DBSTalk Forum banner
181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
The limitation on multiple genies is a policy one, not a technical one. I have had (with pre-production engineering equipment) two genies plus other HR2x series all running at the same time. I no longer do, and would not be able to reactivate any of the older equipment now that it is shut off. But it did work.
Same here.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
The limitation on multiple genies is a policy one, not a technical one. I have had (with pre-production engineering equipment) two genies plus other HR2x series all running at the same time. I no longer do, and would not be able to reactivate any of the older equipment now that it is shut off. But it did work.
I can see one or two Genies but the proposition was that they would somehow use Genie Lites (and presumably Genie Minis) in place of H25s in enviroments with lots of displays. I reason that this might require some fairly careful (and trivial to screw up) partitioning of the cabling network.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I can see one or two Genies but the proposition was that they would somehow use Genie Lites (and presumably Genie Minis) in place of H25s in enviroments with lots of displays. I reason that this might require some fairly careful (and trivial to screw up) partitioning of the cabling network.
AFAIK Directv never did this anywhere. There may have been speculation here they might do it, but they didn't.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Clients are never used but multiple genie lites are installed at business pretty regularly using single tuner mode.
Yes using them in single tuner mode is fine, but you don't need any "careful partitioning of the cabling network" for that.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
AFAIK Directv never did this anywhere. There may have been speculation here they might do it, but they didn't.
I didn't raise the idea. That honor belongs to Claude. I was asking how it might be implemented as an alternative to the current commercial schemes.

Not to defend the idea, but that it hasn't been done yet certainly doesn't mean that it won't be done going forward. At some point, the population of H25s to going to die out and it seems less reasonable to speculate that DIRECTV is going to start building H25s (or similar) again.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
What if they turned on all 16 tuners and gave HS17's and clients to commercial establishments? Or do they still plan on using those extra tuners for reverse band stuff (or whatever its called)?
They could (even if only for 7 tuners) but they don't. HS17 would be annoying for commercial use for two reasons. One, the form factor sucks for commercial, and two you can't turn off the built-in wifi if you aren't using it. But the clients would allow wireless for those want to use it, and you could use ethernet instead of coax wiring if you wanted (using a DECA at the client to convert back to coax at the last foot)

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
HR24's quite rare. They are keeping H24's in stock for select situations. I would buy a cheap WD green drive, pop the cover and replace it. By the time you're done with it dtv ain't gonna even want it back.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts