co's and Dish Network's DVRs have them?
Here in STL, Charter doesn't have DLB. My bro thought it was cool when he saw
my HD-Tivo with them.

If I really need it, I just hit record on what I am flipping back and forth between.

·
Icon
764 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the response he got. Marketing is notoroious for not committing to anything. :lol: They do have to play it safe so as to avoid getting bit in the future. I feel fairly sure that in time they will add this, but you cannot make major changes, nor even commit to do so, to something that is unstable and essentially still in beta. Albeit released, but still basically beta stage.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
DLB is not a make or break issue with me. If they get it fine, but I can also live without. Yes, I do have an HR10-250 and DLB rarely comes into play for me, but seriously, if for some reason they decided to disable DLB in TIVO, I wouldn't throw myself under a bus..... It's just TV

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
wmschultz said:
Here in STL, Charter doesn't have DLB. My bro thought it was cool when he saw
my HD-Tivo with them.

If I really need it, I just hit record on what I am flipping back and forth between.
the work around is far from perfect and doesnt work half as well...

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
say-what said:
DLB is not a make or break issue with me. If they get it fine, but I can also live without. Yes, I do have an HR10-250 and DLB rarely comes into play for me, but seriously, if for some reason they decided to disable DLB in TIVO, I wouldn't throw myself under a bus..... It's just TV
its all just tv, but if we werent passionate about it we would be on a different site...............

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
DLB is fine but my preference would be for Picture in Picture PIP. I too vote for stability over anything else at this point now that OTA is out there. Is PIP a deal breaker, not at all. Will it come, doubt it but I think its a similar request to DLB. Less popular but still shouldnt be a leave D* because of it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,359 Posts
It's not enough to make me dump D*...yet.

It is enough to keep me waiting to invest in an HR20 or buying the HD package.

The lack of DLBs and the instability of the HR20 unit have me in a holding pattern. I wouldn't buy an HR20 (excuse me LEASE one) until both issues were addressed. I can see where they would want to make it work the way it was SUPPOSED to first, THEN make it work the way we WANT IT TO. That makes a certain amount of sense.

So I will continue to stay with SD television and bide my time.

It may be to my benefit in the long run. HD Televsions are only going to keep getting cheaper. My current TV is HD Monitor capable, which is good enough since I need the external box for D* anyway, but with the way things stand right now I guess what I will do is...nothing.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
HarleyD said:
It's not enough to make me dump D*...yet.

It is enough to keep me waiting to invest in an HR20 or buying the HD package.

The lack of DLBs and the instability of the HR20 unit have me in a holding pattern. I wouldn't buy an HR20 (excuse me LEASE one) until both issues were addressed. I can see where they would want to make it work the way it was SUPPOSED to first, THEN make it work the way we WANT IT TO. That makes a certain amount of sense.

So I will continue to stay with SD television and bide my time.

It may be to my benefit in the long run. HD Televsions are only going to keep getting cheaper. My current TV is HD Monitor capable, which is good enough since I need the external box for D* anyway, but with the way things stand right now I guess what I will do is...nothing.
your position makes alot of sense....but watching the game last night in HD was amazing; once you make the move you cant enjoy sd tv anymore.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
No doubt, DLB is a great feature.

To suggest, as the poll does that it's an all or nothing, dump D* choice, made me chuckle.

Shirley, you've got to be kidding.

Considering everything the HR20 does do (and for me very well), they could tell me they are never going DLB and it would be met with a shrug. Further, while I like the idea of DLB, I do not assign it any importance whatever IN CONTEXT with other current issues.

There is a priority of "wish list" items. Where does DLB come in?

Then there's the larger issue of having what is already there work right. Until this box is much more stable (for those having big issues), I would hope that D* doesn't do ANYTHING with DLB, or any other "new" features. It makes no sense.

The latest poll shows that 80% of over 200 respondents will keep their HR20s and are having few problems. That leaves 20% with real, perhaps even major issues. Until those are addressed (as they could rear their ugly head for any of us at any time), DLB should be well down the list of things consuming the programming team's resources.

I love it when a poll is done with an obvious agenda and the responses don't support the apparent agenda.:)

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.