DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with the installer and he stated that they do not have any HR20s in stock. After talking to him for a bit he stated that they have not had any since the 3 week in September. This means that D* scheduled me knowing that he did not have any in stock. This makes me mad that they would scheduled me out for 4 weeks and now when the time comes next week there seems to be no way in hell I am going to get this thing installed.

Retail does not have any in stock I have checked two stores stock in a 50 mile radius.

Looks like I am going to be making another call to retention. Anyone have the retention number handy

· Mentor
40 Posts
I'm sure that I speak for many when I say that you can have mine ... I've had it for two weeks and wish I had my old HR10-250 back instead. Don't be in any hurry to join the growing ranks of paying beta testers - the HR20 is far from ready for consumer use :nono2:

· Legend
108 Posts
Hi, new here. I too was scheduled for an install, then got a call on the day of installation and got told that they were out of the HD DVRs and I have to re-schedule! Yesterday, 2 weeks later, installer arrives with my new dvr/dish, a few hours later it's up and running. Now, I'm just wondering what exactly did I get myself into! What a piece of work this HR20 is! I couldn't watch anything more than 15 minutes without crashing or HD channels disappearing.

Unlike you Steve, I told D* that I'm keeping my HR10 until I know for sure that I can rely on their new dvr! I would love to enjoy this new dvr but it won't let me! :mad: I'll try it again this weekend and see how it goes. I did a lot of reading on this forum and will try some of the tips, switch to components maybe, remove BBC... and see if things improve. Thanks for the all info available on this forum! Hope to learn more and perhaps contribute some help as well.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
bluesjam said:
Unlike you Steve, I told D* that I'm keeping my HR10 until I know for sure that I can rely on their new dvr!
When did you get your HR10?
You are one of the very few people I have seen that stated they have to give back the HR10

· Banned
686 Posts
interesting that retailers are out of stock on the unit..

sounds almost like they have halted production until they can work out some hardware bugs..

if this is true, i wonder if there will be any notification to existing owners...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
matto said:
interesting that retailers are out of stock on the unit..

sounds almost like they have halted production until they can work out some hardware bugs..

if this is true, i wonder if there will be any notification to existing owners...
Actually it is the opposite.
They have doubled the production capacity, to catch up and meet demand.

They really are completely out of stock on them.... to the point they halted Employee Purchases of the unit.

· Legend
108 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
When did you get your HR10?
You are one of the very few people I have seen that stated they have to give back the HR10
Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, I've had my HR10 for a while, it was purchased from BB, so I own it, but in order to keep it D* wanted me to pay $299 for the HR20 or $99 for a trade, but I told them I wanted to keep both for $99, retention rep was nice enough to accept and inculded the free dish install.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
This is really making me nervous. My appointment this week was cancelled (2 hours before install) and rescheduled for Monday because they are out of the HR20. They assure me that they will have the unit Monday, but it looks like this could be wishful thinking and I'll be receiving another round of apologies and perhaps more free programming, although I would much prefer to have the dvr and be done with it.

· Legend
108 Posts
Gators 1 said:
although I would much prefer to have the dvr and be done with it.
No rush, you're just asking for a big headache! :) looks like you're in FL too, hopefully you won't get the same idiot I got for your install! No English, spent half the time on the phone (with his GF I'm assuming), left a mess behind, while drilling a whole through the wall hit something and caused the circuit in living room to die, kept laughing at me cuz I wanted 2 dvrs, and the list goes on! It hasn't been a great experience for me! Oh well, I got my new Oppo dvd player today, at least I have a new toy to play with this weekend!

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say you have every right to be cautious in thinking they will have them in Monday. The guy I talked to said he has NO IDEA when they are getting more in. If he was going to get any next week I am sure D* (S*?) would have told them already.

My guy also told me that if he gets them in time my install will be on the same day (next Friday) I find that hard to believe since there must be peopel that were supposed to get them three weeks ago that are bumped before me. Oh well time to call retention. This might be goodbye.

Gators 1 said:
This is really making me nervous. My appointment this week was cancelled (2 hours before install) and rescheduled for Monday because they are out of the HR20. They assure me that they will have the unit Monday, but it looks like this could be wishful thinking and I'll be receiving another round of apologies and perhaps more free programming, although I would much prefer to have the dvr and be done with it.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
webpatk said:
I received a replacement for a defective unit on 10/11. Mfg date for the box was 10/2.
Slightly newer smell than mine! Received my 1st REPLACEMENT unit Monday, Oct. 9 with a manufacturing date of October 1....DOA! could not acquire programming nor program data downloads....and YES....the 5 LNB fish checkout out A-Okay. (My 1st unit was received September 13 (I live in the foothills ofLos Angeles) and I enjoyed 10 viewing days unit the video froze.

Am now awaiting my 3rd unit. An order confirmation number was given me @ 1:00p today. (M'm crossing my fingers & toes)

11 years of subscribership...and now this !

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I called retention and got $10 off, 4 moinths HDDVD if and when the HR20 is installed., 3 months Stars, 3 Months Shpwtime and $150 more credit towards the HR20 if and when it gets installed and I am not obligated to any of it. I can cancel at any time and trust me if the installer is not here next Friday i will be doing exactly that because she almost basically admitted that they are all out of deals to give me for waiting.

· Mentor
37 Posts
philn said:
Slightly newer smell than mine! Received my 1st REPLACEMENT unit Monday, Oct. 9 with a manufacturing date of October 1....DOA! could not acquire programming nor program data downloads....and YES....the 5 LNB fish checkout out A-Okay. (My 1st unit was received September 13 (I live in the foothills ofLos Angeles) and I enjoyed 10 viewing days unit the video froze.

Am now awaiting my 3rd unit. An order confirmation number was given me @ 1:00p today. (M'm crossing my fingers & toes)

11 years of subscribership...and now this !
LOL. Sounds all to familiar. My first one was DOA also. I am now on my third unit and tonight the sound suddenly went out on my HDMI connection. I will be trying a new cable and if that doesn't work, I guess it is time for number for number 4. Between my HR20's and my six replacement R15's I am starting to know the people at my local FED EX office by name.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Wow, so many HR20s, so many replacements. And not one D*fender adding their two cents. Weird.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for now I am going to ride out the storrm and see if the install happens on Friday. I am not hopeful that it will but with everything they have given me it seems worth it to wait at least and see if if I can get it on that day.

I may also call and see if they see loan me a standard def DVR while I wait. It's not having rewind and the ability to tape 4 shows at once (between two rooms) that is killing me. Has anyone ever heard of them doing anything like this?

On the D* front it seems the one receiver is shared by two rooms and my wife and I do not think we woiuld like that so much as it limits how much we can record at once and overall recording space is less. We would lose a tivo based unit with 70 hours if we switched.

Ugh.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Directv CSR's were recently notified this week of the shortage on the HR20 due to the extra high demand for the equipment a CSR cant tell if the installer has the equipment or not' they can only go by the information provided by the install company that they have a date available for the install only the techs and their warehouse know if they have them in stock or not; I know that the company should call way ahead to confirm the appointment and should notify earlier if they cant do the installation

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.