DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere last month but got little reply. I hope someone can help here?

I lose the HD locals (CBS,NBC,ABC etc.) after midnight! I watch allot of late nite TV usually until 2:30-3AM before retiring. I've called D and all they wanna do is book a service call at my expense. SD works fine thru the whole night but I DO pay extra for the HD! No 771!
I've checked my transponder signal strengths and they are all good. Some hitting 100! The screen goes black first.Then the silvery background screen pops up and says "No Need to Call Us" and that broadcasting has ceased for the day and will resume in the AM! OR "Do Not Call Us" we are aware (they mention the broadcasters signal being down or something).....................etc. I just remember the quoted words verbatim and the gist of the rest. It basically says DTV is NOT gonna give me HD locals for the rest of this morning from midnight to whenever it starts up again!
I still have a cable box so I know that these locals are still up in HD but D doesn't seem to want me to watch HD after midnite or later! Why? Conan IS in HD as is other programming.

I just signed back up with DTV for the HD. Was gone over 2 years. I'm in NYC, have an HR21-700 and have watched late nite in HD regularly since I got DTV installed back in January '08 until recently! Signal strength is great! No trees either. I already had that "oh your wiring was all wrong at the dish" tech visit after complaining allot back in Feb. That seemed to make it better. The HD looked scrambled and I had to reboot the receiver allot. Glad that stopped but now this. My head hurts.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on? Does anyone else get this?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

· Registered
2,792 Posts
tinhead said:
I posted this elsewhere last month but got little reply. I hope someone can help here?

I lose the HD locals (CBS,NBC,ABC etc.) after midnight! I watch allot of late nite TV usually until 2:30-3AM before retiring. I've called D and all they wanna do is book a service call at my expense. SD works fine thru the whole night but I DO pay extra for the HD! No 771!
I've checked my transponder signal strengths and they are all good. Some hitting 100! The screen goes black first.Then the silvery background screen pops up and says "No Need to Call Us" and that broadcasting has ceased for the day and will resume in the AM! OR "Do Not Call Us" we are aware (they mention the broadcasters signal being down or something).....................etc. I just remember the quoted words verbatim and the gist of the rest. It basically says DTV is NOT gonna give me HD locals for the rest of this morning from midnight to whenever it starts up again!
I still have a cable box so I know that these locals are still up in HD but D doesn't seem to want me to watch HD after midnite or later! Why? Conan IS in HD as is other programming.

I just signed back up with DTV for the HD. Was gone over 2 years. I'm in NYC, have an HR21-700 and have watched late nite in HD regularly since I got DTV installed back in January '08 until recently! Signal strength is great! No trees either. I already had that "oh your wiring was all wrong at the dish" tech visit after complaining allot back in Feb. That seemed to make it better. The HD looked scrambled and I had to reboot the receiver allot. Glad that stopped but now this. My head hurts.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on? Does anyone else get this?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Youve offered one possible explanation yourself. Directv may not carry the HD feed after a certain time. I dont know why they would do this but it makes sense. My suggestion, find out who the chief engineer is for one or more of the stations affected is, you can generally find out this info on the station website or by calling them, and send them an email or leave a phone message asking this same question.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
jodyguercio said:
Youve offered one possible explanation yourself. Directv may not carry the HD feed after a certain time. I dont know why they would do this but it makes sense. My suggestion, find out who the chief engineer is for one or more of the stations affected is, you can generally find out this info on the station website or by calling them, and send them an email or leave a phone message asking this same question.
I think the locals there stop transmiiting there in HD after a certain time. My channels are there, but certainly not in HD. Is there something in HD at 2 in the morning?

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well at least I'm getting some responses here.
OTA the local stations broadcast the HD version of all of their programming. No stretching either. (Check TitanTV.) Maybe some 4:3 ratio but no distorting like TNT.
Cable TV is the same.
Conan is HD and is on here from 12:36am to 1:36am. Kimmel is marked HD at 1:06am to 2:06am and so is Comics Unleashed HD at 1:35am to 2:05am! There's even an HD Conan rerun at 3:05am til 4am! That's HD programming on my NYC locals almost all the early morning! Normal programming starts at 5AM!

How does it make sense for DirecTV to stop transmitting HD when the local stations here in NYC (2,4,5,7 at least) do it 24/7/365? Don't I pay for 'local' and HD? If my locals broadcast HD content all night (no infomercials) then that's what I should get.
If not please let me know where I'm wrong? This is a 24/7/365 town with stores and other businesses open 24 hrs, even supermarkets and Walgreens.

Even the unconverted SD stuff looks better on the HD version of the non-HD channel! So there IS a difference when it's done right.

When I call they make me feel like I'm looking for free HBO or something. (I pay for HBO & Showtime for the time being.) I'm only looking for the service I pay for, locals and HD when I wanna watch! Nothing extra!

I have a friend who works as a video editor for 1 of the 4 major networks here in NYC. I'll ask him to see if I can get my 'locals' response about HD transmission & DTV after 1AM. I feel this is solely a DirecTV issue and not the broadcasters. I have a cable TV connection and will switch over just to watch my programs but should I have too? I think not!

Just by coincidence it has been fine all week! That's great!
To answer some questions above I forgot they use 80-87 for a copy of the 4 networks. I will check that if this happens again.

Steve21-reread the whole post. Your answers are there.

I'll update when I get an answer from my network buddy or it starts up again.
Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.