DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
AllStar
212 Posts
They could not activate the HR24 they sent me either, and this was almost 6 or 8 months ago. They ended up just allowing me to cancel my contract and return my Genie, and start streaming ATT TV instead. I have two HR24s, 3 H24s, and 1 H25 in a box, just wishing ATT was going to get rid of DirecTv to a company that cared about customers, but doesnt look like it will happen in my lifetime.
That reminds me that this happened to me maybe a year ago. It went up the tech train and finally got to what sounded like US support and they were eventually able to activated it. I hear there were plenty of bugs in the ATT management software that was rolled out and some have got caught in the middle. The techs were mumbling about the disaster the tools were. I think mine was related to an account transition error and how they entered the replacement HR24 in the account. The HR24 works fine so I'm not going to try to fix something not broken, but it does not show up on my equipment list (its is included in the bill of course). I suspect the next time I need tech support it will be a mess.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I had an HR24 die on me this past week. Among among my other receivers is an HR54. They sent a Genie client to replace the HR24 and told me they were no longer shipping HR24s, but they did require me to return my HR24. I’m guessing they just don’t have adequate inventory to ship out the HR24s now and are trying to refurbish enough to allow them to ship out in the future.

Reactions: Bitterman

·
Icon
1,665 Posts
I had an HR24 die on me this past week. Among among my other receivers is an HR54. They sent a Genie client to replace the HR24 and told me they were no longer shipping HR24s, but they did require me to return my HR24. I'm guessing they just don't have adequate inventory to ship out the HR24s now and are trying to refurbish enough to allow them to ship out in the future.
Bingo. shortage but they also want all those old irds off because HDDvrs will start losing features soon. VOD will be one that won't work soon. All new activations should be genie and client very few exceptions.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had an HR24 die on me this past week. Among among my other receivers is an HR54. They sent a Genie client to replace the HR24 and told me they were no longer shipping HR24s, but they did require me to return my HR24. I'm guessing they just don't have adequate inventory to ship out the HR24s now and are trying to refurbish enough to allow them to ship out in the future.
They actually sent me a HR24.... Then wouldn't activate it...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Legend
377 Posts
Must be a full moon. My HR24 started over heating and restarting. Called as was told no replacement. No tech. Nothing. Only a mini. I don’t want that. I use the tuners. Any ideas? Will they activate a HR24 if I get one on eBay. Would an external hard drive or external cooler fix? If so any recommendations for affordable ones? This is a new low in service for a company already below rock bottom.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
No, they will not activate any HR24 you can manage to get your hands on, even if it is from them (see previous comments in this thread). Your only hope is to repair yours. If it is in a cabinet, move it out where it gets good ventilation. Maybe put a laptop cooling fan under it. You can try an external drive, but you will have to switch back to the internal drive to view any current recordings.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
Must be a full moon. My HR24 started over heating and restarting. Called as was told no replacement. No tech. Nothing. Only a mini. I don't want that. I use the tuners. Any ideas? Will they activate a HR24 if I get one on eBay. Would an external hard drive or external cooler fix? If so any recommendations for affordable ones? This is a new low in service for a company already below rock bottom.
What HR24 MFR is it? -100, -200 or -500? Just replace the fan and you will be good to go.

Fan replacements have been discussed in many threads here.

If DirecTV won't send and activate a replacement, they will not activate jack from somewhere else. Even if you connect an external drive, it will still likely overheat. Long term fix is just to replace the fan.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts

·
AllStar
146 Posts
Weird… my HR24-100 just went belly up. Video was skipping.. not it comes on but freezes after getting thru the checks. Can I replace internal drive or just use external? What’s the external drive I can use these days?

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,619 Posts
Reactions: Rich and jimmie57
21 - 40 of 193 Posts